Author Topic: The "T" Word...  (Read 4491 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: The "T" Word...
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
Well don't blink when I hit Colorado. ;-)

I don't blink.  ;D

I actually spent some time today doing recon for your eventual trip.

Here is the first clue... It's a bit of a visual trick but the pic is not upside down.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »

I don't blink.  ;D

Here is the first clue... It's a bit of a visual trick but the pic is not upside down.

Just put down the IR marker when the recon is done and I'll fire up the insertion platform and drop in. ;-)

That image is cool. I think I mentioned my dad used to own a pub when I was a young boy growing up in England. all the bottles lined up like that on push-pour's, and the way the bar is laid out, flashed me back to sitting with 'the big men' at my dad's pub and getting to listen to them tell tales of flying pigeons, fishing, going to a football match, playing darts or dominoes or whatever.

That is a worthy place to put an elbow, I hope they have gravity pull spouts of live beer and packets of crips at that place as well, maybe even some blood pudding, Yorkshire puds and a Melton Mowbray with some Heinz 57 sauce (drool)!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »

I don't blink.  ;D

Just put down the IR marker when the recon is done and I'll fire up the insertion platform and drop in. ;-)

That image is cool. I think I mentioned my dad used to own a pub when I was a young boy growing up in England. all the bottles lined up like that on push-pour's, and the way the bar is laid out, flashed me back to sitting with 'the big men' at my dad's pub and getting to listen to them tell tales of flying pigeons, fishing, going to a football match, playing darts or dominoes or whatever.

That is a worthy place to put an elbow, I hope they have gravity pull spouts of live beer and packets of crips at that place as well, maybe even some blood pudding, Yorkshire puds and a Melton Mowbray with some Heinz 57 sauce (drool)!

WOW.. hope you have a drool proof keyboard... your description of that childhood memory took me back and I have never been to England?!?!

Offline foreRB

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »
Here's a system I have been using for several years, and is the fastest and easiest way I have found. I use a Rocky doserless grinder, and have removed the wire holder. Next I added a small digital scale to the grinder platform. It was purchased on FleeBay and is the size of a deck of cards. That way I can set the drip cone on to the scale, hit the switch and measure the coffee by weight directly into the basket. This scale measures to 1/10th of a gram which is about the weight of one bean, so very accurate. Then slide the cone into my Techivorm and hit the on switch. Given you washed out the cone and filled the water chamber the night before, this would take maybe 20 seconds? The advantage of the Technivorm is super fast heating and brew cycle, It doesn't get much easier and the coffee is spectacular. Pricey, but both units are rated to last a long time so if you ammortize the cost over many years of great coffee.........

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »
A word on the Thermos thing....

I was quick to dismiss it earlier in this thread and from then to now I have had occasion to start using a thermos and want to update my opinion.

My new opinion is that it's a question of degrees of compromise.

I have started to carry a thermos with me (Thermos brand "The Rock") I also have the classic green Stanley but have not tested it yet. And the thing is that the coffee does suffer over the hours but I find that I'm still happy to have it with me on the road when I want some coffee RIGHT NOW.  ;D It's also very nice to be able to pour 4oz's of coffee now and 4 more in 11 min. and they are both perfectly hot.

Anyhow, it's an apology to the thermos I guess because I had the luxury of not needing it before so it was easy to dismiss but now I find it very useful.

It's still not a best solution to the OP but FWIW it's certainly not a horrible solution either.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:02:57 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
I swear by the Thermos Rock.  It works very well.  I swear at its competitors because they are cheap "want-to-be's" who just don't measure up.

:)

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
I swear by the Thermos Rock.  It works very well. 

Yeah, I agree it's pretty good.

I should compare it against the Stanley with some temp tests.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
I swear by the Thermos Rock.  It works very well. 

Yeah, I agree it's pretty good.

I should compare it against the Stanley with some temp tests.

I am certainly not that ambitious but would enjoy viewing your test results.

lp, 7-Ski

Stubbie

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
My Stanley no longer keeps coffee hot - doing a search, seems I'm not the only one.

No liquid leaks out of it, but it's obviously letting heat out at a pretty good clip.  I'm disappointed, I use it quite a bit.

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
My Stanley no longer keeps coffee hot - doing a search, seems I'm not the only one.

No liquid leaks out of it, but it's obviously letting heat out at a pretty good clip.  I'm disappointed, I use it quite a bit.

-Stubbie

Hey Stubbie ... have you ever owned a Thermos?  They last a good time.  I think I have had my current one for 3 years.  Eventually they all give up the ghost unfortunately.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
I thought they were SS inside..  :-X

Why would they ever fade?

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
I thought they were SS inside..  :-X

Why would they ever fade?

I think it is something to do with the air tight seal.  Somehow over time it goes away.

lp, 7-Ski

jsfarq

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »
Isn't it a vacuum between inside and outside?  This may neutralize to normal air pressure over time...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
Isn't it a vacuum between inside and outside?  This may neutralize to normal air pressure over time...

Ahhhh... that strong force weak force thing.

Might be.

If it was just the seal I think replacing the caps would work.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
Ahhhh... that strong force weak force thing.

Might be.

If it was just the seal I think replacing the caps would work.

This article makes reference to it in the fourth point.

lp, 7-Ski