Author Topic: The "T" Word...  (Read 4488 times)

bunnysandefur

The "T" Word...
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:02:22 AM »
So I want to inquire about the Tassimo systems. Why? Because I'm a masochist.

In a failing attempt to be brief... I know how terrible these instant systems tend to be. We made a huge mistake about a year ago and purchased a Keurig. Appalling machine. One of its biggest flaws was not being able to get the water hot enough. I've felt bodily fluids that were warmer than the coffee that machine produced, but that's another story. For our programmable, automatic coffee maker we have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 and it's lovely. However, we keep ridiculous hours; my significant other goes to work at 4 am (he's leaving as I type this) and is not capable of doing much at this hour, short of getting himself dressed. It would be nice if he could just stick a cup in and make his own d*** coffee without me having to set it for him hours in advance and then clean up his mess when I wake up at 6 am.

Thankfully we were able to return that God forsaken Keurig.... but now I have a holiday coupon that would save me $70 on one of these Bosch Tassimo units, and I see their little cups everywhere and I wonder "Could this really be as bad?" I certainly don't care about the "brand name" coffee cups, just the convenience when we're tired and in a serious rush.

I know the Nespresso machines turn out a decent cup of espresso, as I've tried them a few times at Williams and Sonoma, but I can't stand the fact that I have to buy exclusive Nestle espresso cups. That's just nuts. At least the Tassimo cups are cheaper and they sell them in most grocery chains.

So has anyone tried the Tassimo machines, and if so, for what (espresso or coffee), and what do I need to be warned about?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Re: The "T" Word...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »

So has anyone tried the Tassimo machines, and if so, for what (espresso or coffee), and what do I need to be warned about?

Yes.  :-X  :-X  :-X My parents had one--  I'd rather do without.  (They now have one of those superauto dealies and that's at least an improvement)

I have a pair of these

(Holds a full pot of drip  ;D)

Make coffee the night before, preheat with water, lid on finger tight, and it's hot and ready to go the next morning.  I frequently make one pot for the road one day and another for the next morning when I'm going to the coffee hinterlands.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
I'm a little confused. If the cuisinart works ok for you, why do you need something else? Is it that you need coffee ready at two different times? Two machines maybe? I guess I just don't understand the problem because you say "we have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 and it's lovely."

As for brewing the night before, even though the thermos keeps it hot, it will still degrade in quality over the six or so hours of sleepy time.

Why not set the cuisinart for four AM, then have your SO pour the remainder into a thermos, which will then be waiting for you when you wake up leisurely at 8 am or whenever.

Dunno about those other fancy coffee makers. I'm into french press lately. Takes only three minutes (I have hot water always on hand). Just grind and let sit. Drink. Grinding is 20 secs tops. Sorry I'm not more help...
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »

As for brewing the night before, even though the thermos keeps it hot, it will still degrade in quality over the six or so hours of sleepy time.

Still better than Tassimo.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

northwestmark

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
A Tassimo is just a way to underextract preground, stale, tasteless coffee one cup at a time.
Is that really what you want? You would do much better buying a really nice 12oz bag of Stumptown wholebean coffee (or Kuma Coffee) at $12-$16 and have 10-12 fantastic single cup french presses or that will buy you 14-16 Tassimo pods.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
as far as the stanley thermos, excellent choice, the bolt is another one that does great but I must warn all now.  do NOT fill it too much, when you screw down the cap, itll pressurize, pop the seal and then the thermos is crap and the warranty doesn't cover your stupidity.  I wrecked a good nissan that way  >:(

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
I've tried almost everything out there..

If he absolutely has to have a pod based or (super simple foolproof and very easy to operate) system I'd go for the Nespresso.

I say that because if you buy only the special announcement limited release capsules and do some temp surfing it's possible for you to get something drinkable out of it as well.

If you don't plan on using it and he doesn't care/know any better then the Tassimo might be ok....I have not tried the cup you can fill with your own coffee but the pre-packed are disastrous to my taste.  :-X The thing being if you are going to grind and pack your own cup using a pourover cone is almost as easy and 1000X's better so why do it?

If you gotta do pods I say Nespresso and realize those little suckers are expensive, I think they were $0.75 each when I used them and I normally used at least 2 per session. You also have to remember to order ahead as not to run out.. It's a PITA system but it's the only thing below a decent superauto that gives you drinkable coffee at that level of convenience.    
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

bunnysandefur

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
Why not set the cuisinart for four AM, then have your SO pour the remainder into a thermos, which will then be waiting for you when you wake up leisurely at 8 am or whenever.

Dunno about those other fancy coffee makers. I'm into french press lately. Takes only three minutes (I have hot water always on hand). Just grind and let sit. Drink. Grinding is 20 secs tops. Sorry I'm not more help...

That's certainly a good suggestion... and it's 6 AM, buster  :P
The big problem is him not being able to walk straight when he wakes up, let alone pour hot water. I'm concerned with him just pouring the hot coffee from the carafe into the thermos, let alone boiling water. If it's not sitting there waiting for him, it's not going to happen either. I guess I'm just sounding like a whining girlfriend now, but if I didn't care about him getting some form of coffee, I wouldn't be bothering. Yes, getting a second Cuisinart has crossed my mind. Still, I'd be cleaning out two units in the morning then, and that whole disposable plastic cup thing seems like it would be a blessing. It's just tempting, and basically I want to be talked out of it. So keep going, it's working  ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
If I understand the problem (early bird of the house needs caffeine on demand at 3 am and you want good coffee at a more sane hour of the morning) then I have to agree with MMW... yes the time in thermos degrades the flavor but my Thermos brand thermax insulated thermos is filled with about a liter of fresh hand poured pourover coffee at around 4:30 am and even though I have a cup on the way to work.. a hot cup at 9am break and at lunch... I occasionally have enough left over for a warm cup for the ride home. so between bed time and 3 am I think your coffee will be better than tassimo and definitely cheaper...  

I have also used the thermos for hot water that I make an instant noodle/soup with as well as tea or pour over coffee

IMHO

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
I don't think the thermos thing will work....

I am assuming if Mr. stumble pants can't pour hot water it's going to be a set on timer to auto-brew situation.

That = coffee preground the night before.

Coffee at 6am that was ground the night before, brewed at 4am, and poured in a thermos is not going to work.  :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

yorel23

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 04:09:07 PM »

I am assuming if Mr. stumble pants can't pour hot water it's going to be a set on timer to auto-brew situation.

Coffee at 6am that was ground the night before, brewed at 4am, and poured in a thermos is not going to work.  :-\

Not optimal.  Agreed.  However, better than the Tassimo.  :-X

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »
  However, better than the Tassimo.  :-X

You have a point...  ;)

Lee Morrison

yorel23

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
I would buy one of these before I bought the Tassimo.  I had one of the older styles (non thermal carafe) and it brewed a pretty good cup of coffee.  I never left the hopper full of beans though.  Just put in the right amount the night before, set the timer, and WHAM! very good coffee in the morning.  Broke it during a move though  :( and have never replaced it.  Never did check the brewing temps, but I know it was hotter than most brewers that I have used.  The thermal carafe is just an added bonus.

bunnysandefur

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »

Coffee at 6am that was ground the night before, brewed at 4am, and poured in a thermos is not going to work.  :-\

You're pretty accurate on what I was thinking. While I doubt anyone would endorse the Nespresso, I figured those machines were the least worst of the automatic, cup loading machines. It's not the best model, but I found one of the machines on eCost for just $100. Never bought anything through this vendor though, so I'm a bit paranoid. The Tassimo just seemed to be going for a good (cheap) price, and while I believe you get what you pay for, it never hurts to ask. I was kind of surprised that people have mentioned the Keurig machines on the board, I found nothing about the Tassimo. Now I know why.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:20:59 PM by bunnysandefur »

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »
I probably don't understand the problem, but I do understand this...

Given the options I would recommend an alarm clock set 3mins earlier + (step 1) a $3 pour over + (step 2) a travel mug + (step 3) 20gms of home roast and a burr grinder + (step 4) a kettle of hot water = solution.

Generally speaking, most people should be capable of organizing their own coffee in the morning as they are putting peanut butter on their bagel (or whatever). If they can't, or don't care enough to do it by themselves there is always the option of office coffee. Don't like office coffee? Set the alarm clock 3mins earlier and complete four easy steps.

Not trying to be mean but why create a substandard product solution when it's not really necessary?