Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73639 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »
I just recently picked up an old cory on E bay.  the pot looks like a 5 or 6 cupper.  it came with an extra top piece which looks larger, like maybe an 8 cupper though i don't see how it will fit all in the bottom. 

They have the markings on them

Cory DNU,   DNL   and the bigger one  DCU....   they also came with a glass rod.

Will your filters work on this?

If so then all I need to do is figure out how to work this thing and im in business.... maybe.

Aaron

I went to look at the letters on my cory... and the Yama yelled at me?!?! said I had neglected it too long... (waters heating as I type)

my gasket-less Cory (ground glass on the upper and lower is the seal) is DIU and DIL I see a few references on fleabay and craigslist that the DCU is a gasket-less top... if it has a flat ground glass ring where the neck would meet the base than they may be correct... may not work with the rest of your rig but you may find a bottom to match it to... I like the gasket-less.. but tey are few and far between...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
I just recently picked up an old cory on E bay.  the pot looks like a 5 or 6 cupper.  it came with an extra top piece which looks larger, like maybe an 8 cupper though i don't see how it will fit all in the bottom. 

They have the markings on them

Cory DNU,   DNL   and the bigger one  DCU....   they also came with a glass rod.

Will your filters work on this?

If so then all I need to do is figure out how to work this thing and im in business.... maybe.

Aaron

The DNU/DNL is a "rubberless" setup. That means it's a glass on glass seal. I actually have 2 of these combos. The were made during WWII. Cory made the rubberless model because most of the rubber supply was being direct toward the war effort.

The rubberless Cory's can be fickle when it comes to making the seal. I have heard that some won't make a seal at all. The seam where the top funnel meets the lip of the bottom pot has to be dry. I usually do a test run without coffee to make sure the seal is good. I also like to use either the Silex lock in glass rods or the Vaculator porcelain filter simply because they don't have the bounce you can sometimes get from a Cory glass filter rod.

I'v never seen a DCU/DCL combo. From what you say they sound like 2 different sizes of the rubberless model. They may not be compatible with the DNL.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
found this list at http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/Topic15368.htm don't know how accurate it is

I have a metal electric Cory vacuum pot.  When it reaches an
appropriate temperature, the electricity cuts off and the water
returns to the lower unit.  Unfortunately, if you leave the pot alone,
the heat will turn on again.  The glass Cory filter works fine with it.
Each size and model of Cory has different letters on it.  Here's my list:
      DYU/DYL is 4-6 cup gasket
      DRU/DRL is 7-8 cup gasket
      DXU/DXL is 10-12 cup gasket
      DIU/DIL is 12 cup gasketless
      DCU/DCL is 8 cup gasketless
      DNU/DNL is 4 cup gasketless (perhaps also known as DNG)
      DLU/DLL rubber ?
      DTU/DTL narrow neck
      DAU/DAL narrow neck
      DHU/DHL narrow neck
      DPU/DPL narrow neck
      DGU/DGL narrow neck
      DBU/DBL narrow neck
      ACB-3 is stainless steel CORY,
      ACU/ACL is metal electric pot

Offline DadAtHome

• Standard User
  • Intimacy with God, the goal of the gospel.
« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
Wow head change, that is some fancy equip!  ;D I use a lowly spirit stove for my yama and nicro and I am jealous!
Genesis 5:24 (HCSB) Enoch walked with God; then he was not there because God took him.

cfsheridan

« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »
35g for a 3 cup vacuum pot.  WAY overdosed.

BoldJava

« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »
Got the alert from Kuban111 and CFS on a new metal filter for vacpots from Caffepronto.  I have an email into them:
http://shadowboxer.posterous.com/caffe-probto-vac-pot-metal-filter

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »
Got the alert from Kuban111 and CFS on a new metal filter for vacpots from Caffepronto.  I have an email into them:
http://shadowboxer.posterous.com/caffe-probto-vac-pot-metal-filter

Confucius say; those who cannot grind for the rod will clean the screen.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
New filter time.  Kuban 111 and Chad put me on to a new filter.  Comes from Caffee Pronto and is a Yama filter, with an Astoria dispersion screen in it.  Kuban swears by it.  I have one "in the mail."  I will give it a couple of runs around the block and report back.

Here is the link in case you are anxious to try one on your own.  http://www.caffepronto.com/store/product_detail.php?c=&s=45-YscreenCP

B|Java

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:54:03 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
I anxiously await your report.

staggerlee

« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I actually DIYed a new filter a couple of weeks ago for my Yama. From McMaster, I purchased a sheet of 10 micron stainless steel mesh (92715T31).

The main problem I had was bending the material around the Yama filter "frame" in such a way that didn't leave huge gaps where the mesh folded. I never solved that issue per-se, but with some 5 micron polyester filter material I had also ordered (6376T11, the more the merrier, right?) I cut out a doughnut shaped piece the same diameter as the filter, and it serves as a gasket.

It's a very crude in design, but I really like how it performs. and I haven't used the glass rod since.

spdavies

« Reply #355 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
 :icon_sunny: Aloha from Hawaii, y'all - been mostly lurking and learning here - decided to throw my two cents in. I've read many of the pages in this thread but not all, so if I repeat info, forgive me. I got laid off a few months ago, giving me lots of time and opportunity to get as obsessive and crazy about this coffee thing as many of you are (no offense intended). I've bought waaay too much stuff off of eBay (going to have to start getting rid of some of it as soon as I decide what I like the best). I've got 2 Sunbeam C30s, a C50 on the way and a metal Cory. I've got a beautiful red narrow-neck Silex setup complete with stove, an older narrow-neck Silex with beautiful sculpted metal handle, a pristine never-used in the box white Silex wide-neck with stove and AnyHeet control (so nice I'm afraid to use it) and a FrankenVac of two globes that don't quite fit together (eBay burn). Also a Chinese knock-off of the Gold Royal Balance Brewer (half-size scale - 500ml - but really quite nicely made and works well); only $100. And a locally obtained Taiwanese copy of a Hara 5 cup that came with a butane burner - it is the bomb and my favorite brewer right now - among the vacs, that is - the espresso stuff is for another thread. Yes, I went over the edge. Yes, I need to divest.
Now that I've depressed myself by reminding me how much money I've blown on redundant coffee paraphernalia, I'll try to add a little to the conversation here - probably end up being redundant also. I've used a few types of glass rods, a metal filter, a cloth filter and a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch). I've had incredible success using the last type, the ceramic, without a cloth cover. I grind using a Maestro so I don't have to adjust my espresso grinder. I roast my own coffee and some of the roasts do have more left over chaff than others. My brews never stall, no matter how fine I grind, and the coffee is really smooth, clear and clean with almost no fines, sometimes none at all.  It works with all of the above brewers equally well. It's so fool-proof (I'm evidence) that I don't even consider or experiment with the other filters anymore.
Is this anyone else's experience? Am I missing anything here?
Thanks for indulging my sharing....
P.S. What does the check-box "Return to this topic" under the message box mean? I check it but I don't know what it does.

BoldJava

« Reply #356 on: April 02, 2010, 04:05:47 AM »
:icon_sunny: Aloha from Hawaii, y'all -

...a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch). I've had incredible success using the last type, the ceramic, without a cloth cover. I grind using a Maestro so I don't have to adjust my espresso grinder... My brews never stall, no matter how fine I grind, and the coffee is really smooth, clear and clean with almost no fines, sometimes none at all.  It works with all of the above brewers equally well. It's so fool-proof (I'm evidence) that I don't even consider or experiment with the other filters anymore...

Welcome to the thread, friend.  A vacpotter is always welcome here!

RE:  Ceramic without cloth, I am struggling to believe we are talking the same filter.  You describe the Silex D-3 (look on the bottom; hard to read).  It has 4 holes at 7/16" and 4 holes at 1/4."  I have that one and it remains a virgin.  Snagged it off eBay a year ago and can't bring myself into bathing it in the brown bean (have the same problem with a Cory retro plastic domed unit and a Polan that is new in the box).  

You using it without cloth?  Are we talking the same ceramic filter? How can the vacuum be created with those existing holes?  We must be talking different filters.

How long is your draw-down time once you remove it from the heat?  

B|Java

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:14:12 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #357 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »
:icon_sunny: Aloha from Hawaii, y'all -

...a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch). I've had incredible success using the last type, the ceramic, without a cloth cover. I grind using a Maestro so I don't have to adjust my espresso grinder... My brews never stall, no matter how fine I grind, and the coffee is really smooth, clear and clean with almost no fines, sometimes none at all.  It works with all of the above brewers equally well. It's so fool-proof (I'm evidence) that I don't even consider or experiment with the other filters anymore...

Welcome to the thread, friend.  A vacpotter is always welcome here!

RE:  Ceramic without cloth, I am struggling to believe we are talking the same filter.  You describe the Silex D-3 (look on the bottom; hard to read).  It has 4 holes at 7/16" and 4 holes at 1/4."  I have that one and it remains a virgin.  Snagged it off eBay a year ago and can't bring myself into bathing it in the brown bean (have the same problem with a Cory retro plastic domed unit and a Polan that is new in the box).  

You using it without cloth?  Are we talking the same ceramic filter? How can the vacuum be created with those existing holes?  We must be talking different filters.

How long is your draw-down time once you remove it from the heat?  

B|Java

One of the Dutch filters maybe?

Tex

« Reply #358 on: April 02, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
:icon_sunny: Aloha from Hawaii, y'all - been mostly lurking and learning here - decided to throw my two cents in. I've read many of the pages in this thread but not all, so if I repeat info, forgive me. I got laid off a few months ago, giving me lots of time and opportunity to get as obsessive and crazy about this coffee thing as many of you are (no offense intended). I've bought waaay too much stuff off of eBay (going to have to start getting rid of some of it as soon as I decide what I like the best). I've got 2 Sunbeam C30s, a C50 on the way and a metal Cory. I've got a beautiful red narrow-neck Silex setup complete with stove, an older narrow-neck Silex with beautiful sculpted metal handle, a pristine never-used in the box white Silex wide-neck with stove and AnyHeet control (so nice I'm afraid to use it) and a FrankenVac of two globes that don't quite fit together (eBay burn). Also a Chinese knock-off of the Gold Royal Balance Brewer (half-size scale - 500ml - but really quite nicely made and works well); only $100. And a locally obtained Taiwanese copy of a Hara 5 cup that came with a butane burner - it is the bomb and my favorite brewer right now - among the vacs, that is - the espresso stuff is for another thread. Yes, I went over the edge. Yes, I need to divest.
Now that I've depressed myself by reminding me how much money I've blown on redundant coffee paraphernalia, I'll try to add a little to the conversation here - probably end up being redundant also. I've used a few types of glass rods, a metal filter, a cloth filter and a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch). I've had incredible success using the last type, the ceramic, without a cloth cover. I grind using a Maestro so I don't have to adjust my espresso grinder. I roast my own coffee and some of the roasts do have more left over chaff than others. My brews never stall, no matter how fine I grind, and the coffee is really smooth, clear and clean with almost no fines, sometimes none at all.  It works with all of the above brewers equally well. It's so fool-proof (I'm evidence) that I don't even consider or experiment with the other filters anymore.
Is this anyone else's experience? Am I missing anything here?
Thanks for indulging my sharing....
P.S. What does the check-box "Return to this topic" under the message box mean? I check it but I don't know what it does.

Have you noticed any sudden urges to give all your money to John F? It's a very subtle motivational tool he developed. >:D

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
The Dutch Vaculator ceramic filter is my mostest favoritest vac pot filter. There are actaully 2 styles of Dutch Vaculator filters, a 2 piece and a 1 piece.