Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73617 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2009, 08:55:20 AM »
50 seconds to 80 seconds, varies by bean.  These times hold true in both 5-cup and 8-cup.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »
Another one bites the dust....

I just ordered a replacement funnel for my 8 cup stove top. Made a pot of coffee this weekend and after brewing I placed the funnel into the lid/holder. When I went to wash the funnel I found that somehow the chain from the filter had wedged itself between the stem and holder. While very very gently trying to separate the two pieces, about 2" of the stem snapped off.

This is the last time I order a replacement part. If I break something else I'm trashing the Yamas and sticking with my SS brewers.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. :)

BTW,
Any way we could sticky this thread?

Tex

« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »
Another one bites the dust....

I just ordered a replacement funnel for my 8 cup stove top. Made a pot of coffee this weekend and after brewing I placed the funnel into the lid/holder. When I went to wash the funnel I found that somehow the chain from the filter had wedged itself between the stem and holder. While very very gently trying to separate the two pieces, about 2" of the stem snapped off.

This is the last time I order a replacement part. If I break something else I'm trashing the Yamas and sticking with my SS brewers.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. :)

Another reason to like my vintage Silex vac pots. They're made of heavier Pyrex: I've got a dozen or so and have yet to break a pot; while I've bought two replacement pots for the Yama tabletop brewer.

BTW, Any way we could sticky this thread?

Seconded!

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »
I've been wanting to pic up a vintage glass/Pyrex vac pot. I've really been wanting one of the Cory rubberless models but they bring a war price on Ebay, most of the time around $100. The plain 'ol Cory and Silex vac pots are fairly inexpensive.

Tristan

« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »
Been trying to refine my routine with the Yama.  Yesterday I got a 2.5 minute draw down with a 5 cup batch.  It was the first complete draw down with the downward "woosh" and bubbling.  All my 8 cup draw downs have been stalling out.  Same coffee, same grind consistancy. Not sure why.  I'm following the advice in this thread as closely as I can.  

I used my gram scale to weigh 40 grams of coffee for 5 cups.  Preheated water goes to the 5 cup line and pot goes on electric stove with difuser at 6.5/10.  When I see a fair amount of steam rising I put the top on with the glass filter rod.  A few seconds before the "woosh" I reduce to 2/10 while I grind the coffee; ground to a beech sand like consistancy on my Baratza Maestro.  I "dunk" the grounds, not stir them, being careful not to make contact with the rod.  After 60 seconds I remove the yama from the stove and place on the counter.  2.5 minutes later the drawn down is concluded.

I use the above procedure but dose at 70 grams of coffee.  I've been stalling out at about 5.5-6 cups and the dip tube is totally full with no movement.  The cup tastes fine, but a bit weak due to incomplete extraction.

I'm wondering if this is a dosing issue.  I've dosed at 65 grams.  Same deal.  Then 60 grams.  Same deal.  I've even started adding the coffee more slowly to the upper globe to let the gentle bubbling action submerge the grounds with just a little "dunking" via paddle.  No clanks are audible and no dancing of the rod visible.  Any suggestions?

I've been wanting to pic up a vintage glass/Pyrex vac pot. I've really been wanting one of the Cory rubberless models but they bring a war price on Ebay, most of the time around $100.

I got lucky and scored an all glass cory model for around $50 shipped.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:43:33 AM by Tristan »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
I got lucky and scored an all glass cory model for around $50 shipped.

On ebay?  I bet it was the one I forgot to bid on. I was sick because the rubberless models had been selling for around $80-100. The one that sells for a reasonable price I miss out on. :(

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:53 AM »
All my 8 cup draw downs have been stalling out.  Same coffee, same grind consistancy. Not sure why.  I'm following the advice in this thread as closely as I can. 

Preheated water goes to the 5 cup line and pot goes on electric stove with difuser at 6.5/10.  When I see a fair amount of steam rising I put the top on with the glass filter rod.  A few seconds before the "woosh" I reduce to 2/10 while I grind the coffee;

I use the above procedure but dose at 70 grams of coffee.  I've been stalling out at about 5.5-6 cups and the dip tube is totally full with no movement.  The cup tastes fine, but a bit weak due to incomplete extraction.

I'm wondering if this is a dosing issue.  I've dosed at 65 grams.  Same deal.  Then 60 grams.  Same deal.  I've even started adding the coffee more slowly to the upper globe to let the gentle bubbling action submerge the grounds with just a little "dunking" via paddle.  No clanks are audible and no dancing of the rod visible.  Any suggestions?

Curious....try adding the top funnel sooner and not lowering the temperature at all.

If you ignore the advice of this group and follow the instructions that came with the product do you still get a stall?

Rich

Tristan

« Reply #307 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »
Curious....try adding the top funnel sooner and not lowering the temperature at all.

I'll try not lower the temperature and see what happens.  Do you think lowering the temperature too much causes the vacuum to not build up to a sufficient strength?

If you ignore the advice of this group and follow the instructions that came with the product do you still get a stall?
Rich 

LOL, come to think of it I have never read the instructions.  I got some hands on with Rob's and advice from this thread.   If all else fails I am going to read them and give that a shot!  Thanks for the advice!

Tristan

« Reply #308 on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »
On ebay?  I bet it was the one I forgot to bid on. I was sick because the rubberless models had been selling for around $80-100. The one that sells for a reasonable price I miss out on. :(

Yes, from E-Bay.  I got pretty luck with it.  It had never been used and included everything but the original box and the globe stand.  I've noticed the vacuum isn't as strong with the all glass model and I've never gotten a downward "woosh" with that model.  It came with a glass filter rod.  I'm guessing if I use the cloth filter that I got with the Yama it would work just fine.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #309 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »

Yes, from E-Bay.....

If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know..... ;) ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »

Rich

LOL, come to think of it I have never read the instructions.  I got some hands on with Rob's and advice from this thread.   If all else fails I am going to read them and give that a shot!  Thanks for the advice!

that's exactly right... instructions are for lighting the fire... (when you give up and decide to burn the #%@$! thing)

60 seconds on the heat seems a little short to me... I started out with the directions and then modified from their... a little courser grind seems to stall the process??? and I don't logically know why... I just except that the last swallow is staying in the pot and then I don't get mud in the cup... I boil my water in the kettle pour it in the yama bottom on med heat the water gets up in the top (if it is kicking the glass rod too much I turn it down just a little) pour in the coffee.. sink but not stir... 2:30 minutes I turn off the heat and pull the pot to a cool burner... tahda!!!

BoldJava

« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:01 AM »
Been trying to refine my routine with the Yama.  Yesterday I got a 2.5 minute draw down with a 5 cup batch...I grind the coffee; ground to a beech sand like consistancy on my Baratza Maestro.  I "dunk" the grounds, not stir them...

... Any suggestions?

All your technique sounds spot-on.  When guys ask me for suggestions on stalls, I first encourage them to narrow the problem.  Start with the grinder.  I am suspicious of the Maestro and the possibility of throwing 'fines.'  Eliminate the grind as the issue.

Find a good local roaster in Wausau or a shop with a top end grinder.  Buy a 1/2 lb of coffee and have them grind it a shade finer than pourover.  Try the grind and see how your draft-down goes.  Bet it self-resolves.

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:33:04 AM by BoldJava »

Tristan

« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
Executive Summary:  I believe I'm on the right path.  I have stopped lowering the heat so drastically due to my model of smooth top electric stove.  I have also let the coffee bubble up top for 90-120 seconds and have been getting complete draw downs with a total coffee/water contact time of 4-7 minutes up top.  The resulting cup has improved drastically.

All your technique sounds spot-on.  When guys ask me for suggestions on stalls, I first encourage them to narrow the problem.  Start with the grinder.  I am suspicious of the Maestro and the possibility of throwing 'fines.'  Eliminate the grind as the issue.
B|Java

Thanks for the reply Dave!  I was also suspicious of the Maestro.  It's certainly a mid grade conical burr grinder.  Not suitable for espresso grinding but more targeted to french press/drip. 

I used my Macap M4 for 3 or so batches; experimenting with a few different partical sizes from espresso to right below drip to see if it made a difference.  I experienced the same issues of stalling out even with use of a good grinder.

Last night my luck turned for the better resulting in two perfect draw downs.  The first was with the cloth filter in the 4 cup Cory with 32 grams of coffee.  The second was with the glass rod in the Yama with 5 cups of water and 40 grams of coffee.  The coffee was ground at the same partical size in the Meastro.  This particular coffee was decaf roasted to Full City ++ several weeks ago.  It was a long shot with this oily bean and a risk I thought would probably pose more problems with the vac pot brewing method.  Still, the draw downs were complete and ideal.

I modified my procedure to let the coffee steep for 90-120 seconds and added it when 80% of the water had travelled to the upper globe.  This resulted in vigurous draw downs with copious bubling and downward "woosh."  The coffee lacked any hint of bitterness and was sugary sweet with great body and very little sediment.  I was ecstatic!  Truth be told, I preferred the cloth filtered coffee at a lower coffee/water ratio.

This morning, with the Yama filled to 8 cups of water with 64 grams of coffee I experienced a total draw down without lowering the heat significantly.  I had started with the heat at 6.5/10 and lowered to 5/10 when 80% of the water was up north.  Same grind level using the Maestro, different coffee, but one that was roasted to Full City++ and also with quite a bit of visible oil.

I'm guessing reducing the heat too drastically was compromising vacuum strength.  Perhpas it was not strong enough to pull the liquid down through the coffee?  I also think not letting the coffee brew long enough with heat applied.  Maybe this was resulting in a excess build up of oils and grounds around the base of the filter rod prior to draw down/

This all is making sense.  My stove is a newer electric smooth top model that cycles the heating element off when the set temperature is achieved.  Perhaps lowering the heat to 2/10 was the culprit of my woes?  The element would cycle off completely for an extended period of time when set to 2 or 3/10.

There have been immediate improvements NOT lowering the heat significantly and letting the grounds steep for a longer period of time in the upper globe.  This has resulted in a total water/coffee contact time of 4.5-7 minutes.  I can't see any dancing of the rod or hear clinking even at 5/10 on the stove.

I'm going to keep experimenting with this.  IMHO I'm currently drinking some of the finest coffee I've brewed at home in quite a while.  The resulting coffee is sugary, rich and complex with great body.  No increase in sediment is visible at the bottom of the pot.  Good stuff!

Thanks for the wealth of info in this thread!  I feel practice and refining the procedure has me on the right track!  The information in this thread has been a great baseline.  Varying the procedure based upon my equipment has gotten me closer to coffee bliss!

I'm looking forward to brewing my recently roasted batches which have been specifically targeted towards use in the vac pots!

BoldJava

« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
Bingo!  Good on you.

B|Java

jspain

« Reply #314 on: October 03, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
Hate to throw a ringer in the discussion but I have a Maestro and have no problems with stalls! Heat, stove top and experience seem to be the factors to me... I have even used a hand grinder with no problems. I don't rush the issue. I "think" some try to go to quick?? Jim

ps, I have a smooth top electric stove. No problem. I tried my aunts gas range for two days and couldn't dial it in.... smiles