Author Topic: What roaster would you buy today?  (Read 14020 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: What roaster would you buy today?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
I say go for it! 

Is it available for a 'test drive' where it is?  Or at least can you plug it in and hook up a propane tank to make sure it's working?

US Roasters was a very good name in the biz and I've never heard a complaint about their roasters or service.  But I know nothing as to what they're up to today.

The only drawback, assuming this roaster's in good shape would be if you want to do smaller batches.  You could do a lb. on it, but it takes a deft hand and really knowing the roaster to do it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RobertL

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »
I agree with Peter. US Roaster Corp has a good reputation. The big question is around batch size. Do you need a 3kg roaster? I guess if not you could buy it, refurbish it and then sell it. It’s probably worth four times the asking price.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 03:52:31 AM »
OR.... you could start doing 3 kg batches and start selling roasted coffee :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 08:24:14 PM »
Gonna go pick it up tomorrow. Got it for $2k even since we couldn’t get burner lit, only pilot would light. Everything else checked out. It’s gotta be something simple. From what I’ve read, something to do with air flow but it was in the need of a good cleaning.
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »
Excellent!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Paul

• Standard User
  • My stash ^^^
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »
I was researching the Stir Crazy/Turbo Oven, but most of the links I found on GCBC were no longer available.  I’d like to build one, they sound like something I need. I’d like to roast a pound at a time if possible.  My Behmore can, but not a good dark roast.  I’ve set it on fire trying to get a large batch dark roasted ;D.
Thanks,
Doug

Is this what you’re looking for?
http://turbocrazy.atspace.com/index.htm

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »
Update 1 1/2 years later...
I bought the Aillio Bullet and have finally gotten pretty comfortable with it. I'm roasting two 400g batches every other week (that is the amount that usually fills a quart jar after roasting).

I'm not using the software as much as I thought I would. My laptop crashed and I didn't take the time to set it back up. Instead, I've been following a general profile of time/temp/rate of rise/power/fan speed using the control panel. Keeping it simple. But, I'm applying the same profile to every bean. Thankfully with very good results, but I'm sure I'm not hitting peak flavor with each bean type.

Wife loves most batches (as do I) and I'm only spending about 1hr each roasting session. Mission accomplished.

Handy cleaning tip: Star San (sanitizer for home brewing) is a fantastic coffee roasting residue cleaner! Go figure. Dilute it for sanitizing as instructed on the bottle then spray it on. Clean with soft brush or rag and rinse.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions!

A

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
When I used to roast on my I roast, or the Behmor for that matter, Id do pretty much the same thing, Id use a general profile and tweak on the fly mostly via time to get what I needed.  With the B is was more of ok when is the thing going to hit first, then try to pull it before it gets too much into second if it didn't run out of time first.

That does seem to work very well for most beans, you start at a 'good' spot and can go either way from there for perfection if you really want to dial in a bean, but if you don't have the time you are still good to go with what you are at and have a very drinkable / likable coffee out of the thing.

Being easy to clean is always a good thing.  Some would say that,  Cleaning the chaff is an absolute must, as it can cause fire hazards, the grime on the glass, is important but they don't think so critically much.  Unless you got it totally gooped on that it's sticky, all it does is prevent you from seeing the color of the bean perfectly.  I would tend to agree with that but I have seen over the years that, in some fluid beds, grime makes it abrasive and the beans may not want to loft properly, and with the behmor, grunge on the walls can affect it's temp sensing too and cause issues, so yes keeping it clean can be important depending on your unit.

My A6 the stainless loft cone, is dirty but I have a controllable loft so if I need I can give it a little more oomph to get it going.

I DO wonder if really heavy grime can affect an outcome on a roast flavor wise.  I know if you burn chaff, that smoky can infuse a little into the beans, but wonder if heavy grime can affect flavor?  Not sure Id want to try that one  ::sick::

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »
I'd buy an Ikawa home or the Huky again.  If I needed more volume I'd probably get a Buckeye. 

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
The Ikawa home that only does like an ounce or two at a time no?

Aaron

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »
The Ikawa home that only does like an ounce or two at a time no?

Aaron

Yes to the Ikawa.

Its small batch size is offset by its repeatability.  Once the recipe is nailed down its hit go and let it do its thing as many times as desired.  It really is that repeatable with no real effort.  Just takes wrapping the head around a different user experience.

I could sit at my desk and work like normal while it roasts all day a few feet away with non-discernable differences.  It might get old after a bit but still, it doesn't take but a minute to dump then re-load.   Plus I think its easier to get high-quality sample roast results that are transferable to a primary roaster than with some other methods. 

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
brian i agree with you there.  I was looking at the Ikawa seriously for a bit there for sample roasting.
The 2 oz roast size was very appealing to me, as if you pooch a roast or it didn't turn out the way you hoped for, you have a few more shots to try it again with the 8 oz sample that is the typical size you get from any warehouse  ... vs.. an 8 oz roast and if you pooch it, have to call Royal,  uhh, umm, yah, im a dumbass, can you send me another sample please :D :P

What turned me off was the 3k to 4500 dollar price tag of the thing.   Wait a minute now< I already HAVE a 4k roaster, that does down to 8 oz, up to 8 lbs, I am NOT spending another 4 grand for a 2 oz roaster that can talk to my phone...  Granted this was a number of years ago, maybe the price came down a bit but that was just too over the top price wise for me.  A Huky would even work at that range.

Aaron

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 03:06:14 PM »
The ability to get at least 2 roasts out of a sample is another benefit I forgot. 

As an FYI, they have revamped their basic offering - its appx $1000 now.  Not minimizing that amount as its not cheap but it is a lot cheaper than the $5K Pro. 

If I were looking at getting started in roasting with something that could provide a really good cup this would be on my super short list.  So many of the cheaper roasters just don't get it done then there's an upgrade in short order or continued questioning "what am I missing".  Heck, even if one determines roasting isn't something to continue there are several prospective used machine buyers in the wings. 

I bought one of the Poppers to sample roast with.  I want to like it but I can't get a good cup from it: they all taste "roasty" no matter what I do.  Its crazy too because there isn't any smoke retention.  I'm wondering if the beans are picking up burnt chaff. I drop them right at the end of 1C.  The ratio is out of kilter though because of the short roast duration and the fact that 1C tends to run 1 to 1:30.   

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 08:00:21 PM »
popcorn poppers to roast with,  i find yes, they are roasty.  I think it's a combo if way too short roast time and the heat is very hot to get the temp up TO roast, and you can't control it.  Pretty much every roaster has some sort of heat control,with a popcorn popper it's just on full blast.

Well heck, 1000 is very close to  approaching doable now.   3100 was not, I'll have to go look at that thing again,  something that cheap, I could justify much easier and write it off.  Dammit man, I do NOT need another roaster!   i may need to start muting people here !  :D  :P

Aaron

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2022, 06:25:45 PM »
popcorn poppers to roast with,  i find yes, they are roasty.  I think it's a combo if way too short roast time and the heat is very hot to get the temp up TO roast, and you can't control it.  Pretty much every roaster has some sort of heat control,with a popcorn popper it's just on full blast.
...stuff deleted...
Aaron

I started w/a popcorn popper and put a fan speed control on the fan, and a variac on the heater--I think that is pretty common when roasting with a popcorn popper.

-Phil