Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73636 times)

Tex

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #390 on: May 19, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »

Anyone ever used one of these? The design seems a bit sketchy but it make work fine. I bought it mainly to add to the collection anyway.

Yes, I have the ceramic (what else is new?), a clear glass one, and a glass one with a green hue to it from Canada (which is a tad larger, maybe metric measured with the cast?).

B|Java

How do they perform as a filter? I've read that these were the predecessor to the glass rods.

That's irrelevant - he HAS one!

BoldJava

« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »

That's irrelevant - he HAS one!

<Oh boy, does Tex know me, yikes!>

Jason, mine have never been bathed nor will they.  There is a reason these were on the market only a few years.  They came out in the mid 30's. (I think BA Harris says '34 was the patent year).  There was a 'sock' that went over the 'foot.'  Maybe a Cory pot would be different but my hands are so large, I can't get my hand into the Yama sufficiently to place it.  I would have to drop it a couple of inches.  On top of that, it would be a perpetual mess to fish that socked brick out of the pot, remove it, get the grinds into the trash, wash it, etc.

I think it is very clear why these went out of fashion and were replaced by the rod.  Here is a catalog from '41 that shows both the Fast Flo, item DF, and the Cory rod right below it.

And Tex is right, I have them; at least one of every filter I can find.

B|Java

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:02:04 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
And here is where Cory shows the Fast Flo the side door and welcomes the New Cory Rod:

BoldJava

« Reply #393 on: May 19, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Here is your sock arrangement for the Fast Flo, Jason.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #394 on: May 19, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
EXCELLENT material you've posted there Senor Java. Thanks.

My filter arrived in the mail today and it's bigger and heavier than I assumed from seeing the pictures. I know exactly why you would not want to drop it, from any height, into a glass vac pot funnel.

I may never use the filter but that doesn't mean that I don't want the ceramic version and the other glass version ;D.

I remember reading somewhere that some of the glass models had a flower molded into the glass. Mine arrived sans glass flower. Perhaps your Fast-Flo that came from the Great White North has said flower?

BoldJava

« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that some of the glass models had a flower molded into the glass. Mine arrived sans glass flower. Perhaps your Fast-Flo that came from the Great White North has said flower?

A-up.  I am a flower bearing glass Cory brick holder.  Keep hunting.  I saw one on eBay about 2 weeks ago and the guy had it advertised, "Cory Paper Weight, Complete with its Own Bag."  He went on to describe it as a promotional marketing item.  I sent him an email and he said, "Thanks, really didn't have a clue what it was."

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:18:40 AM by BoldJava »

staggerlee

« Reply #396 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:23 AM »
the guy had it advertised, "Cory Paper Weight, Complete with its Own Bag."

That is HILARIOUS!

BoldJava

« Reply #397 on: May 22, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »
Staggerlee is among the novitiates now -- The Order of Cory.

B|Supplier

JoshInCA

« Reply #398 on: May 22, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
What I wanna know (besides everything, and everything else :angel:) is,

What are those codes? PANDA PUREE is a bit disturbing, and I can't help wondering what DUCAT and DOBBIN were doing in the midst of all those PWORDS ... on a guided tour or something like that? Stepchildren of the bride's divorced dad's second ex's new husband?

BoldJava

« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
Interesting post Josh. Maybe vacpots that are yet to be conceived of, designed and produced?

B|Lost

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Anybody have any experience with the Bodum Santos Electric vac pot?

BoldJava

« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »
Cwap.  Lost this one.

It is a vintage Hellem, French made, new old stock.  Thought I was covered with a bid and went to work happy.  Had meetings so I couldn't track the bidding.

Got trumped.  Someone else wins.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:43:17 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
Hint; find out what the Czarina's ebay name is.  She may outbidding you, just so you don't bring it home, and selling it before you see it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
Cwap.  Lost this one.

It is a vintage Hellem, French made, new old stock.  Thought I was covered with a bid and went to work happy.  Had meetings so I couldn't track the bidding.

Got trumped.  Someone else wins.

B|Java
Oh were you bidding on that one?  Sorry (I could have watched it for you).

BoldJava

« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
Trigger finger saw action 3 minutes ago.  A new old stock Pyrex GE vacpot, Automatic, without the heating element.  Bam!  Bagged in one shot.

Anyone run one of these electrical burner designed vacpots on the kitchen stove?  Balance?  Glass tolerance of heat using just a 'thingamajig?' Trivet?

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:56:17 AM by BoldJava »