Author Topic: Conti Empress  (Read 2948 times)

Cammie

Conti Empress
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »
My espresso/coffee equipment pusher friend contacted me a couple of weeks ago.  :)   He knew I had just purchased the Bezzera Family lever and wasn't looking to spend a chunk of money on another machine.  He also knew, I think, that this machine was too special to pass up and he was right.

It's a mostly brass Conti Empress that was restored several years ago.  The seller mentioned that the Empress had lived in the Bay area all of her life until my purchase.  The first part of her life was in a café.  I don't know much more. The seller estimated import date by Cara in the mid-1950s.  She is big and heavy.  I can tell that the brass was coated with something originally.  Most of that is gone.  I cleaned up a lot of the tarnish. It will take several sessions to get her perfectly shiny though. She appears to be in really good shape as far as I can tell.

I am waiting for a Flojet to arrive so I can run her from a water bottle and pull a shot. She, eventually will be plumbed in at my cabin in Arizona.  Here are a few pictures (the last one taken by the seller since I really can't move the machine around too well by myself):

SJM

Re: Conti Empress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
Is there an emoticon for a wolf whistle????
She's gorgeous.

She's a spring lever, right?
How big is the group? 
What do each of those three handles do? 
And are they wood or ???

Spill....

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
Notice that you too, give your machines the feminine pronoun.  Mine is the Swiss Miss.

I saw a Faema from the '50s in a shop in Milwaukee and I just stood there and stood there, admiring it.  I was smitten.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:20:40 PM by BoldJava »

Cammie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
I believe the handles are Bakelite.  I thought they were wood at first.  The middle one is for steaming, the far right for water and the one on the left is the water fill valve. There should have been small badge on the front panel, lower left side. I can see two small screw holes that would have been used to secure the plate.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »
Lever envy..... what a great looking machine. 

I find it very cool how many lever machines this club possesses.  Used to be almost all pump machines.  You kids are growing up!!

ronburleson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
She looks even better than I expected. I'm glad you are able to give her a good home.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
Now THAT is a work of art.  How are the shots?
LMWDP #440

Cammie

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
I'm waiting for the Flojet to arrive.  Someone along the way added an auto-fill to the machine.  I will report back about the shots.

beerANDmathematics

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
Wow, just wow. I usually don't like that bronzed chrome (don't know what it is really called) but it looks soo stunning with the brown bakelite handles on your machine. Good call, once in a lifetime find!

jspain

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
Beautiful looking machine Cammie! Congrats and I'm sure many great shots to come!!!!

russel

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
Hey, nice espresso machine ya got there  ;)