Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73511 times)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #555 on: December 04, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
Not sure that "control" applies here - vac pots are less technical and more touchy feely ...

I followed B|Java's advice - turn down the heat after adding the top bowl. I start with the heat at about 60%, add the top bowl when water in the lower bowl hits 195. Then I reduce the flame to about 30%, just enough to keep things moving.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

jano

« Reply #556 on: December 04, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
Stirring and breaking the crust helps keep temps down, and greater flame for increasing temp.  As mentioned before, starting temp when adding the funnel is important.  I have a 2 cup kono, and it is quite stressful keeping a constant temp.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #557 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
Looks like I was waiting too long before attaching the top. I will have to give that a shot.

BoldJava

« Reply #558 on: December 06, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
Well, inquiring minds want to know.  Were you able to test fit your inventory of glass rods? 
Was there one you felt was a better fit for the Pebo?  Do you have enough of an inventory to sell one or two?

Buehler?  Buehler?

Rich, I busted into a box. The Corning rods do not fit.  Doesn't sit right.  The New Cory does fit but I only have one.  Let me check the basement to see if I have some standard Corys squirreled away.

Dave

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #559 on: December 26, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
Broke out the Bodum Pebo for use this morning as well as Christmas morning.
Spent some time reading back through this thread and some of the included links, so I felt
prepared to tackle the task.  34 ounce size vacpot.  Used two of our travel mugs to determine
the water size needed, weighed and adjusted amount of coffee accordingly.  Waited until
bottom globe reached 195*, placed top globe on and lowered heat from 6.5/10 to 5/10.  Water slowly
rose to top globe, but then unexpectedly emptied from top globe back to the bottom globe.  I assume
loss of temperature at burner to be the culprit. Next attempt left burner at 7 until the 90% of the bottom globe had
traveled north, then for an additional minute, then lowered to 5, put ground coffee into top globe,
started a 3 minute timer, and slowly paddled coffee to moisten all the ground coffee.  2 minutes later,
removed the vacpot from the burner and 50 seconds later, the top globe had been emptied of liquid.

Using the "new" Cory rod (5.75") purchased on Ebay a few weeks back rather then Pebo filter.  Significant amount
of grounds at the end of the cup. An adjustment is needed to the Baratza Vario I am afraid.  But the cup of coffee
both mornings was sublime.  Really fantastic.  Less stressful this morning then Christmas morning when I
was still reading and trying to work thorough all the necessary steps.  Not sure this can be an every morning
process, but it will be in the rotation for weekend mornings along with the 10 cup Espro.  Thanks to all who have
contributed to this thread, it was very helpful and appreciated.

Now how to adjust the Vario to grind coarser?  Was it the 2.0mm screw or the 2.5mm screw?  More reading and
researching will need to be done. 

BoldJava

« Reply #560 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Using the "new" Cory rod (5.75") purchased on Ebay a few weeks back rather then Pebo filter...

Rich, a New Cory rod is 6.25."  Does yours say "New" and really measure 5.75"?

jspain

« Reply #561 on: December 26, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
Rich,

Using a cory rod will leave "some" residue in the cup.... Just pitch the last sip. IMHO the great cup is worth a bit of residue. Try the courser ground but you won't get all the residue out with the "right" grind. Vac pot is my favorite. The boss. Patti, would not have anything but a vac pot in the morning. I use an 8 cup Yama. I've broke several over the years and always have a spare ready to go!! have fun, Jim 

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #562 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
Using the "new" Cory rod (5.75") purchased on Ebay a few weeks back rather then Pebo filter...

Rich, a New Cory rod is 6.25."  Does yours say "New" and really measure 5.75"?

Yep, my mistake.  I bought this one from an Ebay seller and believe it to be an original Cory Rod rather then a "new" Cory Rod.
And it cost me more then the $.60 listed on the box!!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:39:41 PM by Richdel »

BoldJava

« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:24 AM »
A.M. vacpot, 8 cup Yama, Corning glass rod, gas stove

Some notes:
º  Water begins migrating north at 104º and is the reason I don't add coffee until top reservoir reaches 202.º
º  Temp at 171º when all water had migrated north.
º  Waited until top water had reached 200º.
º  Reservoir temp can be controlled with gas flame, lower and higher.
º  Temp achieved 202º on lowest gas setting and remained steady during 2:15 steep.
º  Water remained at 201º for close to a minute, off burner.
º  Water migrated south for 2 min.  As volume decreased in upper globe, temp dropped more quickly.  When almost 7/8 empty, water dropped below 190.º

Great Anesi Yemen cup.  High note fruits/florals, very aromatic, squeaky clean.