Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73517 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
OK.  I surrender.  You win the 'most toys' title.    :-[

I have heard that before.  Wave the white flag publicly on city hall steps and I will believe it.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »

Looks like we're going to have to do a group buy for few hundred large-mouth vac pot gaskets. I'm in for five @ $13 ea - anyone else?

Tex,

One of the guys at the Yahoo Vacuumpot Collectors group said he has the linked gaskets.  He feels that they are too pliable for the weight involved.  Another guy who is a retired engineer that worked with polymers said that they probably had leftover goop (my term, not his) and probably isn't constituted correctly for the task at hand.  Easily remanufactured if we can generate 387 more needs.

B|Java

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
Vintage Silex, huh?  I grabbed one off of eBay a few months ago, and have sort of moth-balled it, as the gasket seems a bit hard after 60-some years.  Do you know where I could find a new gasket?

If it is a narrow neck, you can buy one here:  http://www.cb-molding.com/store/AntiqueCoffeeGasket.cfm

There are no large neck gasket manufacturers that I have been able to locate.  I could look at the dimensions of an 8-cupper if you don't have one and provide them so you could determine if it would fit the Silex.  You could buy the upper globe to the Yama and pull it off the globe. eBay has just the Cory tops all the time for around $10.  New Yama top here:

http://www.northwestglass.com/coffee-syphon-replacement-bottom-p-230.html

I have read that boiling in soapy water helps, or soaking in vinegar might help in softening it.  Not sure I would want to try the vinegar from a residual perspective.  Some suggest a silicone bead. Finally, you might try soaking it in glycerin:

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p2007_Vegetable_Glycerine_Now_Foods.html

I have never tried any of these but I might be right there with you when the vintage Silex arrives.

B|Java
It is wide-mouth.  I have thought of trying to fasten it to the top using silicon caulk, but fear the effects on flavor/health.  I will first try boiling in soapy water. 
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
Stunning photos of the Cona, from a down-under vacpotman.

Scroll down for the full portfolio (click on any one of them):
http://abstractgourmet.com/2009/02/vacuum-brewing-with-the-cona/

Pyment is Cona-bound.  I am handicapping the odds, by months, for the remainder of 2009.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:53:34 AM by BoldJava »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:39 PM »
Those cona vac pots are class act... I like how they have a place in the stand for the top part to rest when the coffee is done brewing...

Pyment

« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
The burner sold at SM's is sold elsewhere as a cigar lighter. SM's price is good., but I did find

http://tinyurl.com/bxhftk

http://tinyurl.com/c8dw2p

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
Well I just had my first causality in my vacuum pot collection. The bottom portion of my Yama 5 cupper got busted while sitting in the sink to be washed.  :( It was bound to happen sooner or later. Being my most frequently used vac pot, it will be missed.

Anybody broke the top part of their Yama 5 cup and want to sell me the bottom portion? ;D ;)

If not they have it at Espressoparts.com for $18.

B|Java,

Can your group buy source get replacement parts?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:29:10 PM by headchange4u »

BoldJava

« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »
B|Java,

Can your group buy source get replacement parts?

While parts are available to me if I order a volume threshold, I don't want to become a retail shop.  The Czarina is still talking to me though 4 unsold units are in the 3rd bdroom, awaiting adoption papers. 

I enjoy her conversation.  Sorry.

B|Java
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:36:07 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
I found the Yama 5 cup replacement bottom at North West Glass for $11.00 plus shipping. Best price I found on it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:58:02 PM by headchange4u »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »
I'm starting to get frustrated with my vac pot. I replaced the bottom pot on my 5 cup stove top model not long ago and now I have broken the top, funnel portion twice. The first time was a small crack at the bottom of the stem that was repaired with epoxy and and now the stem snapped off. I try to be really gentle with the brewer. I wash it as soon as I'm finish brewing and it goes right back into the original box and is stored in a safe corner of the cabinets, but it seems even the slightest bump will damage the vac pot.

I'm thinking about getting one of the vintage stainless steel Cory vac pots from Ebay. Has anyone used the stainless steel pot? Is the taste differ much from a glass brewer?

Tex

« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »
I'm starting to get frustrated with my vac pot. I replaced the bottom pot on my 5 cup stove top model not long ago and now I have broken the top, funnel portion twice. The first time was a small crack at the bottom of the stem that was repaired with epoxy and and now the stem snapped off. I try to be really gentle with the brewer. I wash it as soon as I'm finish brewing and it goes right back into the original box and is stored in a safe corner of the cabinets, but it seems even the slightest bump will damage the vac pot.

I'm thinking about getting one of the vintage stainless steel Cory vac pots from Ebay. Has anyone used the stainless steel pot? Is the taste differ much from a glass brewer?

I've got a s/s Hotpoint vac pot. I don't like it because you can't see what's happening in the bowls. But I can't tell the difference as far as taste goes.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »
I don't like it because you can't see what's happening in the bowls.

I know what you mean. Watching the brewing process is half the fun....

Tex

« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2009, 12:40:23 PM »
I don't like it because you can't see what's happening in the bowls.

I know what you mean. Watching the brewing process is half the fun....

I'm surprised I don't break my Yama - anyone who's seen my hands shaking would figure I'd go through two or three a week. But so far I've yet to break any of my vac pots & I've been using them for 30 years or so.

SusanJoM

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Does anyone here know if anyone makes a stove-top vac pot with a smaller capacity than the Yama 5-cup?

I'd love to have a smaller capacity, but I have no interest at all in having to deal with that burner gizmo. 

Susan

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
Does anyone here know if anyone makes a stove-top vac pot with a smaller capacity than the Yama 5-cup?

I'd love to have a smaller capacity, but I have no interest at all in having to deal with that burner gizmo. 

Susan

I think they have a three cup??