Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73507 times)

Tex

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
Like vac pots? Here are six of the dozen or so I have. Nothing like has, but I specialize in vintage Silex vac pots only.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Vintage Silex, huh?  I grabbed one off of eBay a few months ago, and have sort of moth-balled it, as the gasket seems a bit hard after 60-some years.  Do you know where I could find a new gasket?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2009, 02:53:30 AM »
Vintage Silex, huh?  I grabbed one off of eBay a few months ago, and have sort of moth-balled it, as the gasket seems a bit hard after 60-some years.  Do you know where I could find a new gasket?

If it is a narrow neck, you can buy one here:  http://www.cb-molding.com/store/AntiqueCoffeeGasket.cfm

There are no large neck gasket manufacturers that I have been able to locate.  I could look at the dimensions of an 8-cupper if you don't have one and provide them so you could determine if it would fit the Silex.  You could buy the upper globe to the Yama and pull it off the globe. eBay has just the Cory tops all the time for around $10.  New Yama top here:

http://www.northwestglass.com/coffee-syphon-replacement-bottom-p-230.html

I have read that boiling in soapy water helps, or soaking in vinegar might help in softening it.  Not sure I would want to try the vinegar from a residual perspective.  Some suggest a silicone bead. Finally, you might try soaking it in glycerin:

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p2007_Vegetable_Glycerine_Now_Foods.html

I have never tried any of these but I might be right there with you when the vintage Silex arrives.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:19:23 AM by BoldJava »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
B|J et. al: I'm loving the Yama. I drink so little coffee at home (but what I drink at work, at church, and elsewhere is generally my own beans), but when I do, of late it's been in the vac*. I'm still dialing in my brewing variables; accustomed to the Aeropress's insanely easy control of variables, I'm finding the Yama to be a bit more of a sports car -- tighter steering calling for more care in nailing the grind and the timing of stirring, etc.

Too fun.

* Months ago, it was all about espresso at home. But this winter I've been doing few roasts, and counting on frozen assets. I've focused on light roasts, so the Vac pot has replaced the espresso for the most part. Some darker roasts at work just get done in the Aero or, by golly, occasionally with a fine grind in the company Bunn.

BoldJava

« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2009, 04:18:34 AM »
B|J et. al: I'm loving the Yama. . .  I'm still dialing in my brewing variables; accustomed to the Aeropress's insanely easy control of variables, I'm finding the Yama to be a bit more of a sports car -- tighter steering calling for more care in nailing the grind and the timing of stirring, etc.

I absolutely love the analogy.  Sports car it is.  I was waiting for you to come over to the vacpot side and away from that A'error-Plastic contraption <grins>. 

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:28:57 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »
There is a place for the truck and a place for the sports car...

I can't imagine trying to take my vacpot on a trip to Chile....  but I do love the vacpot on the weekends, out on the open road.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
I am trying to find some of those bamboo stirring paddles that they are using in the video below. Watch the video and at about :48 seconds in, you will see the guy use one of the paddles to stir the vac pot. I already have a rice paddle which looks just like this. I want some of the more narrow paddles as seen in the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRd7H33PD6Y&feature=related[/youtube]

I have found them for sale at espressoparts.com for $3.86 plus 6.00 shipping. @10.00 for a bamboo paddle seems kinds steep to me, especially since my rice paddle came in a set of 4 bamboo kitchen utensils, all of them for $5.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:50:53 PM by headchange4u »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »
I am trying to find some of those bamboo stirring paddles that they are using in the video below. Watch the video and at about :48 seconds in, you will see the guy use one of the paddles to stir the vac pot. I already have a rice paddle which looks just like this. I want some of the more narrow paddles as seen in the video:

I have found them for sale at espressoparts.com for $3.86 plus 6.00 shipping. @10.00 for a bamboo paddle seems kinds steep to me, especially since my rice paddle came in a set of 4 bamboo kitchen utensils, all of them for $5.

That is the only source I know... I have the same or at least very similar spoon you already have and it works out very well for my Cory but the Hario has that tall thin upper chamber.... don't know what to say..

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
What's so special about bamboo?

Get yourself a stick of maple and your pocketknife and set to whittlin'.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »
Or do what I do - stop by your local paint store & pick up a half-dozen wooden paint stirrers.

K.I.S.S.

BoldJava

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
http://www.northwestglass.com/bamboo-vacuum-syphon-stir-stick-p-359.html

Bamboo sticks.  They impart the essence of the East <grins> without the syrup of the maple that  my fellow Lake Cheddar resident suggests.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:15:18 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:54 AM »
What's so special about bamboo?

Get yourself a stick of maple and your pocketknife and set to whittlin'.

I actually reshaped my rice paddle with a pocket knife and some 80 grit sandpaper to make it narrower.:)

Thanks for the link B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »
Score.

For you fellow vacpot fiends, I nabbed a new in the box, Polan Fireglas (correct spelling), off eBay last week.  Polan's were made in the '40's in Huntington, WVA.  I love (double underline) the filter.  Both the coffee pot and the filter come in unblemished boxes.  The original price of the unit is handwritten on the top of the box, $3.95.

B|Java

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:56:19 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »
OK.  I surrender.  You win the 'most toys' title.    :-[
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
Score.

For you fellow vacpot fiends, I nabbed a new in the box, Polan Fireglas (correct spelling), off eBay last week.  Polan's were made in the '40's in Huntington, WVA.  I love (double underline) the filter.  Both the coffee pot and the filter come in unblemished boxes.  The original price of the unit is handwritten on the top of the box, $3.49.

B|Java

Looks like we're going to have to do a group buy for few hundred large-mouth vac pot gaskets. I'm in for five @ $13 ea - anyone else?