Author Topic: Multiple Barrel Sample Roaster Options?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Multiple Barrel Sample Roaster Options?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
How much does the Mecamau Torrador Domestiso go for?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I am unsure of the cost of a Mecamau Torrador Domestico. I emailed them yesterday for pricing. . . I haven't heard back. I am not completely surprised as their website is completely in spanish, without an option for english anywhere. I will post it if / when I hear back. Their site says they are located in city of San Jose, but not which country . . . I know there is a San Jose, Costa Rica. Anyway, I also noticed that Pinhal is mentioned on their site, which is the city in which Pinhalense is located in Brazil. I am not sure if there is an affiliation there, but the machines look very similar.

I spied prices on the internet that other people had paid for the single barrel Pinhalense. They varied from $1,300 to $1,500 which included freight. the odd part is, that in both instances they said the company required them to pay for the machine upfront. Only after receiving your payment in full would they start producing your roaster. . . . it must be nice being able to successfully run that business moel. . . . From submitting payment it looks like it takes 1-2 months for the machine to built and for you to receive it at your door. I also spotted a new 6 barrel Pinhalense for just under $9k, which is quite a deal for a 6 barrel machine that accommodates 300g per barrel. That would be almost 4lbs total. Most new 2kg roaster are in that general neighborhood, without the obvious ability to do 6 different roasts at once.

There has to be a few engineers and a metal shop owner in the forum somewhere. . . The Pinhalense and Mecamau can not be that hard to reproduce. . . can they?!? The barrels, regardless of how many your model has, are all turned by the same worm drive that runs the length of the machine and a gear on the rear of each barrel, which is driven by one motor. Maybe I just do not know anything about engineering :) .
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:19:33 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
They must have been burned many a time with people not paying a product that was already shipped.  This way they have payment up front.  When you don't have a business relationship with someone it is always prudent to be safe than sorry.

IMHO.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
I also spotted a new 6 barrel Pinhalense for just under $9k, which is quite a deal for a 6 barrel machine that accommodates 300g per barrel. That would be almost 4lbs total. Most new 2kg roaster are in that general neighborhood, without the obvious ability to do 6 different roasts at once.

You need to do 6 different roasts?

6 different roasts with no profiling, at that?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
They made Tom from Sweet Maria's pay up front. That is one of a few reasons he chose to not carry the machine, it did not stop him from buying a few though. With his cupping / buying presence throughout Central and South America, and his sales volume of more than 500,000lbs of green beans last year, if he can not get a line of credit with them I do not think there is hope for the rest of us :). It looks like a deal none the less within the realm of sample roasters! Maria said that Tom had to tinker with it every now and then, but overall it served it's purpose at a very reasonable price.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »
As long as the model has a thermometer mounted to tell you the internal barrel temp, which even the most basic models do, you can profile. Most of the models have a gas grill like power control knob to control the propane output up or down allowing you to control temperature. Some of the nicer models i.e. the Quantik and Probat - Jabez Burns allow for easier profiling, i.e digital temp gauges, even digital profile tracking on some. . . but then again I guess if a one barrel cost $8k and a 6 is going to cost around $30k, Jabez Burns, they should be able too.

I am definitely not implying I need a 6 barrel sample roaster, but a 2 or 3 barrel would be nice. I would not even need one of the super fancy ones. . . one of the more basic models would be sufficient  ;D.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:42:39 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »
I am definitely not implying I need a 6 barrel sample roaster, but a 2 or 3 barrel would be nice. I would not even need one of the super fancy ones. . . one of the more basic models would be sufficient  ;D.

A two-barrel model like this does a nice job.   :D     The price might be inhibitive tho'.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:57:22 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
Haha. I actually have had a Stir Crazy for about 10 months now. I have all of the accessories needed to modify it too, I just could not find a convection top for under $100. . . which just did not make it worth-while to me. I hear great things about them :) . Do you call that the 2 stick model? I have the stir crazy sitting right next to me. . . I can bring it next weekend and you could make it a 3 stick model?!?

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »
I am unsure of the cost of a Mecamau Torrador Domestico. . . their website is completely in spanish, without an option for english anywhere. I will post it if / when I hear back. Their site says they are located in city of San Jose, but not which country . . . I know there is a San Jose, Costa Rica. Anyway

That is Portuguese and the company is in Brazil.  Sao Jose (St Joseph) is part of their branding/product line.  Their address is in the city of Espírito Santo do Pinhal, state of Sao Paulo.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:56:41 AM by BoldJava »

thejavaman

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 04:43:16 AM »
I am unsure of the cost of a Mecamau Torrador Domestico. . . their website is completely in spanish, without an option for english anywhere. I will post it if / when I hear back. Their site says they are located in city of San Jose, but not which country . . . I know there is a San Jose, Costa Rica. Anyway

That is Portuguese and the company is in Brazil.  Sao Jose (St Joseph) is part of their branding/product line.  Their address is in the city of Espírito Santo do Pinhal, state of Sao Paulo.

B|Java

B|Interpreter to the rescue!   ;) ;D :P

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 05:48:04 AM »
I am a rank amateur in Portuguese.  "Sao" was the dead-give-away for me.  Would love to visit there, Mardi Gras time.

The Czarina has other ideas.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »
Interesting. . . I wonder if the two companies are related. It is odd that they are both in the same city.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
I received the Pinhalense quotes today. These prices include crating and insured shipping to either Port Arthur near Houston, TX or the Port of New Jersey. Airfreight directly to O'Hare Airport in Chicago added another $300 for the 1 barrel and about $550 for the 6 barrel.

All of the roasters can be used with either Natural Gas or Propane, with the included statement that NG has to be run a 'higher than normal' pressure. The prices include a spare 18 tooth cog and the worm drive 'endless screw'.

1 Barrel Sample Roaster - $1,772.00
2 Barrel Sample Roaster - $2,850.00
3 Barrel Sample Roaster - $3,890.00
4 Barrel Sample Roaster - $5,211.00
5 Barrel Sample Roaster - $6,229.00
6 Barrel Sample Roaster - $7,348.00

You have to wire them money in advance to a New York bank account, and the entire process to the port takes 45 days. I guess the reported prices of $1,300 - $1,500 to port were back in early - mid 2000 when the US Dollar was not as weak as it currently is. I think someone should buy on, bring it to a machine shop and have them replicate it :) ! . . . or is that illegal. . .
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:39:04 AM by Warrior372 »

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Interesting. . . I wonder if the two companies are related. It is odd that they are both in the same city.

That is the heart of the industrial machinery area of Brazil.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
It sounds like you have traveled to Brazil a time or two? I still think it is ironic that the two companies are so close to one another. How good is your Portuguese? Mecamau has not responded to my initial inquiry. Are you versed enough to shoot them off an email asking for unit pricing?