Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73615 times)

cfsheridan

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2010, 08:16:21 AM »
Cwap.  Lost this one.

It is a vintage Hellem, French made, new old stock.  Thought I was covered with a bid and went to work happy.  Had meetings so I couldn't track the bidding.

Got trumped.  Someone else wins.

B|Java

Ooh. That's a nice pot.  I lost out on one of those a few months back.  I think six is too few vac pots anyway.

BoldJava

« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
Trigger finger saw action 3 minutes ago.  A new old stock Pyrex GE vacpot, Automatic, without the heating element.  Bam!  Bagged in one shot.

Anyone run one of these electrical burner designed vacpots on the kitchen stove?  Balance?  Glass tolerance of heat using just a 'thingamajig?' Trivet?

B|Java

Yahoo group long-timers said it works fine on a range top, using a small trivet/diffuser with medium heat.  Good to go.

Pics pending.

B|Java

spdavies

« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
Yeah, I use mine on the stovetop all the time - easy to make a trivet - cut a piece of coathanger wire and bend into a "Z" shape the right size to support the pot. Another caution - be careful about where you set the pot taking it off the heat - a cool counter top can cause it to break. I set mine on a kitchen towel or pot holder.

BoldJava

« Reply #408 on: September 04, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
Thx, SPD.  I have tons of trivets from my Yama/Cory/Silex collection.  I usually rest the spent pot right on the top of the stove, off a burner.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
When you have an itch, scratch it.  New, old stock GE Automatic.  Early 40's.

Gasket shows no sign of use/wear; very supple.  Softer than traditional gasket (see next post).

Big question is can I use it or will it join the other unbaptized vacpots in the cellar?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:30:08 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
Here is the top of an 'Automatic.'  The words say, 'clamp' and 'release.'  It seems to be a second means of vacuum support (has the standard Cory filter).  Need to figure it out so it does not play Mount St. Helena on me.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:57:46 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
Here it stands with an 8-cup Yama.  Move over Y.A.Yama.  A G.E. pre-Welch is in the house.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:33:00 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
Love the funky retro-ness of it.  I can hear the old telephones, see the women's hair-do's, and wait for the camera to cut to Humphrey Bogart with a cigarette dangling from his lips in a B&W flick.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:35:25 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
I use every vac pot I buy at least once. I don't feel it's my vac pot till I run some home roast through it.

BoldJava

« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »
I use every vac pot I buy at least once. I don't feel it's my vac pot till I run some home roast through it.

That is actually how I voted as well.  Brother Sheridan urged me to brew in a couple of other virgins I have in the cellar.  I didn't budge.  On this one, I may be tipped to brew.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »
I usually try every vac pot at least once, but I'm just sticking this one up the shelf. It doesn't look like it's ever been used (no scratches or marks on the gasket). It's too '60ish for my tastes, but it's one I didn't have.

Silex Regent - early 60's?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:11:57 PM by Tex »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Love the funky retro-ness of it.  I can hear the old telephones, see the women's hair-do's, and wait for the camera to cut to Humphrey Bogart with a cigarette dangling from his lips in a B&W flick.

the Czarina tied you up for buying too many coffee toys I see ~wink~

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #417 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
I usually try every vac pot at least once, but I'm just sticking this one up the shelf. It doesn't look like it's ever been used (no scratches or marks on the gasket). It's too '60ish for my tastes, but it's one I didn't have.

Don't forget the doily.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #418 on: September 22, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »

Don't forget the doily.

Mrs T has chosen one of her Grandmother's Plauener Spitze doilies for this.

spdavies

« Reply #419 on: September 22, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
Hi BJava - I think the clamp/release is just to hold the lid on the upper globe so the handle can be used to lift it off - actually a handy feature because taking the hot globe off of my Silex is always a little messy and dicey - I don't think it has anything to do with the vacuum functions. Go for it!
A related question - I have a pristine white Cory NOS in box which I may sell - if I run a brew through it to test it out, can I no longer call it New Old Stock? Is it now just a plain old used pot?
Also, I went through an eBay buying frenzy when I first got into this "cult" and acquired quite a few pieces - glass and metal vacuum pots, espresso machines, espresso cups, roasters, grinders, etc., etc.
I need to pare down to just a few pieces that I actually use and a few of my favorite "collectibles" that I don't want to part with.
Would it be better to offer the items on this site first before going to eBay? What kind of items are the site members here interested in? Only perfect collectibles or also functional but imperfect items? Thanks for any input on this.
Aloha, Stephen In Paradise. :glasses9:
Hey, who trimmed the smileys? - my palm tree is gone!