Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73619 times)

Tex

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #360 on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
The Dutch Vaculator ceramic filter is my mostest favoritest vac pot filter. There are actaully 2 styles of Dutch Vaculator filters, a 2 piece and a 1 piece.

I like my Vaculator filter, but I'm looking for one of the cylindrical Corry ceramic filters.

Orphan Espresso has a few filter types to choose from.

BoldJava

« Reply #361 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
I've used a few types of glass rods, a metal filter, a cloth filter and a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch)

The original poster is not describing a vaculator.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #362 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »
I've used a few types of glass rods, a metal filter, a cloth filter and a ceramic filter (the round flat type with the dangling spring catch)

B|Java

I missed that statement. Now I'm curious also ???

While we are on the subject of filters, this is my second favorite although it's rarely used because it was sooo expensive:

I recently picked up one of these to use with my Kent vac pot. The Kent makes a terrific cup of coffee, and when using the filter pictured below, a really clean cup:

Tex

« Reply #363 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »

B|Java

I missed that statement. Now I'm curious also ???

While we are on the subject of filters, this is my second favorite although it's rarely used because it was sooo expensive:

I recently picked up one of these to use with my Kent vac pot. The Kent makes a terrific cup of coffee, and when using the filter pictured below, a really clean cup:

My Gawd man, put those away! :o This is a family forum.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:30:45 PM by Tex »

BoldJava

« Reply #364 on: April 02, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
Very, very nice schtuff (quality toys), Jason.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:20:17 PM by BoldJava »

spdavies

« Reply #365 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
 :icon_sunny: Aloha - I'll try this again - I had a lengthy post then hit some wrong key and it vanished into the InterTubes...
I didn't realize there were so many strange and wonderful types of filters - that Cona one is really cool looking. The ceramic filter I have is a Silex D-119 (hard to read) which is like the one you pictured but no holes at all except the central one for the spring. It has small serrations in the ceramic around the bottom edge which is where the coffee filters through and it really does seem un-stallable as well as reliable, easy to clean and gives a very clean cup. Maybe I lucked out and got a good one - it came in one of my eBay Silex's. I'll try to get a picture on here for you if I can figure out how - never done it before.
As to the draw-down, it is prompt, strong and complete but I've never timed it - I'll time my next brew. I'm not into the micro-control you guys are yet - I'm still learning how to roast and I can't yet distinguish all the subtle flavors you describe in the cuppings. I did however have an "A-ha" moment with my first brew out of my ersatz Hara - I actually tasted what "brightness" or "acidity" was for the first time thanks to a good description of it by one of the gurus I read here who said it was like a "sensation all over your mouth" - I had never experienced or at least not noticed it before. I like medium roasts and deeper bottom-end coffees like Sumatran (chocolatey?) but am now trying to learn the other flavor components.
P.S. Now I now why I called my lawyer and put John F in my will...

spdavies

« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:22 PM »
 :icon_sunny: @Tex - my thoughts, too, when I saw them but I didn't have the nerve to say it - come to think of it, even "Vaculator" sounds kind of suspect...

Tex

« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
:icon_sunny: Aloha - I'll try this again - I had a lengthy post then hit some wrong key and it vanished into the InterTubes...
I didn't realize there were so many strange and wonderful types of filters - that Cona one is really cool looking. The ceramic filter I have is a Silex D-119 (hard to read) which is like the one you pictured but no holes at all except the central one for the spring. It has small serrations in the ceramic around the bottom edge which is where the coffee filters through and it really does seem un-stallable as well as reliable, easy to clean and gives a very clean cup. Maybe I lucked out and got a good one - it came in one of my eBay Silex's. I'll try to get a picture on here for you if I can figure out how - never done it before.
As to the draw-down, it is prompt, strong and complete but I've never timed it - I'll time my next brew. I'm not into the micro-control you guys are yet - I'm still learning how to roast and I can't yet distinguish all the subtle flavors you describe in the cuppings. I did however have an "A-ha" moment with my first brew out of my ersatz Hara - I actually tasted what "brightness" or "acidity" was for the first time thanks to a good description of it by one of the gurus I read here who said it was like a "sensation all over your mouth" - I had never experienced or at least not noticed it before. I like medium roasts and deeper bottom-end coffees like Sumatran (chocolatey?) but am now trying to learn the other flavor components.
P.S. Now I now why I called my lawyer and put John F in my will...

Yeah, but the only thing I felt like leaving him was the pair of undies I wore on my last fishing trip. Seems kinda suspicious that he'd plant that subliminal thought in my mind. ::)

BoldJava

« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2010, 05:36:05 AM »
New filter time.  Kuban 111 and Chad put me on to a new filter.  Comes from Caffee Pronto and is a Yama filter, with an Astoria dispersion screen in it.  Kuban swears by it.  I have one "in the mail."  I will give it a couple of runs around the block and report back...

This hit the porch last evening.  I will give it a 'kick the tires' this weekend with Milo and Chad.  Note:  I tried for fits:  chain is sufficiently long to use in both the 5- and 8-cup Yamas.

B|Java

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2010, 06:59:38 AM »
I am looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.  I recently bought an Astoria dispersion screen and teamed it up with a Yama screw-down filter.  I couldn't get it quite right and, as a result, there was a fair amount of 'mud' in the coffee. 
"When the bubbles of coffee collect in the center of the cup, expect fair weather. When they adhere to the cup, forming a ring, expect rain. If the bubbles separate without assuming any fixed position, expect changing weather."- nautical proverb

Roaster: SC/TO
Brewers: Yama, Sunbeam C50, Nicro

yorel23

« Reply #370 on: April 09, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
I have a question for you Vacpot gurus.  Maybe it's been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.  I see a lot of stainless steel vac pots.  The biggest thing holding me back from going down the vacpot rabbit hole is my fear of breaking the seemingly delicate glass ones.  Do you think that the same taste can/would be had on a regular basis from the stainless ones?  I know that you lose the visual appeal, but is the taste affected also?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #371 on: April 09, 2010, 02:38:40 PM »
I have a question for you Vacpot gurus.  Maybe it's been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.  I see a lot of stainless steel vac pots.  The biggest thing holding me back from going down the vacpot rabbit hole is my fear of breaking the seemingly delicate glass ones.  Do you think that the same taste can/would be had on a regular basis from the stainless ones?  I know that you lose the visual appeal, but is the taste affected also?

No real difference in taste IMHO. The only real difference between the glass and the SS is that the SS greatly benefit from a bit of preheating. Just let the water travel into the top and then go back down once before adding coffee.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #372 on: April 09, 2010, 04:03:52 PM »

No real difference in taste IMHO. The only real difference between the glass and the SS is that the SS greatly benefit from a bit of preheating. Just let the water travel into the top and then go back down once before adding coffee.

Or, just leave the water up north a tad longer before adding the coffee.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
It was time to add a Nicro stainless steel filter to the arsenal.  New, old stock. Never used.  Notice the $1.00 price written on the top of the box.

B|Java

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
Welcome to the Nicro filter club!   I am a big fan of them.  They work really well with the Yama 8 cupper that I have.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it compares to the other filters you have.
"When the bubbles of coffee collect in the center of the cup, expect fair weather. When they adhere to the cup, forming a ring, expect rain. If the bubbles separate without assuming any fixed position, expect changing weather."- nautical proverb

Roaster: SC/TO
Brewers: Yama, Sunbeam C50, Nicro