Author Topic: Has anyone made their own Bottomless Portafilter?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Has anyone made their own Bottomless Portafilter?
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
I am curious if anyone has attempted to make their own bottomless portafilter with a circular drill saw? If so how did that work out?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Has anyone made their own Bottomless Portafilter?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
Oh yeah..... loads of people.

It works great and depending on how good your tools/skills are it might look good too.

Mine works fantastically and looks like hell.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
Perfect! I will add that to my list of things to purchase this week!

thejavaman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:23 AM »
Oh yeah..... loads of people.

It works great and depending on how good your tools/skills are it might look good too.

Mine works fantastically and looks like hell.

+1.  I have a Carezza like John too.  It is pretty easy to do if you have the right tools.

HB HAS A THREAD ON IT that does a decent job explaining the step-by-step.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:36:19 AM by thejavaman »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
Will i be fine with a circular drill saw, drill, vise grips, and a dremel for smoothing things out? Or do you really have to drill 20 holes in a circle around the portafilter like they do in that thread :) ?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
 It is pretty easy to do if you have the right tools.

There was a time (it's hard to believe now) when it was debatable. I decided to hack mine on the spur of the moment one day and just grabbed a Dremel tool and a few min. later it was done. My thinking was to test the idea and then buy a professionally done job later on.

But this machine has become such a Frankenstein lab experiment to me that I almost wonder if I'm going to be sad when it's finally all prim and proper.   :-\

The shots have told me they don't mind the hatchet job at all and will not reward me any style points for cleaning up so I delay further and further.....
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

thejavaman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
...Will i be fine with a circular drill saw, drill, vise grips, and a dremel for smoothing things out?...

Absolutely.

...do you really have to drill 20 holes in a circle around the portafilter like they do in that thread :) ?...

Not necessarily.  It helps to do that to make the circle you're cutting more "perfect", but if you've got a steady hand and use common sense you should be fine with the above mentioned tools...

Tex

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
I am curious if anyone has attempted to make their own bottomless portafilter with a circular drill saw? If so how did that work out?

Not bad.

thejavaman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
...But this machine has become such a Frankenstein lab experiment to me ...

I'm surprised you haven't put a PID on yours yet!   ;)

2008-03-28: Gaggia Carezza w/PID
   :o :o :o

yorel23

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
Will i be fine with a circular drill saw, drill, vise grips, and a dremel for smoothing things out? Or do you really have to drill 20 holes in a circle around the portafilter like they do in that thread :) ?

Why mess with all that stuff?  I just clamped it in a vise in a CNC mill, wrote a little program, and VOILA!!    8)

What?  Doesn't everyone have a CNC mill right outside their office door?    ;D

Tex

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »

Why mess with all that stuff?  I just clamped it in a vise in a CNC mill, wrote a little program, and VOILA!!    8)

Yeah, but I like old-school technology. 8)

thejavaman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
..I just clamped it in a vise in a CNC mill, wrote a little program, and VOILA!!    8)

Sweet.  You should advertise that and charge $25.00 A POP + shipping.   ;D

yorel23

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »

Yeah, but I like old-school technology. 8)

Yeah, but most of us aren't retired and looking for an excuse to get up out of the ol' rocking chair every once in a while!  ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
I'm surprised you haven't put a PID on yours yet!   ;)

I've started to a few times but it hasn't happened yet.

It will just because it's inevitable but the truth is I don't need it yet so it hasn't happened. I've done a lot of temp testing and am very comfortable with my ritual. If it became a problem I'd probably panic and pay priority shipping to get it done ASAP but it's not the case.

Lee Morrison

yorel23

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
..I just clamped it in a vise in a CNC mill, wrote a little program, and VOILA!!    8)

Sweet.  You should advertise that and charge $25.00 A POP + shipping.   ;D

Then it would seem too much like work!  ;D