Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73509 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
Comparison in the cup?  I know my palate isn't that discerning, though Jeff's/Peter's might be.  
B|Java

You fell for this old ruse, my friend;
Something tells me, if you make a cheat-sheet with a bunch of descriptive wording, and state your opinion with assured boldness everyone will assume you are an old hand.   Cool

And something I learned from you;
Just drop a couple of "heavens" on them, and like Milo says use "nice" every few sentences...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »

Dave, that's something that I've never seen before. :o

How does it lock-in to the upper globe?

Are there any more pieces...

Gary, it is a chunk of porcelain that rests in the upper globe.  It weighs 202 grams (over 7 ounces) so gravity is its friend.  It doesn't lock into anything but rests there.

All the pieces you see are it.  I will check with Brian Harris -- thought I would start with you.  Guy over on CG indicates that it would work in the Yama, just as it would in the Cory (pictured in the link).  I believe the cloth is large enough that it will cover the feet whether I come from the top or from the bottom.  Need to figure out which way makes sense.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:39:06 PM by BoldJava »

garybt3

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
I was reading the info at BHarris website, during the commercial break.

I could not figure out how to blow up the teeny tiny picture of it, either!

Gravity...makes sense, I'd try a trial run with just water, for a couple of tries.

Being an early design, it probably has a lot of limitations.

Did you get the original box with it?

Just Wondering..

Cards put up 14 points in less than 1 minute..

kuban111

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
Hola all,

Look's cool  :o what a great catch senor Java,

I came across some very cool vac pot last weekend while in the Poconos PA.

This one here had a porcelain filter rod.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3185888077_e81f370e7b_b.jpg

I didn't get the vac pot but I did managed to find a knee box hand grinder for $8.00. ;D

PS: Go Warner.......27-7 Arizona

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
Hola all,

Look's cool  :o what a great catch senor Java,

I came across some very cool vac pot last weekend while in the Poconos PA.

This one here had a porcelain filter rod.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3185888077_e81f370e7b_b.jpg

I didn't get the vac pot but I did managed to find a knee box hand grinder for $8.00. ;D

PS: Go Warner.......27-7 Arizona

That is a kent filter (or copy of a kent)  I have one of those and it do not fit the cory that I have, and the gasket between upper and lower globes makes the coffee taste nasty...

SusanJoM

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Just ran the 5-cup Yama through her first test run.
I used some old beans just to see how she actually works, and ....gee the stuff still tastes good.
Imagine how it will taste when I put in some freshly roasted and rested.

But, here's my first question:  the brewed coffee came down at just about 2 minutes, but before I took it off the heat.  I am guessing that this means I had reduced the heat a bit too much?  I'm working with a gas stove, and I had moved the whole pot to a smaller back burner when it was steeping;  I'm guessing it would have stayed up in the top longer if the heat had stayed a bit higher?  .... as in until I signalled it to come down by removing it from the heat?

Now I just have to find a method of keeping the rest of the potful hot enough until I'm ready to drink it.

Susan

jspain

« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
Susan,

You're right on! You reduced the heat too much at the end. Keep doing it and find the sweet temps... Getting ready temp, waters heading north so starting turning her down to medium, and once brewing keep it high enough to keep the brew north but not boiling... Have fun! It's the best! Jim  ;D

SusanJoM

« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »
Thanks, Jim.

I took note of an earlier/elsewhere suggestion by BoldJava to experiment using just water, and found that leaving the temp steady through the whole process kept the water in the top.  So....next time around I'm going to use coffee again....but not until I find a small tidy thermos.  Coffee for (this) one person is still a challenge.

Susan

jspain

« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »
Susan,

B/J is the best. He's got great knowledge and a wonderful individual! He can answer most all questions. I have a table top and an 8 cup stove top. The stove top gets used every day and sometimes several times a day. I have found it to be the best way to brew my greens. I like my espresso machine, but the vac pot is my consistent great cup day after day. Have fun, Jim  ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
Thanks, Jim.

I took note of an earlier/elsewhere suggestion by BoldJava to experiment using just water, and found that leaving the temp steady through the whole process kept the water in the top.  So....next time around I'm going to use coffee again....but not until I find a small tidy thermos.  Coffee for (this) one person is still a challenge.

Susan

We like our Zojirushi thermos, when we need to keep it warm off the stove.  I boil water and let it steep in the thermos before pouring coffee into it.  Makes the difference.

Also like newegg.com for ease of order, quick shipping:

Used at the house:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896128033

The Czarina takes this one to the office:
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SVFAE50-16-Ounce-Vacuum-Bottle/dp/B0000CEUPX

Patience. If you get your system down-pat in one day, you are doing a ton better than I did.  I think I putzed for a week before I figured out a good routine. 

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:30:44 PM by BoldJava »

SusanJoM

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

We like our Zojirushi thermos, when we need to keep it warm off the stove.  I boil water and let it steep in the thermos before pouring coffee into it.  Makes the difference.

Also like newegg.com for ease of order, quick shipping:

Used at the house:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896128033

The Czarina takes this one to the office:
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SVFAE50-16-Ounce-Vacuum-Bottle/dp/B0000CEUPX

Patience. If you get your system down-pat in one day, you are doing a ton better than I did.  I think I putzed for a week before I figured out a good routine. 

B|Java
[/quote]

EGGSackly what I need.
I had gotten stuck on SM's price of $28.00 plus shipping for a slightly different model, and so I spent waaaay too long cruising local stores (including the restaurant supply house).  But....NewEgg, here I come...

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2009, 04:50:06 AM »
http://xrl.us/PristineDutchVacFilter (Link to cgi.ebay.com)

Since there are no bids in, I felt I could call this little gem to your attention.  The Dutch Vaculator was an early filter and I believe Cory bought them out.  Need to read up on it. 

It is made from porcelain.  I grabbed one a couple of weeks ago after Craig on CG pointed it out that it works in the Yamas.  I haven't run it thru the Yama yet. This is a collector's item so if you have an itch here, best scratch it.  Few of them out there as Cory took the filter market by storm. It looks unused.

I snagged a '38 Silex vacuum pot (NB:  no intentional correlation with Herr Schmidt's birth year, though close) with ivory colored handles off Canada eBay that was listed incorrectly as a percolator.  I will post some pics once I have it cleaned up and blessed it with some deserved micro-lot Bolivian. 

Heavens, life is good.

B|FilterAddict
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:29:58 AM by BoldJava »

garybt3

« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2009, 07:23:26 AM »
I knew it was only a matter of time before the urge to start collecting antique rare vac-pots was going to catch up with you, Dave  ;D

I bring them home, clean them up ( Cafiza is my friend) and test them out, before putting them up for display. I like using the older vacpots...but I would feel really guilty if I managed to break one.

That's why I use the newer Yama's, mostly. I can get a replacement part in a week or so (yes...it's happened a couple of times)

The original documentation ( instructions, boxes etc are very rare... and fetch unbelievable prices in antique shops in this area in Kansas)

Gary

BoldJava

« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
I reserved http://vacpots.com this morning.  I would like to use the next year to build it out, ever so slowly, a site on vacpots.

For those of you who are vacpot geeks, what would appeal to you in a site.  I know my own interests but am curious what you might find worth reading/researching/have as a quick reference.

Cory had their headquarters down in Chicago.  I am going to talk with a research librarian here about library exchange processes and then spend a day at the main Chicago library seeing what is 'bound' about the history of Cory's operation.

Time to move my html skills beyond Frontpage.   CSS anyone?

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
Score. An unused Silex porcelain from the late 30's.

B|FiltersRUs