Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73496 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2008, 07:57:12 AM »
Brian Harris (website below) suggests the Avocado Alice, unused, would fetch $50.  He suggests that they are rare and he has not been able to snag one for his collection.  Chad is my latest hero for the tip.

Give Brian' site a view for the history on syphon pots.  Interesting info. 
http://baharris.org/coffee/VacuumCoffeePots.htm/Brewing.htm

B|Java

I'd use it.  I'm not much for collecting.  Here's my short rationale

Avocado Alice, unused: $50

Avocado Alice, used at next B|Avocado coffee fest: Priceless

Agreed.

B|Avocado

BoldJava

« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2008, 06:57:59 AM »
After playing with the Yama for these last weeks, I have learned that depending upon what stage I insert the upper globe (and heat settings), my steep temp can vary from 182 to 198.   I have settled on:

^  Setting electric heat at medium high (7.0/10).  Double check base for moisture, wipe dry.  Put pot on heat with heat diffuser, no upper globe.
^  Waiting until the water is just nearing a boil (watch for steaming prior to bubbles) for globe
^  Putting on the globe at that point, using a Cory rod as filtering element
^  Letting all the water move north (temp is 195), including the 'up whoosh'
^  Adding coffee (ground to a shade finer than pourover).  Reduce heat to 3.5/10.
^  Using a rice paddle to ensure all coffee is saturated -- not stirring per se, but more dunking
^  Steep for 2 minutes
^  Pull from heat
^  Pot moves south, to include the 'down whoosh' which concludes at 50-60 sec off burner

Marvelous cup.  Have enjoyed it for all coffees except the Papua New Guinea Kimel.  The Yama accentuates specific flavor and the marmelade in the Kimel became overbearing.  Will do that one in my gold filter pourover.

B|VeryHappy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:00:57 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »
Cory rods.  Length.

I have both the 5.75" (Cory rod) and the 6.5" (New Cory rod).  You will see posters on CG insist that the 6.5" works better.  I haven't had problem 1 with either rod.  Neither has stalled and find that they work identically well with my process. 

B|Java

garybt3

« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »
Cory rods.  Length.

I have both the 5.75" (Cory rod) and the 6.5" (New Cory rod).  You will see posters on CG insist that the 6.5" works better.  I haven't had problem 1 with either rod.  Neither has stalled and find that they work identically well with my process. 

B|Java

Dave,
I don't believe that either rod 'works' better than the other, all things considered. However, the larger glass rods have a little more mass to them, and that makes a bit of difference. If you allow the heat to get too high, the normal size glass rod will bounce, and a heavier glass rod will stay in place due to the extra weight & will be a lil' bit more forgiving, IMHO.  :P

Same deal with the filter issues. If you have an outstanding grinder, glass rods are the way to go.
If your grinder produces a lot of fines, they will clog either type filter, and I believe the cloth filters are a lil' bit more forgiving, again, IMHO.

Which reminds me, It's almost time to replace my Rocky's burrs...and replace the gaskets in Miss Livia :)

BoldJava

« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
Dave,
I don't believe that either rod 'works' better than the other, all things considered. However, the larger glass rods have a little more mass to them, and that makes a bit of difference. If you allow the heat to get too high, the normal size glass rod will bounce, and a heavier glass rod will stay in place due to the extra weight & will be a lil' bit more forgiving, IMHO.  :P

Same deal with the filter issues. If you have an outstanding grinder, glass rods are the way to go.
If your grinder produces a lot of fines, they will clog either type filter, and I believe the cloth filters are a lil' bit more forgiving, again, IMHO. . .

Thanks, your experience is helpful.  It must be in the design rather than the weight.  The shorter rod weighs 67 grams; the longer "New Cory" weighs 65.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
Same experience with the cory rods (no stalls).  Part of that is improved technique--pulling back on the heat as the final water heads north.  Also, I started adding the coffee after all the water's up north, (mainly for taste--I think the temperature is more even then) which keeps the grounds away from the filter on the upward "whoosh".

BoldJava

« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »
OK, this rod came along with a bunch I bought.  Who made this one?

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:52:26 PM by BoldJava »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »

B|Java

I don't know but I wonder if it was made for a Kent vac pot as an after market replacement for the Kent porcelain filter??

It appears to have more width and definitely shorter than the standard Cory.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:16:15 PM by J.Jirehs Roaster »

BoldJava

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

I don't know but I wonder if it was made for a Kent vac pot as an after market replacement for the Kent porcelain filter??

It appears to have more width and definitely shorter than the standard Cory.

3.75" long.  One segment is 2" to center, the other segment is 1.75."  This is too virile for a Kent <grins>. 

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2008, 04:52:35 AM »
Who will be the 1st to try this in their Yama?  From CG:

I use a siphon coffee maker at home. Adding the asian twist, I add on 4 or more slices of ginger into the vessel, and when the brew's ready, you have a tinge of cooling ginger in the coffee. Best drink without sugar...

Gary?

B|Java

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2008, 06:18:54 AM »
Who will be the 1st to try this in their Yama?  From CG:

I use a siphon coffee maker at home. Adding the asian twist, I add on 4 or more slices of ginger into the vessel, and when the brew's ready, you have a tinge of cooling ginger in the coffee. Best drink without sugar...

The first ime I ever really liked non-espresso coffee was in college.  I just finished shoveling an unusually heavy (for Wisconsin) snow, and when I went back in, my room-mate brewed a percolator coffee with a stick of cinnamon in the basket.  To a very poor college student, that was truly yummy.  If I were to have such today, though,...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:28:22 AM by YasBean »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2008, 06:32:52 AM »

B|Java

Got a note from Brian of the vac pot website.  He doesn't recognize it and suggests it may not be a rod for coffee at all.  Tea steeping and then pull the plug?

B|Java, not B|Tea-r

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

B|Java

Got a note from Brian of the vac pot website.  He doesn't recognize it and suggests it may not be a rod for coffee at all.  Tea steeping and then pull the plug?

B|Java, not B|Tea-r
Nope, I just saw a Cory pot on ebay with this kind of rod.  I would post the link, but it's too long.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »

Nope, I just saw a Cory pot on ebay with this kind of rod.  I would post the link, but it's too long.

If you have a link that is to long to post, try using Tiny URL.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:45:30 AM by headchange4u »

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2008, 07:23:45 AM »
[

If you have a link that is to long to post, try using Tiny URL.
Well, now I see how to use the URL button, so here is the raw link, and here is the TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/6s69u2