Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73598 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
I can't see that there would be a significant difference between 195 and 200, as far as the results go.

You're using the same water:coffee ratio as before?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2013, 04:54:59 AM »
I have increased the coffee slightly. This "recipe" uses the quantity of water measured based on markings on Yama bowl, instead of the correct ounces to grams conversion:

Yama   water   coffee
"cups"   grams   grams
   5      640         37
   6      820         44
   7      993         51
   8      1150      57
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
Rick, Jim posted some good tips.  Time steeped is critical.  Your coffee amount is very light for my tastes.  I use 68-70 grams of coffee for the 8-cup.  My summary (OK, long summary...) at CoffeeGeek details my approach to the unit and prep:  http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/yamavacpots/BoldJava/5238
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:18:41 AM by BoldJava »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2013, 05:35:59 AM »
Dave, I had read your excellent notes at CG. Those notes do not include steeping the grounds for 30 seconds, otherwise I would be doing that already  ;)

What I read about the quantity of coffee for the vac pot was quite variable - very much to individual taste. My preference is on the light side - I only use 38 grams for the "8 cup" measure in the Technivorm (32 ounces).

BoldJava

« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2013, 05:38:46 AM »
What I read about the quantity of coffee for the vac pot was quite variable - very much to individual taste. My preference is on the light side - I only use 38 grams for the "8 cup" measure in the Technivorm (32 ounces).

You get more mileage from your 5 lbs of Yemen than I do <grins>.  Tastes vary and make the world go round.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Rick, even though you like coffee on the lighter side, I'd still suggest bumping it up to see if you like it more, especially since your vac-pot is turning out a weak coffee.  My Yama 5-cup gets 44g at the full 5-cup level...  coffee goes in after water's been on top for a bit, grounds get pushed down, timer is set for 2min, pot is pulled off the burner when the timer's done, perfect coffee every time.  My other advice would be to figure out what caused the stalls, and revert back to the glass rod.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
I'll give it another shot this afternoon. This version of my "recipe" uses the correct ounces to grams conversion for the water:

Yama   water   coffee
"cups"   grams   grams
   5      709         44
   6      851         53
   7      993         61
   8      1135      70

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
Rick, Jim posted some good tips.  Time steeped is critical.  Your coffee amount is very light for my tastes.  I use 68-70 grams of coffee for the 8-cup.  My summary (OK, long summary...) at CoffeeGeek details my approach to the unit and prep:  http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/yamavacpots/BoldJava/5238

After re-reading your summary, I may have figured out the problem:

"Note:  If you have a successful partial-pot routine, please respond via the 'write' at the bottom -- few have succeeded with less than a full pot."

Our standard morning coffee is eight cups in the Technivorm, which is 32 ounces. I think my vac pot problems started when trying to do only 5 or 6 cups in my Yama 8 cup. I probably messed up when I bought the larger size.

BoldJava

« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
"Note:  If you have a successful partial-pot routine, please respond via the 'write' at the bottom -- few have succeeded with less than a full pot."

Our standard morning coffee is eight cups in the Technivorm, which is 32 ounces. I think my vac pot problems started when trying to do only 5 or 6 cups in my Yama 8 cup. I probably messed up when I bought the larger size.

I have always been less than successful with fewer than 8 cups in the larger unit.  I always use the 5-cup when we want 20-22 oz.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »

Same here, which is why I only use the Yama 5-cup when I have a guest or two to help drink the bean juice.  But wouldn't 32oz. be a good/safe volume for the Yama 8-cup?
I have always been less than successful with fewer than 8 cups in the larger unit.  I always use the 5-cup when we want 20-22 oz.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

Same here, which is why I only use the Yama 5-cup when I have a guest or two to help drink the bean juice.  But wouldn't 32oz. be a good/safe volume for the Yama 8-cup?
In the Yama, "8 cups" is 40 ounces. I will try "7 cups" this afternoon (35 ounces) to see if I get acceptable results. Even if the coffee is VERY good, we simply can't drink more than 30 ounces for afternoon coffee. I prefer to fall asleep by 11:00 PM.

BoldJava

« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »
...I prefer to fall asleep by 11:00 PM.

I can manage one cup after dinner.  Two?  I can still fall asleep without difficulty but I have less restful sleep and do wake up during the night.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #522 on: July 27, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
...I prefer to fall asleep by 11:00 PM.

I can manage one cup after dinner.  Two?  I can still fall asleep without difficulty but I have less restful sleep and do wake up during the night.

With my guilty conscience, I can only manage one latte, no later than 3pm.   ;)

BoldJava

« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
With my guilty conscience, I can only manage one latte, no later than 3pm.   ;)

Difference in theology <wide grin and wink for the bro'>.

B|Romans

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #524 on: July 27, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
I can rate today's vac pot a STRONG success!!  ::) We had some Java Estate Blawan from the Excellent Cup - great job, Peter!

I decided to err on the high side, and the prior numbers made the coffee too strong - next time I'll make it lighter (see below). I guess the key thing I learned is to not make less than 35 ounces in my Yama:

Yama   water   coffee
"cups"   grams   grams
   7.0      993         51
   7.5      1064      54
   8.0      1135      57
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:41:05 AM by rgrosz78 »