Author Topic: What roaster would you buy today?  (Read 14018 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: What roaster would you buy today?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is an SC/TO?

Stir Crazy/Turbo Oven.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline scubadoo2

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
Thanks, now I know.

Offline hottop

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
If you are upgrading from a SC/CO or other fluid bed type roaster, I would consider an RK drum and propane grill.  My coffee journey consisted of the popper, SC/CO, heatgun dog bowl a few times, hottop and RK drum.  The RK drum is very simple and uses a readily obtained control system-your brain.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is easy to produce good coffee that your family and friends will enjoy.  It was relatively easy to put together and then modify the propane grill. I got the grill and the sheet aluminum required from the depot. The other component you have to consider with a system like this is bean cooling. I went from using an air compressor and a 5 gallon bucket to a shop vac and colander which is what I am using now.  The only reason I am now trying to sell mine is to upgrade to something with a smaller footprint.
Hottop
Punta Gorda, FL
Hottop
Sonofresco

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
^^^ good post.

The only drawbacks for me are the requirement to roast out of doors, and difficulty in measuring bean temp.  But I have had some very well-roasted coffees from an RK/grill.

Not meant to contest the validity of either, but if batch size wasn't an issue, my preference would still be the SC/TO due to the above two limitations as well as cost.  Obviously wanting 3# or more per batch makes the RK/BBQ a clear choice.

Offline scubadoo2

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »
I was researching the Stir Crazy/Turbo Oven, but most of the links I found on GCBC were no longer available.  I’d like to build one, they sound like something I need. I’d like to roast a pound at a time if possible.  My Behmore can, but not a good dark roast.  I’ve set it on fire trying to get a large batch dark roasted ;D.
Thanks,
Doug

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 01:59:26 PM »
Getting a lb. net out of a SC/TO is doable but takes more serious mods.  Adding more agitation will do it w/ the provided amount of heat, but just barely and it means replacing the motor and stirring arm, both of which will take some skill. 

Why do you say you'd like a lb. at a time?  Is it arbitrary?  I always hear people throw out that 1-lb. number like it's the holy grail, but never know why.  Unless you're selling it by the lb., who cares if it's 16oz. or 14oz.?

Offline scubadoo2

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
I roast every 10 days, and using a cr1010 from Nesco ( no longer available),
A SR 540 and the behmore.  I mostly use the nesco and the Fresh Roast cr540.
In all, I do 10 - 1/4lb batches.  Something with a larger capacity and home made would be my.
Due to the electric circuit capacity in my garage, I can only run one roaster at a time, so I’m roasting for up to 3 hours each session.  If I could do all in about 3 batch’s, it would be a huge time savings.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Gotcha.  A SC/TO would do that in an hour.

Google messed with my googlepages thing and took down the photos.  Bummer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:57:52 PM by peter »

Offline scubadoo2

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
I noticed on of the links for the sc/to was to your website.  The text was there, but no pictures.  I’m pretty handy, so if I had good instructions and pictures I could make it.  But the few writups I found were less than adequate.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
The stirring arm can be modded in any number of ways.  My version made from a coat hanger was designed for both small and larger batches, but it's a compromise.  If you were going to stick to 12oz and up, the stock arm with some adaptations would be better.

Splicing a properly-rated toggle switch into the power to the heating element is needed and is fairly straigtforward.

I use a 1" aluminum bar bent into a circle as the spacer to lift the top unit away from the beans.  To go much higher seems too much distance from the beans.  I also cut a groove into the spacer to drop a thermo probe into the beans; there are a few different ways to get temp measurements but that worked well for me.  I attached the spacer w/ 3 screws so that the last 90* of the circle could be propped open to release chaff and modulate heat, but find that I don't actually use that feature.

Offline scubadoo2

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 05:30:52 PM »
Thanks Peter!

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
Not to hijack this thread but what is the consensus of the Sonofresco? I am toying around with upgrading. Started out with SC/TO for years and then built a KKTO roaster earlier this year. The KKTO gave me the capacity I was looking for and gives a very consistent roast but it's still just a cobbled together roaster that frequently needs minor tweeks and adjustments to keep it going. I'm going to read through the Sonofresco sticky at the top of the page to learn from others but wanted realtime feedback as I have my eye on an affordable 1lb used Sonofresco not far from me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:12:06 AM by Alaroast »
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 12:50:15 PM »
Not to hijack this thread but what is the consensus of the Sonofresco? I am toying around with upgrading. Started out with SC/TO for years and then built a KKTO roaster earlier this year. The KKTO gave me the capacity I was looking for and gives a very consistent roast but it's still just a cobbled together roaster that frequently needs minor tweeks and adjustments to keep it going. I'm going to read through the Sonofresco sticky at the top of the page to learn from others but wanted realtime feedback as I have my eye on an affordable 1lb used Sonofresco not far from me.

They're highly regarded fluid bed roasters AFAIK. I'd buy it if the condition/price/etc checked out and it were my thing. 

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »
So has anybody here had any experience with US Roaster Corp roasters? Went and looked at a propane 3kg roaster today that I can likely get for under 3k. Owner died and family knows nothing about it and want it gone. This thing looks like a very well built roaster in good shape and I’m really tempted.
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 03:49:12 AM »
Unfortunately I do not know much about them so can't be of any real help,but if it is a good roaster, that's a good deal you got there, Id hop on it for sure.  If you end up not liking it, Im sure you could easily flip it for your money back at least.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!