Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73589 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
I guess the key thing I learned is to not make less than 35 ounces in my Yama:

No doubt you noticed how far from the bottom of the lower unit the siphon tube from the top unit reaches.  In my 5-cup it's at least 3/8".  It's commonly thought that this gap was designed to never let the pot boil dry, but all this water remaining in the lower unit really weakens the coffee once the coffee up north goes south; you could say it makes the flavor 'go south' too.  No offense to you Southerners.   :)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I never seemed to have trouble making just 5 cups in the Yama 8.  I did measure the markings, 5, 6, 7, & 8 and found out that they are linearly spaced up the side of the base, but since the base is round and not straight the increments are not equal in volume.  I always just used the Yama scoop to measure the coffee and put in 8 scoops for 8 cups and it worked out.  I did eventually weigh the coffee, but more to track how much I was using and not for measuring.

I wouldn't recommend going below the lowest marking on the pot.

Chris, I am curious. Do my water measurements in this post match up with yours?

I did not use the Yama scoop, since I always weigh my coffee.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

jano

« Reply #527 on: July 31, 2013, 09:09:42 AM »
I've got a cafetino balance brewer (an original belgian), and after a few years of monkeying around with it every now and then, and lackluster results, finally decided to figure it out.  First step, collected some empirical data.  Now, I need a little help how to fine tune this, please?  :D  The primary goal is to make the coffee taste good, and secondary is to find a way to make it taste decent when left to be automatic as much as possible.

1. Brew temp is 206F - that's hotter than I usually brew my pourovers (195-203); this variable is out of my control.. any comments?
2. Its capacity is 1L; that's too much for me, so I'm doing 500ml instead.  This results in rather.. awful coffee, especially when using the 6/100 ratio.  I believe the issue is that not all the water makes it from the primary container to the brewing side, and is probably worsened at half capacity?  Should I up dose to work with this?
3. I've found that if I keep the flame going, nearly all the water makes it to the brew cup (and it appears to be 20% more in volume vs. automatic! going to try to measure by weight next time) - now, I can see where this would be "a bad idea" with glass brewers, but mine is stainless steel.. still bad?  I'm thinking steel pan on gas stove here.  Only issue I can see would be possible scalding on drawback

Timewise, here's what I've learned, when I let it run its own course (remember, this is an automatic balance brewer)
 -- it takes about 30 seconds when left alone for 500ml to make it from one chamber to the brew cup
 -- it takes about 60-75 seconds for nearly all the water to make it from the heating chamber to the brew cup (based on sound, if I keep the flame active and not auto-doused)
 -- once the flame douses, there's a 5s-ish pause
 -- drawback takes anywhere from 30-75s, depending on bean, using the same grind; having testing 5 beans, 3 C roasts and 2 FC roasts, the C roasts have the 30s drawback, while the 2 FC roasts were 60s and 75s respectively; the FC beans would make a "pop" sound just before drawback, I'm thinking stronger vacuum from more fines in clogging the filter...

The grind used for tests was "vacpot" setting, which is one step before the finest "espresso" setting.  It looks like a very fine drip grind.

Given the higher temp, I don't think this thing will do well with naturals, and should be relegated to only very light roasts to mitigate some of the brightness :o  ?  Ah, the gesha-only brewer ;D

I'll try the espresso grind setting next time, but, it might clog the metal filter in this thing (brass + palladium coating I think). 

Comments, suggestions, chastisings?

JW

« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »
Jano,
As you know I don't have a cafetino, but I would coarsen up the grind, and try it at full capacity.

Awful coffee in what way? Bitter/overextracted, watery/underextracted (which I doubt due to the fine grind), etc.

JW

jano

« Reply #529 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
Okay, I'll try a full brew with a coarser grind.

Not sure how to diagnose/describe the coffee this morning.  It was neither bitter nor sour, not watery, not sweet, just.. bland, no flavor.  Monochromatic.  Even when it cooled.  The same beans all tasted awesome brewed other methods.

Hopefully tomorrow's brew will allow me to hone in on some flavor to diagnose this. 

jano

« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:32 AM »
Well that was easy, full capacity led to great results.  I hate physics sometimes, JW's recommendations fixed the brew temp issue:
 - starting brew temp was 198F, then went up to 203F by the time it was full
 - 1m, 40s ish for the water to move into the brewing cup
 - 20s or so of no movement
 - ~2m drawback (1'53"); the first minute was 3/4 of the fluid, last minute it decided to take its time
 - finish temp was 203F

Boy I'm really enjoying this right now (Cammie's roast of Honduras la Gloria), that is tasty.  Looks like I need to get myself a small vacpot now, this is good but too much brew!   2 cup versions look ideal.

BoldJava

« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Yama 5 cup yields 22 of brewed coffee.  Grab one.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #532 on: August 07, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
I wasn't letting the grounds sit at all. I add the grounds, stir thoroughly, then set a timer for 2 minutes. If I can get the upper bowl temp to 200 degrees, I think everything would be great!
I can't see that there would be a significant difference between 195 and 200, as far as the results go.
No surprise, but Peter is 100% correct. After having a few "boring" vac pots, the culprit was too much heat. I now add the top bowl when the water is at 195 (instead of 198). The last two vac pots were easily of the best so far.

I add the grounds after half of the water has moved up top. Then they sit for 30 seconds before stirring. I let them steep for 1 1/2 minutes more. Then turn off the heat, and give a final stir, and remove from the stove to watch.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:33:39 AM by rgrosz78 »

BoldJava

« Reply #533 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
Keep doing what works for you...Congrats and welcome to the VP club.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #534 on: October 11, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
I simply love the vac pot - make one EVERY day. I am purchasing the Yama 5 cup, so I can make a vac pot when making coffee for only me. Also for when I want to try two different coffees in the morning.

Do I need a different glass rod, or does the same size work for the Yama 8 cup and 5 cup models?

BoldJava

« Reply #535 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
If your rod works in the 8 cup, it fits the 5 cup if the top hasn't been reengineered.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #536 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »
I simply love the vac pot - make one EVERY day. I am purchasing the Yama 5 cup, so I can make a vac pot when making coffee for only me. Also for when I want to try two different coffees in the morning.

Do I need a different glass rod, or does the same size work for the Yama 8 cup and 5 cup models?

You may find that the Yama 5 doesn't do as well for single cups, unless that single cup is pretty big.  I found that the amount of water remaining the the bottom (probably designed for safety, so it doesn't boil dry) during the brewing, dilutes the brew when the coffee goes from the upper globe back to the bottom.  I generally make ~20oz. w/ mine, but don't know where the lower limit is before the dilution factor takes over.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
You may find that the Yama 5 doesn't do as well for single cups, unless that single cup is pretty big.  I found that the amount of water remaining the the bottom (probably designed for safety, so it doesn't boil dry) during the brewing, dilutes the brew when the coffee goes from the upper globe back to the bottom.  I generally make ~20oz. w/ mine, but don't know where the lower limit is before the dilution factor takes over.
I would normally make two 10 ounce cups for my morning coffee. It sounds like the Yama 5 should work nicely.

BoldJava

« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »
I don't find a dilution issue at all with my 5-cup.  Think about an Americano.  One shot and 4-6 ounces of 200* water.  Same principle at play just so long as you count total water: grams of coffee ratio.

B|Java

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #539 on: November 08, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
Dipping my toes in the vacpot pool, took advantage of the Bodum and JC Penney's divorce resulting
in 70% reduction of retail pricing.  I just purchased the newest iterration of the Bodum Santos, renamed the
Bodum Pebo.  At least that's what I have been able to find.  I am interested in anyone's reviews of the Santos/Pebo,
and if you have switched out the plastic filter for a glass rod, and if yes, what make and or model of glass rod

My arsenal of brewing equipment continues to grow.  I was so stoked about the quality of the cup from a travelling roadshow
last Christmas that BJava did for a Yama 5 cup, that this has been on the short list of next purchases.  Getting it at a reduced
price just turned out to be icing on the cake.