Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73649 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2009, 05:03:38 AM »
Gotta' hit Blue Bottle before I meet St. Peter.  $20,000 vacpot set-up.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/23/dining/20080123_COFFEE_SLIDESHOW_index.html

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »
Syphon contest in Tokyo limits steep time to 1-minute.  Hmmm....

http://www.jimseven.com/2009/11/07/one-title-doesnt-fit-all/#more-1190

B|2MinSteep

cfsheridan

« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2009, 05:43:44 AM »
I believe they use the 2 cup models for that contest.  I steep for 1:35 in my 3 cup Hario Nouveau.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »
I believe they use the 2 cup models for that contest.  I steep for 1:35 in my 3 cup Hario Nouveau.

interesting... you steep less time with less water?? is the ratio of coffee to water the same??

cfsheridan

« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
Yes

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #335 on: November 17, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
I steep for 1:35 in my 3 cup Hario Nouveau.

Curious, is that 1:35 total time, or 1:35 before taking off the heat?

- -Barrett

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
Executive Summary:  I believe I'm on the right path.  I have stopped lowering the heat so drastically due to my model of smooth top electric stove.  I have also let the coffee bubble up top for 90-120 seconds and have been getting complete draw downs with a total coffee/water contact time of 4-7 minutes up top.  The resulting cup has improved drastically.

All your technique sounds spot-on.  When guys ask me for suggestions on stalls, I first encourage them to narrow the problem.  Start with the grinder.  I am suspicious of the Maestro and the possibility of throwing 'fines.'  Eliminate the grind as the issue.
B|Java

Thanks for the reply Dave!  I was also suspicious of the Maestro.  It's certainly a mid grade conical burr grinder.  Not suitable for espresso grinding but more targeted to french press/drip. 

I used my Macap M4 for 3 or so batches; experimenting with a few different partical sizes from espresso to right below drip to see if it made a difference.  I experienced the same issues of stalling out even with use of a good grinder.

Last night my luck turned for the better resulting in two perfect draw downs.  The first was with the cloth filter in the 4 cup Cory with 32 grams of coffee.  The second was with the glass rod in the Yama with 5 cups of water and 40 grams of coffee.  The coffee was ground at the same partical size in the Meastro.  This particular coffee was decaf roasted to Full City ++ several weeks ago.  It was a long shot with this oily bean and a risk I thought would probably pose more problems with the vac pot brewing method.  Still, the draw downs were complete and ideal.

I modified my procedure to let the coffee steep for 90-120 seconds and added it when 80% of the water had travelled to the upper globe.  This resulted in vigurous draw downs with copious bubling and downward "woosh."  The coffee lacked any hint of bitterness and was sugary sweet with great body and very little sediment.  I was ecstatic!  Truth be told, I preferred the cloth filtered coffee at a lower coffee/water ratio.

This morning, with the Yama filled to 8 cups of water with 64 grams of coffee I experienced a total draw down without lowering the heat significantly.  I had started with the heat at 6.5/10 and lowered to 5/10 when 80% of the water was up north.  Same grind level using the Maestro, different coffee, but one that was roasted to Full City++ and also with quite a bit of visible oil.

I'm guessing reducing the heat too drastically was compromising vacuum strength.  Perhpas it was not strong enough to pull the liquid down through the coffee?  I also think not letting the coffee brew long enough with heat applied.  Maybe this was resulting in a excess build up of oils and grounds around the base of the filter rod prior to draw down/

This all is making sense.  My stove is a newer electric smooth top model that cycles the heating element off when the set temperature is achieved.  Perhaps lowering the heat to 2/10 was the culprit of my woes?  The element would cycle off completely for an extended period of time when set to 2 or 3/10.

There have been immediate improvements NOT lowering the heat significantly and letting the grounds steep for a longer period of time in the upper globe.  This has resulted in a total water/coffee contact time of 4.5-7 minutes.  I can't see any dancing of the rod or hear clinking even at 5/10 on the stove.

I'm going to keep experimenting with this.  IMHO I'm currently drinking some of the finest coffee I've brewed at home in quite a while.  The resulting coffee is sugary, rich and complex with great body.  No increase in sediment is visible at the bottom of the pot.  Good stuff!

Thanks for the wealth of info in this thread!  I feel practice and refining the procedure has me on the right track!  The information in this thread has been a great baseline.  Varying the procedure based upon my equipment has gotten me closer to coffee bliss!

I'm looking forward to brewing my recently roasted batches which have been specifically targeted towards use in the vac pots!

I wanted to weight in on the effect that filters have on the performance of Yamas.  I have been using Yama vac pots as my primarily brewer for about 10 years now.  In my obsessive/compulsive search for the perfect filter in my Yamas, I reckon I have tried to buy or 'jury-rig' every vac filter known to man.  The partial list includes:

>Yama with cloth filter
>Yama with custom-made 30micron nylon filter
>Yama with new cloth screw-down filter
>Cory glass rods,
>Nicro metal filter
>Starbucks Utopia nylon filter
>Bosum Santos plastic filter
>Hario metal/ paper combo filter
>Coffeemaster metal filter
> Yama screw-down/ Astoria espresso screen hybrid filter

As I was reading through the previous post, I noticed that you are using a Cory glass filter.  Here has been my experience with Cory glass filters: 

They make a great cup of coffee with no after taste BUT, whether they stall out or not is dependent on whether the tiny pores on the surface of the filter get clogged or not.  If the pores clog, the filter stalls!  What causes a Cory to stall?  Well, my experience (plus a considerable amount of searching on the internet) has been that a Cory stall is mainly due to the amount of chaff that is mixed in with your coffee.  Yes, grind inconsistency does have some part to play, but the major culprit is tiny chaff particles getting caught in the pores of the filter and clogging it.  That's why professionally roasted beans always seem to do better with a Cory filter.  Most professional roasters have roasters that do a very good job of removing chaff from the coffee they roast.  So when you use a professionally roasted coffee with a Cory filter, there is a better chance of it whoosing through without stalls.

Finally, to change the subject and wrap up this long-winded post, what is the best filter set-up for a Yama?  In my opinion, it is a Nicro filter.  No after taste, very consistent pull-down time, easy clean up, and you can't break em.  The only downside is that they are not easy to get and, like the Cory glass filter, they will stall if there is too much chaff in your grounds.

cheers
DG
"When the bubbles of coffee collect in the center of the cup, expect fair weather. When they adhere to the cup, forming a ring, expect rain. If the bubbles separate without assuming any fixed position, expect changing weather."- nautical proverb

Roaster: SC/TO
Brewers: Yama, Sunbeam C50, Nicro

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
PS: I also noticed that you were having better luck with Full City++ roasted beans.  I am not an expert in roasting, but I have always found that the longer you roast a bean, the less chaff that will remain on the bean.  Most likely, the reason your Full City++ beans worked with the Cory filter is because most of the chaff had been roasted off the beans and wasn't present to clog up the glass pores on the Cory filter.
"When the bubbles of coffee collect in the center of the cup, expect fair weather. When they adhere to the cup, forming a ring, expect rain. If the bubbles separate without assuming any fixed position, expect changing weather."- nautical proverb

BoldJava

« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »
DG said:

I wanted to weight in on the effect that filters have on the performance of Yamas.  I have been using Yama vac pots as my primarily brewer for about 10 years now.  In my obsessive/compulsive search for the perfect filter in my Yamas, I reckon I have tried to buy or 'jury-rig' every vac filter known to man.  The partial list includes:

>Yama with cloth filter
>Yama with custom-made 30micron nylon filter
>Yama with new cloth screw-down filter
>Cory glass rods,
>Nicro metal filter
>Starbucks Utopia nylon filter
>Bosum Santos plastic filter
>Hario metal/ paper combo filter
>Coffeemaster metal filter
> Yama screw-down/ Astoria espresso screen hybrid filter

We have one serious Vacpotter aboard.  Welcome to the thread; thanks for your expertise and willingness to share.

B|Java

jsfarq

« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Yama 5-cup on its way, also getting a Cory glass filter from B|Java, and I am a little concerned 'cause I do have a bit of chaff in my grind.  (Sounds like a Monday, doesn't it?  "How ya doin' Joe?"  "Eh, I got a bit of chaff in my grind."  

I have read a lot of this thread, and I am planning on doing several "water only" runs in it to make sure I get the hang of that.  Reading B|Java's virgin brew in his Yama from '08 ("whoooosh!") had me LOL.   ;D

Anyhow, is there anyway to remove more chaff from roasted-rested beans before grinding that might make this problem less of a problem?  I have one of those rubber tubes that gets the skin off garlic (mmmm.... a little garlic in your coffee?) but that seams tedious.  

Just wondering.

Jim

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:09 PM »
Yama 5-cup on its way, also getting a Cory glass filter from B|Java, and I am a little concerned 'cause I do have a bit of chaff in my grind.  (Sounds like a Monday, doesn't it?  "How ya doin' Joe?"  "Eh, I got a bit of chaff in my grind."  

I have read a lot of this thread, and I am planning on doing several "water only" runs in it to make sure I get the hang of that.  Reading B|Java's virgin brew in his Yama from '08 ("whoooosh!") had me LOL.   ;D

Anyhow, is there anyway to remove more chaff from roasted-rested beans before grinding that might make this problem less of a problem?  I have one of those rubber tubes that gets the skin off garlic (mmmm.... a little garlic in your coffee?) but that seams tedious.  

Just wondering.

I would have to defer to the greater knowledge of the GCBC 'collective' on this, but one thing I have found helpful was to pour the newly roasted coffee beans back and forth between two containers, while outside.  If there is any breeze blowing, it will blow the chaff off the beans as you pour them.  You can also rig up a chaff removal system which basically involves a fan blowing through a colander while you stir your newly roasted beans.  There actually are a few photos and descriptions of versions of this a few pages back in this 'Vacpots, Q's and A's' thread.

DG

Hikeon3

« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »

Just wondering.

I would have to defer to the greater knowledge of the GCBC 'collective' on this, but one thing I have found helpful was to pour the newly roasted coffee beans back and forth between two containers, while outside.  If there is any breeze blowing, it will blow the chaff off the beans as you pour them.  You can also rig up a chaff removal system which basically involves a fan blowing through a colander while you stir your newly roasted beans.  There actually are a few photos and descriptions of versions of this a few pages back in this 'Vacpots, Q's and A's' thread.

DG

To parrot that method, that's exactly what i do fresh out of the whirley pop. Dump to steel mesh colander, turn on the little fan i have, then pour in front of the fan between steel mixing bowl and colander. Chaff flies away and after a few minutes, beans are cool and nearly chaff-free.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #342 on: February 25, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
I just recently picked up an old cory on E bay.  the pot looks like a 5 or 6 cupper.  it came with an extra top piece which looks larger, like maybe an 8 cupper though i don't see how it will fit all in the bottom. 

They have the markings on them

Cory DNU,   DNL   and the bigger one  DCU....   they also came with a glass rod.

Will your filters work on this?

If so then all I need to do is figure out how to work this thing and im in business.... maybe.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoldJava

« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »

If so then all I need to do is figure out how to work this thing and im in business.... maybe.

Aaron

Aaron, I moved the post over here as others are more familiar with Corys than I am.  The DNU (upper) and the DNL (lower) will go together.  I have no idea about the larger dome to which you refer.  Maybe other will jump in and speak to it.

Filters?  You have the Cory rod which will work.  You are set to go, as is, without any cloth filters.  Read through these posts and learn to use the vacpot.  If you want a quick down and dirty, here is the Yama review I put on CG - it will apply.  http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/yamavacpots/BoldJava/5238 There is a ton of good material in this 23-page thread, so read away.

As to cloth filters, that is all I have.  I do not stock the metal stopper to which they attach.  You would need to order that from somewhere.  Once again, if you have the rod, you are good to go and don't need the cloth filters.  Some prefer cloth and that is why I stock them.  The cloth filters creates a really, really, sqweeky clean cup.  Also, if you roast consistently to FC+ or Vienna roast levels, you will struggle with stalls with a glass rod and then the cloth filters are a better approach as they don't stall.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:51:21 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2010, 06:16:38 AM »
Field Trip: Hario USA - Edwin Demos a Halogen Bar