Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73597 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #495 on: July 27, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
Silex Lox-In and Pyrex are great as well.  The Lox-In (shorter spring arrangement) works better in the 5-cup Yama and I use the longer one in the 8-cup Yama.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:58:50 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Here are some odds and ends for you:

Upper left, Silex Cermaic/Cloth arrangement, early '40s
Upper center, a Polan (WVA manufacturer).  I have a virgin Polan in the basement.
Upper right, a Dutch Filter Vaculator
Bottom, current Yama cloth/SS arrangement
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:40:37 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
On the bottom is a Cona, in comparison to a couple of Corys.  Others insist they have used the Cona in a Hario and Yama; I have not found it a workable filter for a Yama.

BoldJava

« Reply #498 on: August 20, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »

The longer ones (7"and 8") just arrived.  No trademark but I believe they are early Corning prototypes from the '30s.  Top to bottom:  8", 7", 6", and 5."

I posed the question to BA Harris, owner of the most comprehensive website on vacpots on the net:  http://baharris.org.  Who made these?

He has never seen the 7" and 8" rods I have as part of the collection.  He suggests that they are prototypes from a patent from RW Kell and others -- never made it into production. Image below, patent from 1933. I will add to his theory and suggest that Corning bought the patent and began their production runs.  Though Corning never made the 7" and 8" rods, when you hold theirs and the 7 and 8" ones side by side, the similarity is too striking to be otherwise.

B|Java

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:04:09 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2012, 04:12:32 AM »
I give up.  I have sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out what in the world this is?  Orphan is selling it for the Yama:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Yama-Siphon-Carafe-Stopper_p_4910.html

Tex

« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
I give up.  I have sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out what in the world this is?  Orphan is selling it for the Yama:

Top for the carafe.

BoldJava

« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2012, 06:09:33 AM »

Top for the carafe.

I just don't see it.  Dense this a.m. <Leave that alone, grins>.

This is what Orphan says.  I see no "complex problem..." 

"Silicone Stopper for Yama SY-8 Stovetop Vacuum Pot Bottom Carafe - fits nicely in, has a tube through the silicone ball which functions as the handle for easy removal & insertion into the neck of the carafe and prevents a vacuum seal forming which would suck the ball into the carafe!  An elegant solution to a surpringly complex problem!"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:11:16 AM by BoldJava »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17:05 AM »
Yup, just a fancy stopper for the bottom section to help retain heat. It allows the pressure to equalize as the coffee cools so it doesn't get sucked it.

BoldJava

« Reply #503 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:32 AM »
Yup, just a fancy stopper for the bottom section to help retain heat. It allows the pressure to equalize as the coffee cools so it doesn't get sucked it.

Now I see it.  I had it pictured in my mind much larger than it probably is.

Tex

« Reply #504 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:15 AM »
A fix for a problem that shouldn't exist. If someone knows enough about coffee to use a vac pot, they wouldn't leave it in a glass carafe, would they?

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
I am doing this WRONG
« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
I am suffering from vac pot envy. The first two pots I made in my Yama 8 cup a week ago were simply great - this must have been beginner's luck.

Since then, I have tried the vac pot five more times with disappointing results. The coffee has been very weak and under-extracted. I have been forced back to the Technivorm for decent coffee.

After much analysis and research, my conclusion is that the problem is the temperature of the water in the upper bowl - it is too low. I  insert the upper bowl when the bottom bowl temp measures anywhere from 195 degrees to 200 degrees. This temperature is based on comments starting on page 30 in this thread.

I wait until the water is all in the top chamber before I add the coffee and stir. So far I have not gotten the temp in the upper bowl above 195 degrees. I assume that is why my coffee is under-extracted. How can I get the temperature high enough without it being TOO high?!  :o
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #506 on: July 26, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
Wait till about 198 before putting upper bowl on.  Then remeasure temp and let top again come to 198.  Water will inch up in temp if not at 198. Should work fine.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
Wait till about 198 before putting upper bowl on.  Then remeasure temp and let top again come to 198.  Water will inch up in temp if not at 198. Should work fine.
I actually tried this approach today as my "final attempt" before posting. Maybe I was not patient enough. After about 3 minutes, the temp in the upper bowl was only 195, and did not want to increase.

jspain

Re: I am doing this WRONG
« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »
I am suffering from vac pot envy. The first two pots I made in my Yama 8 cup a week ago were simply great - this must have been beginner's luck.

Since then, I have tried the vac pot five more times with disappointing results. The coffee has been very weak and under-extracted. I have been forced back to the Technivorm for decent coffee.

After much analysis and research, my conclusion is that the problem is the temperature of the water in the upper bowl - it is too low. I  insert the upper bowl when the bottom bowl temp measures anywhere from 195 degrees to 200 degrees. This temperature is based on comments starting on page 30 in this thread.

I wait until the water is all in the top chamber before I add the coffee and stir. So far I have not gotten the temp in the upper bowl above 195 degrees. I assume that is why my coffee is under-extracted. How can I get the temperature high enough without it being TOO high?!  :o

The vac pot is my MAIN BREWING METHOD! How long are you letting the grounds soak before stirring and how long are you letting them seep after the stir??? I let mine sit for 30 seconds before stirring and then let them seep for 2 minutes.... great EVERY TIME!!!!! I agree with B/J. Get it to 198 degrees but don't add the grounds until the cory rod settles.....  ;)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
I actually had a stall the second time I used the Cory rod - and that was the last time I used it. For the moment, I have gone back to using the cloth filter.

I wasn't letting the grounds sit at all. I add the grounds, stir thoroughly, then set a timer for 2 minutes. If I can get the upper bowl temp to 200 degrees, I think everything would be great!