Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73540 times)

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
I have never had a mess.

Different physical characteristics between a Yama and Cona, so we are talking apples and oranges about mess versus no mess using the wait-until-the-water-is-all-at-the-top method on a different brands of vac pots.

BoldJava

« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »
Now here's a tiny vacpot for all you partial pot makers - - a Hario mini-phon that makes 4 ounces.  Snagged off Twitter. Los Angeles company carries them, hefty price tag at nearly $100.  

Who will be the 1st GCBC to pull the trigger?  Where are those partial-pot-makers? http://www.merae.com/product.aspx?pid=448

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:07:40 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #242 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »
Up next: The Hario thimble brewer. Brews 1/4 oz of coffee. Costs $650.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #243 on: July 08, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »
Yeah ... the world of big effort ... little return ... and huge price.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Now here's a tiny vacpot for all you partial pot makers - - a Hario mini-phon that makes 4 ounces.  Snagged off Twitter. Los Angeles company carries them, hefty price tag at nearly $100.  

Who will be the 1st GCBC to pull the trigger?  Where are those partial-pot-makers? http://www.merae.com/product.aspx?pid=448

B|Java

It just doesn't have that "mad scientist" appeal.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »
the website says 4 oz??? but over in the Hario tea area they have a 10 oz siphon brewer??? wonder if this is a miss print... 4 oz seems real small..

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
Up next: The Hario thimble brewer. Brews 1/4 oz of coffee. Costs $650.

Vac ristrettos?  They'll sell a million at that price >:D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
I ran across this brewer today on Ebay. Looks just like a Yama TT brewer (even the same model # I think) but it is labeled with the brand name of "OCAREE". The handle on the stand is of a different design than the Yama. Looks interesting. Anyone ever heard or or seen this brand before?

Edit:
While posting this message they increased the shipping from $17 to $28. :o

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:26:10 PM by headchange4u »

Tex

« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
I ran across ... today on Ebay. Looks just like a Yama TT brewer (even the same model # I think) but it is labeled with the brand name of "OCAREE". The handle on the stand is of a different design than the Yama. Looks interesting. Anyone ever heard or or seen this brand before?

Edit:
While posting this message they increased the shipping from $17 to $28. :o

Looks like a Hario: http://www.harioglass.com/english/products/taste/syphon.htm

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
If you get a Hario and a Yama, still in boxes, or not, lay them side by side, you'll swear they are made by the same people.  Even the boxes/packaging have similar markings/writings.

BoldJava

« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
One of the boards I keep an eye on is the Barista Exchange.  I am surprised that so many Yama and Hario users still fiddle with the cotton filters (guess that is why they sell for me on eBay).  Everyone wants to know how to get and keep the filters clean.

Mercy, go to the Cory glass rod and quit worrying about how to clean the cotton filter.

Done.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »
One of the boards I keep an eye on is the Barista Exchange.  I am surprised that so many Yama and Hario users still fiddle with the cotton filters (guess that is why they sell for me on eBay).  Everyone wants to know how to get and keep the filters clean.

Mercy, go to the Cory glass rod and quit worrying about how to clean the cotton filter.

Done.

B|Java

Too many clueless people, afraid of "The Big Stall."
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

Done.

B|Java

the elusive stall hat I have never had with a cory rod  (that's it now I will never get another brew out of my cory rods ~~sigh~~)

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »

I've gotten a few total stalls, but after taking B|J's "dunking" advise I never had one again. The stall definitely seems to be a result of too much stirring.

- -Barrett

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Well, I had a disastrous stall just now.  :o

Although nobody was injured—thank goodness—my new pot exploded to the far corners of the kitchen. If you ever should take the advice of a newbie vacpot user, do NOT, under any circumstance, ever ever EVER try to circumvent the stall with a cool towel wrap. :nono: Really bad idea! Now, where's my dunce cap? :BangHead:  The stall probably had to do with too much stirring, since the ground was the same as my previous two vacpot brews.

Happy to report, after 45 minutes of clean up, the cory made it through fine—along with the humans and pets.  :)

PM