Author Topic: Gene down – help?  (Read 1271 times)

BozemanEric

Gene down – help?
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:13 AM »
The Gene ramped up at preheat as normal. Once I put the beans in, Aaron's $23 pound Geisha, I started the roast.  It is never the cheap beans that malfunctions happen on. I went about my business in the kitchen but after about eight minutes notice I was not getting any smell. I looked over at the Gene and realized it was only at 105°. I played with it throughout the morning and it continually drops. I can only get around 90° out of it now. 

From what I read, it sounds like my heating element has gone. Would this be anyone else's professional assessment? Where can I get another one of these. I remember reading a while back that parts were going through a new distributor but cannot find the thread on which one. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yay for Klatch's free shipping weekend.

Aromajunkie

Re: Gene down – help?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:02:49 AM by Aromajunkie »

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Great to know there's a new source for parts.
LMWDP #440

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »

From what I read, it sounds like my heating element has gone. Would this be anyone else's professional assessment? Where can I get another one of these. I remember reading a while back that parts were going through a new distributor but cannot find the thread on which one. Thanks in advance for any help.

The problem is that with the transfer of dealership to Batch from FreshRoast, you have to send the machine in to Batch.  The replacement is easy but more expensive now with round trip shipping.  Nuts.

"Gene Cafe Parts

As of September 2013, for product liability concerns, internal parts for the Gene Cafe CBR-101 are no longer sold directly to end users.  All internal parts need to be installed..."

http://www.batchcoffee.com/pages/service

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
Hope you have a back up Roaster while your Gene is getting fixed. I would hate to see those bean go to waste, you can send em over to me!  Good luck on the repair.

BozemanEric

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
I do still have my old Behmor. The problem is we are in a new house that is only about four months old. I do not think I could bring myself to smoking the brand-new house out. It's been so cold that it is even staying around 40° in the garage.  I might need to get a backup roaster.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
If I had your money <cough> I'd just buy another Gene, and use the old one for parts. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you