Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73626 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »
Hi BJava - I think the clamp/release is just to hold the lid on the upper globe so the handle can be used to lift it off - actually a handy feature because taking the hot globe off of my Silex is always a little messy and dicey - I don't think it has anything to do with the vacuum functions. Go for it!

Thanks for the insight. Sounds much more logical. I will brew in it on Saturday morning.  

A related question - I have a pristine white Cory NOS in box which I may sell - if I run a brew through it to test it out, can I no longer call it New Old Stock? Is it now just a plain old used pot?

I would leave it untested and sell it as New, Old Stock.

Also, I went through an eBay buying frenzy when I first got into this "cult" ...
I need to pare down to just a few pieces that I actually use and a few of my favorite "collectibles" that I don't want to part with.
Would it be better to offer the items on this site first before going to eBay?

My guess is that you know their value.  If you are going to offer them here, I would probably cross post on Coffee Geek with fixed prices so that you are hitting a broader market.  Just make sure you keep them both current to save everyone their sanity.  A member did that recently and moved a ton of stuff at reasonable, market-appropriate prices.

What kind of items are the site members here interested in? Only perfect collectibles or also functional but imperfect items?
Hey, who trimmed the smileys? - my palm tree is gone!

Wrong site.  http://homeroasters.org ?  No palms here except for the ones stretched out, looking for beans.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:20:31 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #421 on: September 26, 2010, 05:58:40 AM »
I ran a test run with just tap water on the vintage GE to ensure that the water would move north and stay there.  Worked fine.  Time for the coffee test. (42 ounces to 8-cup line).

Ran up to 196 and added the top dome with some Guat (standard Cory rod), ground to slight fine side of medium -- my standard vacpot grind.  No rod dancing. Two minutes steep.  Needs continued medium plus heat, whereas the Yama benefits from a turn-down to medium low once water is ascended. Removed from heat.  85% of fluid descended in 1:40 and then it stalled.  (My Yama/Cory rods never stall).

Took the Cory out -- poked at the grounds that were problematic.  All fines (these don't preclude the Yama from totally draining).  Compared the rod seating areas of domes on the Yama and the GE.  The Cory rod sits in a relatively flat Yama seating.  In the GE, there is more of an angle as the dome moves into the tube leading south.  Therein lies the difference.

Going to throw the New Cory rod (was using standard) and the Silex Lox-In to see if that makes a difference.

I count it is a success.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:47:23 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #422 on: October 14, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »
Got outbid on this twin for my 1960s Avocado green plastic domed Cory.  New old stock in the box.  I wonder if HeadChange scored?

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:54:36 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Had it in my watch list and my iPhone told me it was closing soon, but I didn't bid. Expected it to sell for more than it did.

ecc

« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
Count me in as a member of the vacpack.   I broke the top bowl on my 5 cup tabletop model and couldn't finish the day without ordering a replacement. I had it for 6 months and maybe used it twice with the stock filter. After B|sniper hooked me up with with the silex a month ago, it has had daily use.

Greater infusions seems to be the current price leader for replacements, but I ended up spending extra because I wanted to try the ceramic filter orphan had.
Then I went a little crazy and bought a metal filter to try from caffe pronto, and would have bought a littler 3 cup Hario if I could have found it.

Do the little 3 cup versions use different size filters? Why no US Hario tabletop vacpot distributors?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #425 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:19 AM »
ecc pointed out these ultra-cool Hario vac pot paper filter units. They look like they would work well on Yamas and other vac pots. I'm checking with my Hario distributor to see if I can get some.

While researching those paper filter holder I ran across a a write-up on using a similar filter holder with an Astoria dispersion screen to make a all metal vac pot filter:

ecc

« Reply #426 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »
Andy Sprenger works for Caffe Pronto, and sells the completed assembly from their website.  I have seen mention of it in this thread.  Unfortunately, they are back-ordered.  Which led me to espresso parts trying to get a yama tea filter.  Back-ordered.

Hario does sell a wire tea mesh for their paper filter assembly for around $10, but the Astoria screen can be had slightly cheaper, and looks way cooler.

Offline dg

• Standard User
« Reply #427 on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
I have tried a ton of different filters with my Yama, including the Hario metal/ paper combo and the Astoria wire filter mod.  If you are going to spend money for an extra filter, my advice it to try and get your hands on a vintage Nicro metal filter from a Nicro Vac Brewer (usually you can find one up for auction on eBay).  It fits the Yama brewer and is, IMHO, the very best filter you can find for the Yama.  Over the past 10 years using a Yama and having tried almost every type of filter combo with a Yama that you can think of, I would have to say that the Nicro consistently produces the best cup of joe with minimal clean-up mess. 

My second most favourite filter for the Yama is the tried and true cloth filter that comes as standard issue with the Yama.  Only problem is that the Yama cloth filter will need to be washed/ changed occasionally to keep the coffee oils from building up.

DG
"When the bubbles of coffee collect in the center of the cup, expect fair weather. When they adhere to the cup, forming a ring, expect rain. If the bubbles separate without assuming any fixed position, expect changing weather."- nautical proverb

Roaster: SC/TO
Brewers: Yama, Sunbeam C50, Nicro

karlo

« Reply #428 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
I just dug out an old GE vacpot from our shop's basement storage - I'm still going through the random boxes of stuff that came with the shop. It has an electric base, and looks to have all the pieces except for the power cord. Anyone have any idea where to get a cord for this, and if it's even worth getting?

The sticker on the bottom plate says " CAT NO 119P15, 115 volts, 550 watts". Wonder if it's worth pursuing or if I should just put it on display and pick up a new vacpot (I've never used one before).

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #429 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »

Anyone have any idea where to get a cord for this,

Thrift stores, prolly generic two pronger?

karlo

« Reply #430 on: December 28, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »

Anyone have any idea where to get a cord for this,

Thrift stores, prolly generic two pronger?

It is. I'll probably just leave it in the car for the next time I pass a Thrift.

Tex

« Reply #431 on: December 29, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Do you think this guy was just pulling our leg?

Vacuum Coffee Maker

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #432 on: December 29, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
I found a Bodum Santos at a local thrift store today.. $6.00  Any one use one of these?? any thoughts, opinions, warnings??  bodum site has replacement filters and a price but it says "coming soon"

Found a manual on line and didn't learn much from it.. its very simple machine.. 7 grams per cup..  I will pour coffee in as soon as the coffee is all in the top chamber.. I ran a full pot of water through it, 5 minutes from start to almost launching a glass filter rod?!?!?! (guess I will try the micro filter in the morning) 2.5 minutes later it stopped heating the water and then at 3 minutes brew time it started a 30 second drop south.. we shall see how well it makes coffee in the morning

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »
Wow. What a find. An electric Bodum Santos for $6? That's a fantastic deal. 

I almost bought one off CG not too long ago. It was intended to be used as an everyday vac pot, but during my research I found that the plastic tends to crack and leak over time. 

I've never used one but I read that you can modify it to improve the final product.  I think you remove a little length from the bottom of the funnel. 

If you ever get tired of looking at it let me know and I'll buy it from you. ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
that would be a bummer if it brittles out... I am planning on it being my main large pot brewer.. I use a clever (that brittled out) for our usual morning needs..   any clue on where you saw those mods?