Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73507 times)

jspain

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback! The last pot this morning was awesome! I did add aditional coffee and the cup was fantastic! The water all went to the bottom and the grouns were dry, but I didn't get the whoosh I got without the coffee. My guess is I was just expecting the same effect that I got with no grounds and obviously the grounds slow down that dramatic ending. I don't get the final sound, but if the cup is always this good, I don't care.
Thanks again Dave!
Jim ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2008, 04:32:56 AM »
Jim, two quick ideas, from my own experience.

1)  Are you making sure that he hook at the base of the filter is pulled down and over the lip of the globe's base?  I failed to do that on one occasion and just had it resting in there.
2)  Try weighing it...40-45 grams, grinding finer than a pourover.  Peter has me sold on the need to accurately measure. (Don't tell him I acknowledged that).

You should be getting two whoooooshes.  One is the final thrust North and the other is the final amount of coffee coming South.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:35:14 AM by BoldJava »

jspain

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:05 AM »
B/Java,

I'll try and measure tomorrow morning. Yesterday I didn't and I'm back to work today and used the old drip while in the shower this morning. When I used a grind at drip consistency yesterday it stalled all together at the end. When I went to a courser grind somewhere between a drip and a French Press grind it came south much better. The cup when I first started was a bit weak. I added coffee on the next two batches and WOW a great cup!!!!! I must admit this Vac Pot makes the best cup I've ever had! So, yes I will measure in the morning and go to 45 gram as you recommend. I'm hoping for a WHOOSH in my morning brew, so we'll see. As stated before, the last two batches slowed but didn't completley stall and the grinds were dry, just not that WHOOSH that shows a complete release of the vacuum. The other thing I thought about was that in my rush yesterday to "try er out", I did not measure the water. I went to the 5 cup mark and assumed that was correct. I might have too much water in to begin with? That might be creating a counter force that won't let the final WOOSH take place???? Having fun figuring this all out, but boy even with my slow learning curve the cup is GREAT!!!! I'll definatley be looking for the 8 cup with the next distro. The 5 cup doesn't make enough to even get me to work. I'm a coffee addict!
Thanks B'J for the help and the friendship! Jim ;D

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
I'll be looking for a Cory glass filter on e-Bay and such.  Any idea what they are selling for these days?
Bob Feuker

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
I paid about $8 shipped for mine, a long time ago. There may be a bit of a bidding war going on ATM with all the GCBC members trying to get one ;D

jspain

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »
I just brought one when everyone else was asleep om Ebay for $2.50 but paid $6.00 to have it shipped!!!!!! Jim ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
I'll be looking for a Cory glass filter on e-Bay and such.  Any idea what they are selling for these days?

From my limited observation they average $4.00 ish a piece plus shipping (usually another $4)

cfsheridan

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
Last Cory rod I picked up was $9.28 shipped

BoldJava

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »
Score.

Chad tipped me off to a local Cory on Craig's list, sitting there waiting for my TLC.  Love the pukey pea-green, avocado color.  $25, with original box.  Does life get any better?

Peter, get ready to watch this bad boy in action for our post cupping event tomorrow.

Happy B|Java, and 'danke' Chad
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:25:11 PM by BoldJava »

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
I have an extra Cory glass rod that I'd like to offer to a random GCBC vac pot user.  If interested in a chance shoot me a PM and I'll pick a name "out of the hat" a week from today, let's say the 4th @ noon is the deadline.  Shipping included. 

Could be the start of a "tradition" ala Sweet Maria's List Tradition.

Rich

BoldJava

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
I have an extra Cory glass rod that I'd like to offer to a random GCBC vac pot user.  If interested in a chance shoot me a PM and I'll pick a name "out of the hat" a week from today, let's say the 4th @ noon is the deadline.  Shipping included. 

Could be the start of a "tradition" ala Sweet Maria's List Tradition.

Rich

Rich, superb idea.  Thanks. I love the 'pay it ahead' this club promotes.

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
Love the pukey pea-green, avocado color.

Wow!  That is like s-o-o-o 1973!!  Too cool - never seen one like that!

waltfb

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
I had ordered an 8 cup Yama from SM right before the offer from Dave. I recieved it right before I got the beautiful tabletop Yama from Dave's distro.  Last weekend I found the mother load of vac pots!  I won't say where, but if you are looking for them try an antique store in an Amish community!  I got two of the Sunbeam C30 stainless steel electric vacpots one for $5 and one for $15.  The $5 one had a cory glass rod in it and the $15 unit  a filter holder that works with the Yama filters.  The $5 one had the top stuck and it's impossible to get it apart without destroying the seal.  The other one works but the inside of the bottom  unit has the nickle plating worn through to the copper.  I can probably combine the two to make one usable unit.They also had extra Cory rods for $5 each.  One of the vacpots I passed up had a glass bottom unit and a stainless top.  I though it was a missmatch until I searched the internet and found that pyrex made the pot that way.

I used one of the Cory glass rods in the 8 cup Yama.  The first time it worked great.  The second time it stalled and I couldn't get the coffee to go down.  I must have used the wrong grind the second time. I prefer the cloth filter! 

I've used the 5 cup Yama tabletop a couple of times but use the 8 cup Yama daily.  I really enjoy coffee from the vac pots.

waltfb

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
Last weekend I found the mother load of vac pots!  I won't say where, but if you are looking for them try an antique store in an Amish community! 

waltfb

I bet I know where  ;D  and that would have been my first place to follow up on your tip.... not too far from my mothers house...

~~Sigh~~

kuban111

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Score.

Chad tipped me off to a local Cory on Craig's list, sitting there waiting for my TLC.  Love the pukey pea-green, avocado color.  $25, with original box.  Does life get any better?

Peter, get ready to watch this bad boy in action for our post cupping event tomorrow.

Happy B|Java, and 'danke' Chad

congrats on the score.
Sounds like some one is becoming a bit of a vac pot collector.
Not counting but would this be  another coffee toy over some one? :-X

Enjoy
Michael