Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73531 times)

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2009, 04:39:19 AM »
I followed Dave's instructions to a T and this has become my preferred method of brewing. I didn't have a rice paddle so I do what Peter does and use the end of the Yama spoon. I think that Dave is right in that it is VERY important to not stir. My grinder is probably a good example that you can use a lousy grinder and still have excellent results with a Cory and Yama. My grinder is a 15 year old Braun burr grinder. It is worn out and throws a LOT of fines. I am convinced that if I stirred I would have a mess. If you follow Dave's instructions you will have no problem. I will be replacing my grinder soon with a Roncillio and by the way Dave, from the football thread.....you are an OLD guy  ;D Cheers my friend.
Steve   

BoldJava

« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2009, 05:08:00 AM »
...and by the way Dave, from the football thread.....you are an OLD guy  ;D Cheers my friend.
Steve  

Steve, indeed I am and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Think of it in terms of all the mistakes I have learned from along the way <grins>.  It all comes together once you hit the Big 60, if you are willing to keep living and learning.

Cheers back, B|Java
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:13:05 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2009, 05:10:29 AM »
After adding ground coffee and pushing it down, it was really bubbling.  So, nervous again, I removed it from heat after only a minute.  Then the draw down started, very slow.  Too slow.  But not a complete stall, probably 3+ minutes before the final wash out.

I went one step coarser with the Krupps than what we used this afternoon.  Good cup none the less (Guat Peaberry).  Look forward to trying again in the AM!

Rob,

I would go back to that grind level we used, merely pull the pot from the heat at 1:45 and let it draft down on its own for 1:15.  Same steep time I use, merely pulling at the front end and catching it at the rear end.  Patience.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2009, 05:54:24 AM »
I wouldn't question anyone's findings, but it just makes me wonder about the stirring/pushing down idea...

With the Yama, there's always some water in the bottom and steam going north.  If the rod is gently bouncing, that means there's steam pushing past it, so how would those fines get stuck there when someone stirs?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »
I wouldn't question anyone's findings, but it just makes me wonder about the stirring/pushing down idea...

With the Yama, there's always some water in the bottom and steam going north.  If the rod is gently bouncing, that means there's steam pushing past it, so how would those fines get stuck there when someone stirs?

I am not sure vapor is going north once the vacuum is created.  Fines get dislodged from the 'mass' during stirring.  Rods don't bounce when the heat is turned down to 4/10 after coffee is pushed down.  Additionally, the vortex/downdraft created has a tendency to pull the silt down and it gets lodged under the bumpy surface of the rod.  My 5cent theory.

That from a guy who earned was given a C in physics.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:29:05 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Right behind you Dave, I turn 49 on Wednesday. The alternative to not growing older is worse :D

Offline RenoB

• Standard User
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Two more pots under my belt, both with VERY long draw down - 5+ min after removed from heat.  Creates a bitter brew. 

Only thing I observe that's different from what I read is that, while under heat I get some bubbling (not "dancing") in the top.  Can't turn it down further as it is on my smallest (gas) burner at its lowest setting.  Not sure what to try next.

Steve7

« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
mine bubbles, but quick draw down.

2nd brew was bitter, too. Bad aftertaste, like chewing on an astringent nut.

Out of 4 brews with my Sumatran, all have been different (2 on vacpot, one french press, one Technivorm).

None were too pleasant!
Maybe the roast?

BoldJava

« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »
Two more pots under my belt, both with VERY long draw down - 5+ min after removed from heat.  Creates a bitter brew. 

Only thing I observe that's different from what I read is that, while under heat I get some bubbling (not "dancing") in the top.  Can't turn it down further as it is on my smallest (gas) burner at its lowest setting.  Not sure what to try next.

Can't figure that out as we had it nailed yesterday.  Hmmm...

Start with the cloth filter and compare results. 

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »
mine bubbles, but quick draw down.

2nd brew was bitter, too. Bad aftertaste, like chewing on an astringent nut.

Out of 4 brews with my Sumatran, all have been different (2 on vacpot, one french press, one Technivorm).

None were too pleasant!
Maybe the roast?

Sounds like you didn't get through first crack.  How long from onset of first to pull from heat?

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Can't turn it down further as it is on my smallest (gas) burner at its lowest setting.  Not sure what to try next.

Try moving it off the burner partially, if you can do that without it falling over.

I feel dum for letting my logic stand in the way of others experience...  During the afternoons when the sun is coming in my west windows, when the sunlight hits a brewing vacpot, it's a glorious thing to watch the turbulence of the brew in the top globe, it really is.  See that dance, it makes it hard to believe stirring will have a different effect than pushing down.

That said, I'm still a pusher downer.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Steve7

« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2009, 01:51:38 PM »

Sounds like you didn't get through first crack.  How long from onset of first to pull from heat?

B|Java
[/quote]

I thought I went a bit far into 2nd. Still finding it hard to sense a break between 1st and 2nd. 1st seems to drag on and roll into 2nd.

Maybe I need a certain type of bean to help me? Or, start profiling to use temp as an indicator.

Offline Tommy

• Standard User
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
This is not a question or an answer but my testimonial:

I just got my first Vacpot, 5-cup Yama stovetop, last week. I used the cloth filter (what a pain) while waiting for my Cory filter. That allowed me to find suitably low temps for my electric range's burners.

Starting with filtered water from the hot tap on my water tower, I put the pot on the small burner (with the wire grate on it) set to seven on the temp controller. With the top bowl/funnel in the stand, I grind and add the coffee to the bowl and put it on the pot. When steam causes the steeping coffee to bubble I immediately turn the temp to a setting of three.

I was worried that my grind would be too fine and cause a stall but one complete turn off of the finest setting on my manual Zassenhaus grinder has not been a problem. I haven't felt compelled to stir or push down grounds during the process.

One minute thirty seconds up north I remove from the heat and a minute or so later I can enjoy one of the best cups of coffee ever . I did back off to 3/4 the amount of coffee I had been using for drip and press methods.

This is the only way I ever plan on brewing coffee again.     

Stubbie

« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »

I thought I went a bit far into 2nd. Still finding it hard to sense a break between 1st and 2nd. 1st seems to drag on and roll into 2nd.

Maybe I need a certain type of bean to help me? Or, start profiling to use temp as an indicator.

I remember you saying that the bean was taken about 20 seconds into 2nd - that's getting pretty close to Charbucks territory around these parts. :)  That being said, my first instinct is that your roast is progressing too quickly - creating the harshness you are experiencing.  If memory serves, you are using a HotTop?  I'm not familiar with those machines, but there are many on here that are...hopefully they can chime in and get this conundrum solved.

If you can control the heat manually, try cutting your heat in 1/2 at the onset of 1st crack.  The beans are exotherming at this point and adding heat by themselves, possibly driving you into an immediate 2nd crack.  I try for a 20 degree (F) rise every 60 seconds...about a degree every 3 ticks on the clock.

90-120 seconds from 1c to 2c is what I shoot for.

-Stubbie

Steve7

« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
Much appreciated.

Gotta nail it before I dare let any of that JBM near the gizmo.