Author Topic: Multiple Barrel Sample Roaster Options?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Multiple Barrel Sample Roaster Options?
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
Does anyone know of any other companies to look at for multiple barrel sample roasters besides Probat - Jabez Burns and Pinhalense?

thejavaman

Re: Multiple Barrel Sample Roaster Options?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
Gothot used to make a three barrel sample roaster.  Any of the brands you mentioned will last forever.  Good luck finding one at a reasonable price though....

Picture in bottom right corner.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:14 PM »
Pinhalense, although the most basic, are around $1500 for a single barrel model. I guess they make them per order. . . So you have to pay when you order and you do not see your roaster for 1-2 months. . . Kind of unsettling. I emailed the manufacturer to get current pricing on 1 to 6 barrel models and should have it soon. I know it is not 'cheap' but when compared to a single barrel probat - jabez burns retailing for $8,000ish new, the Pinhalense looks like quite a deal :) .

Probat purchased Gothot, their only real German competitor, back in the 70s. So, the only way to obtain one would be to find one used. That seems pretty unlikely since Tom from Sweet Marias noted the one at Intelligentsia is the only one he has ever seen.

I wonder why no other large roaster manufacturer produces a multi-barrel sample roasting unit. If you are a serious roaster, for business, I would think that it is almost a necessity. It takes an otherwise tedious job of trial and error and would dramatically cut down on time invested in testing blends / blend ratios / roast levels / roast profiles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:42:03 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »
I'm curious about why you're looking for one.  Can you divulge?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
I am simply obsessed :) . It is odd to me that more manufacturers do not offer multis! I will post pricing on the Pinhalenses when they get back to me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:16:47 PM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
I am simply obsessed :) .

It would fit right in with the lever machine collection.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »
I am simply obsessed :) . It is odd to me that more manufacturers do not offer multis! I will post pricing on the Pinhalenses when they get back to me.

If my wife sees this thread she will not let me play with you :D

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
Haha. I have a 2.5kg Has Garanti sitting in a sealed crate in my garage :) . I am just waiting for friends to come over and help me carry it into my place! So, I do not think my friends and I will be buying / needing a multi for a little while, but you can never be to informed. . . right?!?

thejavaman

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 04:38:29 AM »
I wonder why no other large roaster manufacturer produces a multi-barrel sample roasting unit. If you are a serious roaster, for business, I would think that it is almost a necessity. It takes an otherwise tedious job of trial and error and would dramatically cut down on time invested in testing blends / blend ratios / roast levels / roast profiles.

Good point.

There was a member here once a while back (he lived in Denmark I think) that used to restore these multi-barrel sample roasters as a hobby.  I remember him posting pictures about the process of doing it and all (and me subsequently drooling).  I can't remember what his username was though....   :icon_scratch:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:45:57 AM by thejavaman »

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:40 AM »
Can you profile a barrel sample roaster?  I thought it was merely an off/off apparatus.  Never seen one in the flesh.
B|Java

thejavaman

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »
Can you profile a barrel sample roaster?

IIRC, on some models you can (may require a PID or other modification) and on others you can't.  I, however, have only seen one up close and personal in my life (a single barrel Probat) which did not allow you profile the roast at all....

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »
I think that member redid them for good reason! If you look at Coffeetec.com a used old single barrel Quantik sample roaster sells for $5,999.00, a double goes for $8,150.00, an old Jabez Burns single goes for $8,000.00, a double goes for $11,000, and hold your seat. . . a six barrel runs about $30,000.00. These are used pieces! New they go up another few thousand. With prices like that, and most of them being very basic with no chaff collection, and some of the old ones do not even have temperature gauges.

The trouble is that I have never seen a used multi-barrel roaster that was not on a resellers website. They must be more plentiful in Denmark. . .

On the nicer sample roasters you can profile. The newer Probat Jabez-Burnsa has an integrated control system that allows the user to profile set temperatures and product colors. You can also arrange heat reduction and steps of completion. when your standards are met it will alarm and a light flashes to get your attention, so you can go over and dump the beans.

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure Intelligentsia uses an old school probat, not sure how many barrels, four or so. They do a lot of samples daily. I think they were doing 100 in one day, the last time I was there. Crazy.  It is in their cupping lab, second floor, at their Fulton facility.

If you ever go there, you should ask to check it out. Yeah, I suspect it is on/off. But this was two years ago I'm remembering, so who knows now.

The coffeetec prices quoted above are realistic numbers. They aren't cheap, but they are pretty close to market pricing.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
Intelligentsia uses a Gothot sample roaster. Gothot was purchased by Probat quite some time ago, in the 70s somewhere. Actually all of the large drum roasters they use are old original Gothots as well. They are quite unique looking roasters. Anyway, the Gothot Sample roaster they use does have a thermocouple for each drum. I am sure that is not original :) . Here is the picture from the earlier listed link.

Here is a picture of their large 90 kilo Gothot as well.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:42:12 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
While I am posting pictures I will post pics of the brands / models of multis I know of, so differences can be noted. The brands / models in the pictures are as follows:
                                - Pinhalense TC-0
                                - Pinhalense Roaster Gourmet
                                - Mecamau Torrador Domestiso
                                - Older Quantik
                                - New Quantik
                                - Older Jabez Burns
                                - New Probat - Jabez Burns.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:09:58 AM by Warrior372 »