Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73494 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2009, 06:57:45 AM »
There stirring paddle that comes with the Yama, with it's wider paddle end and incorporated measuring spoon, is 100% better than what is included with the Bodum:

That Bodum spoon is hysterical.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

cfsheridan

« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
I haven't used the Yama spoon in half a year--grabbed a bamboo paddle, which I used to push/semi-stir the grounds and then to stop the stir so that the coffee is evenly distributed.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
r--grabbed a bamboo paddle, which I used to push/semi-stir the grounds and then to stop the stir so that the coffee is evenly distributed.

Sweet you bamboo-zle the coffee into spec.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2009, 08:50:09 AM »
I haven't used the Yama spoon in half a year--grabbed a bamboo paddle, which I used to push/semi-stir the grounds and then to stop the stir so that the coffee is evenly distributed.

Likewise, use a rice paddle.  You can pick them up for $1.50 in any Asian store.  They immerse a ton of coffee and don't wake Mr. Cory as he snoozes.

B|Java

SusanJoM

« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »
Good Morning, Bold, and thank you for taking the time to write those excellent directions.  I actually read them from start to finish, and my Yama isn't even coming until .... it comes.  I so can't wait.  And I am so sure that I will know how to start....   Guess I should roast some of my new coffees today in anticipation....

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
After six months of daily use, I can say this:  No other coffee preparation showcases the individual characteristics and properties of a coffee as well as does a vacpot. 

Simply tells me you never perfected the french press.  <BIG wink goes here>

I prefer to use a Cory or a Corning glass filter, available on eBay.  Many of these were made in the 40's (Peter's era)

Haarrummmpphh!     You'll get yours B|Jokey-Jokeman!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
After six months of daily use, I can say this:  No other coffee preparation showcases the individual characteristics and properties of a coffee as well as does a vacpot. 

Simply tells me you never perfected the french press.  <BIG wink goes here>

I prefer to use a Cory or a Corning glass filter, available on eBay.  Many of these were made in the 40's (Peter's era)

Haarrummmpphh!     You'll get yours B|Jokey-Jokeman!

After seeing the rust bucket you serve press coffee in, I decided that it was necessary to find another method of brewing a good cup.

RE:  Your era -- I inserted that line to see if you read it, knowing the result that would come.   Chomp, like a bass in the weeds.  Gulp.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:50:06 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
Happy that I can accommodate you, and glad that I did not disappoint.  Remember to respect your elders.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
2)  Boiling water before hand.  Some are in a rush and will boil the water in a water kettle and then pour it into the lower pot. This speeds up the entire process.  To me, this step merely intrudes into a very tactile, Zen-like process that I have no desire to complicate.  I have the rest of my life to make a pot of coffee and am seeking ways to slow down, not rush through it.  A Yama plays well with my philosophy.

A couple of In-My-Experience comments, or "my approach":

The instructions with the SY8 model call for the use of hot water.  "Hot fresh water" to be specific, which to me doesn't mean hot tap water but fresh cold tap water that has been heated.   So, using heated water won't mess with the Zenishness as it's part of the manufacturers documented procedure.  :-)  Me, I am not in a rush, just intolerant to delay so I preheat.  I have a few syphon (vacuum) pots in my arsenal.  Cona's, Hario's, old Yama's, a Kono, Cory's, Silexes, Bodum's etc and not once have I read in any of the instructions included with some of these to use hot water, except for this new Yama SY8.

Cleaning.  I find a couple of ounces of plain ol' white vinegar can really get the lower globe clean with minimal effort.  I find the top easier to clean after it has had a chance to air or dry out a bit so I leave that to do right before I make the next pot.  The spent grounds come out easier when drier, with a swirl or two of the stirrer, the grounds can pratically pour out of the upper globe into the trash.

Bloom.  If you like stronger then the standard water to coffee ratio, and you do happen to preheat the water beforehand, and you are making a full pot, and you are, assumingly, using fresh roasted coffee,  I find stirring to be a must if the water starts to rise too fast, or the bloom will rise up and over the edges of the top globe for real nice mess.  BTDT.  I followed their instructions and they have you put all the coffee in the "infusion chamber" prior to mating the two together.  So, I have a situation where hot water is rising into the full amount of coffee I intend to brew with, creating this huge bloom, if I don't stir as the water rises, I will have coffee bloom over the top.  Two ways I can help prevent this, lessen the amount of heat so the trip north is not as fast, or, make sure not to preheat the water to the boiling point.

I never had a stall using a Cory or Cona glass filter rod.  It has been said that a coarser grind produces more fines.  It has been also said that fines cause stalls, as if using a sub-par grinder.  I use a Mazzer and I grind fine.  I use Tom of SMs guidelines with regards to grinding.  Essentially, grind finer and finer until you stall your brewer, then back off a bit.   However, if I go too fine, I don't stall the brewer but have a bitterness sensation in the cup, that's when I back off.

Cotton filter.  I don't use them often.  Rarely in fact.  I have read where it is best to store your current one in water in the fridge, something about keeping the taste neutral, I can't say.  I can say that in the past when I was using a re-usable hemp #4 cone filter that if it was hung to dry in the kitchen, the next pot of coffee had a taste of the smell of the kitchen.  I started storing it in water in the fridge and that issue went away.

Brew time.  The instructions call for 60 seconds.  I find that to be about right for my tastes, however, I don't time, I go by sight, how the "foam" looks on top.  An indicator I use is when I no longer see large bubbles in the foam it's time to remove it from the heat.  I don't just heat the off but also move it to a cooled burner.  I stir a bit after all the water has risen north, as to me it does not look like all the grounds are getting a thorough saturation on their own.  During this stirring is when I view the bubbles in the foam.
Out of all the ways I have to prepare coffee, this is the one method I have used daily since I received it from Bold.  The SY8 is a perfect size for two large mugs of joe for the wife and I.

Thanks for distro on this Mr. Java.  One helluva coffee maker!

Rich

BoldJava

« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »

The instructions with the SY8 model call for the use of hot water. 

Thanks Rich, I didn't recall reading that.  Any of my bosses over my 40-year working span will tell you I have problems with authority.

Cleaning.  I find a couple of ounces of plain ol' white vinegar can really get the lower globe clean with minimal effort.  I find the top easier to clean after it has had a chance to air or dry out a bit so I leave that to do right before I make the next pot.

Yes, it comes out much easier when air-dried and I will add that to the review.  Vinegar?  No residual taste, I assume. I use a coconut based dish soap that leaves minimal residue but really go after it with hot, hot rinses.

Bloom.  If you like stronger then the standard water to coffee ratio, and you do happen to preheat the water beforehand, and you are making a full pot, and you are, assumingly, using fresh roasted coffee,  I find stirring to be a must if the water starts to rise too fast, or the bloom will rise up and over the edges of the top globe for real nice mess.  BTDT.  I followed their instructions and they have you put all the coffee in the "infusion chamber" prior to mating the two together.

Interesting.  Never had a spill over from bloom despite using 3-day rested fresh roast.  Another reason to not trust authority, right?  <grin>

Brew time.  The instructions call for 60 seconds. 

What's the bumper sticker?  "Question Authority."

Out of all the ways I have to prepare coffee, this is the one method I have used daily since I received it from Bold...Thanks for distro on this Mr. Java.  One helluva coffee maker!

Rich

You are quite welcome.  I was going to let the whole distro thing go away but it is a good way to reach out to less active members and at the same time, keep Coffee Kids in front of all of us. 

Remember our recently voted tagline for 2009 <joke>:

"Buy a Yama for your mother-in-law from B|Java in 2009 and show her peace is what it is all about."

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:51:13 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
Snagged this Dutch Vaculator filter for vacpots off eBay this afternoon.  Last week, a new in the box one went for ~$47.00.  Second pic, instruction sheet, is courtesy of BAHarris, who has the greatest collection of old vacpots on the web:

http://baharris.org/coffee/

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:35:57 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »
Grabbed this off eBay last week and today's mail brought this unused, "new" Fast-Flo Cory porcelain filter to the mix. I think the cotton filter is goes over the foot area, rather than over the top.  Now where is Gary?

This design was patented in 1934, limited run, so I actually have a coffee toy older than the press pot Peter purports to purposely pour profusely phrom (he won't bite twice in a row).

http://baharris.org/coffee/History.htm

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:15:43 PM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
Bold|Yama

You are becoming quite the collector of Yama/Cory|Art... very cool.  I assume you actually try each one of these filters to see how they perform.  It would be cool to taste the same coffee, the same day with only different filters....

Just thinking out loud...

garybt3

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2009, 05:23:18 PM »
Grabbed this off eBay last week and today's mail brought this unused, "new" Fast-Flo Cory porcelain filter to the mix. I think the cotton filter is goes over the foot area, rather than over the top.  Now where is Gary?

This design was patented in 1934, limited run, so I actually have a coffee toy older than the press pot Peter purports to purposely pour profusely phrom (he won't bite twice in a row).

http://baharris.org/coffee/History.htm

B|Java

Watching the playoffs, of course  :D

Dave, that's something that I've never seen before. :o

How does it lock-in to the upper globe?

Are there any more pieces?

Carolina is off to a fast start...

BoldJava

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Bold|Yama

You are becoming quite the collector of Yama/Cory|Art... very cool.  I assume you actually try each one of these filters to see how they perform.  It would be cool to taste the same coffee, the same day with only different filters....

Just thinking out loud...

I try all the filters I buy before shipping on to members here, making sure they work.  The two most recent ones above have yet to have their feet wet and trust me, they won't be resold <WAGr>.  They are captive.

I am very alert when first using a new design as they aren't made for the Yama and I don't want an implosion when I am not standing over them.  It is fascinating to see all the variations that really exist out there on the Corys.  I bet I have seen 20 different minor changes.

Comparison in the cup?  I know my palate isn't that discerning, though Jeff's/Peter's might be.  I think one might notice the greater difference between the cloth vs the glass.  It will be interesting to see how the Dutch and the Fast-Flo work.

I am working at rehabbing some glass rods with auto-body workers' emery paper but I think it is a lost cause.  Some of my early purchases were good lessons learned.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:32:19 PM by BoldJava »