Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73625 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #435 on: December 29, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
I used one with the stock filter for a while and they make a good cup.  The trick was to put a quarter under the pot where the handle is.  This keeps some water in the bottom over where the sensor is that normally tells it that it's empty and should turn the heating element off, which in turn keeps the water up north a little longer.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2010, 04:04:04 AM »
I used one with the stock filter for a while and they make a good cup.  The trick was to put a quarter under the pot where the handle is...

Then why did you ask me for a $.50 piece when I was over when we tried this machine?  

Which reminds me, you never gave it back.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:08:24 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #437 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »
any clue on where you saw those mods?

I can't remember where I saw the instructions. I looked for them a bit this a.m. but didn't turn up anything. I'll keep looking and let you know what I find.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #438 on: December 30, 2010, 06:35:05 AM »

I can't remember where I saw the instructions. I looked for them a bit this a.m. but didn't turn up anything. I'll keep looking and let you know what I find.

it makes a pretty good cup right out of the gate.. if B|numismatist will send me a quarter, half dollar and a silver dolor I would do a few tests on peters fix..

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #439 on: December 30, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »

it makes a pretty good cup right out of the gate.. if B|numismatist will send me a quarter, half dollar and a silver dolor I would do a few tests on peters fix..

If you're waiting for B|CoinCollector to help out, you should be expecting to see how it works with a nickel.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #440 on: December 30, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »

If you're waiting for B|CoinCollector to help out, you should be expecting to see how it works with a nickel.

He can throw one of those in if he likes ~~grins~~

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
I brewed up a 5 cup pot of Saturday's City+ Burundi Kayanza Bwayi on Sunday in the Yama 8 cup with the Silex Lox-In glass rod that B|Java sold me and recorded a video with my phone.  No high production values and I didn't record the audio lest a family member have a few choice words to say about my endeavorer, but I thought there might be some interest and I didn't see a better place to post this.

Siphon Coffee (and bacon) on Youtube

Yes, that's a pan of bacon frying in the background.  The Burundi was really nice with nice oils floating on top with some crisp apricot acidity and the bacon and popeyes were good too.

sigh.... now I want breakfast for dinner!?!?!

Tex

« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

I let the water come to a full boil in the lower pot before I attach the top pot. As the water heats, it will begin rising through the tube before it reaches proper brewing temps. Waiting for it to boil before letting it rise ensures a higher brewing temp...

If you put the top on while it is boiling, you will blow the roof off.  I doubt you mean that literally.  My guess is that you are putting the dome on around 196-198,* either as the temp is ascending or dropping down after it has boiled.  I catch it on the way up.

B|Java

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:19:18 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #443 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »

I let the water come to a full boil in the lower pot before I attach the top pot. As the water heats, it will begin rising through the tube before it reaches proper brewing temps. Waiting for it to boil before letting it rise ensures a higher brewing temp...

If you put the top on while it is boiling, you will blow the roof off.  I doubt you mean that literally.  My guess is that you are putting the dome on around 196-198,* either as the temp is ascending or dropping down after it has boiled.  I catch it on the way up.

B|Java

Please don't edit my posts to add comments, use reply or quote.

I add water from my HX to the lower pot, put it over the heat source, wait until it's at a rolling boil, then put the top pot on. I've never had the roof blown off yet. I wait 'til the water is almost all in the top chamber to add the coffee & stir it a few times.

I don't see a safety issue?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #444 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
I have had instances of a violent explosion of water from the top if I let the the water get to a rolling boil in the bottom before adding the funnel. It's not blowing water all the way up to the range hood, but it is enough spill over the edge and down the sides of the vac pot. I've always heard that getting water on the outside of the bottom pot while on the burner can cause cracks or breakage, but that's never happened to me.

I boil water in a kettle, add it to the bottom, and then put on the funnel with the burner on my electric stove at 75%.  When a little over half the water has migrated north I cut the heat back to about 35% and leave there for the duration of the steep. I don't add coffee until all the water has come up and is "bubbling" (from the vacuum and not from heat). Just before adding coffee my water temp is 198'ish.

Tex

« Reply #445 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
I have had instances of a violent explosion of water from the top if I let the the water get to a rolling boil in the bottom before adding the funnel. It's not blowing water all the way up to the range hood, but it is enough spill over the edge and down the sides of the vac pot. I've always heard that getting water on the outside of the bottom pot while on the burner can cause cracks or breakage, but that's never happened to me.

I boil water in a kettle, add it to the bottom, and then put on the funnel with the burner on my electric stove at 75%.  When a little over half the water has migrated north I cut the heat back to about 35% and leave there for the duration of the steep. I don't add coffee until all the water has come up and is "bubbling" (from the vacuum and not from heat). Just before adding coffee my water temp is 198'ish.

I've had trouble if I overfill the bottom bowl. It happens when you add the cold upper bowl with its cold glass.

BoldJava

« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »
Please don't edit my posts to add comments, use reply or quote.

I add water from my HX to the lower pot, put it over the heat source, wait until it's at a rolling boil, then put the top pot on. I've never had the roof blown off yet. I wait 'til the water is almost all in the top chamber to add the coffee & stir it a few times.

I don't see a safety issue?

Edit on your post was inadvertent, not intentional.  I apologize.  I wasn't aware of it until you kindly pointed it out.

As Jason attests (and I can confirm), if a novice took your directions literally, using a Cory rod, that water will indeed roll over the top and spit at whomever is near it at the rolling boil you posted.  Suggest you measure that temp that you are describing as a "rolling boil" that doesn't spill over the sides of the dome.

Note to others:  From a safety perspective, buy a thermometer, put the dome in at 198*.  I would encourage you not to put the dome on at a rolling boil as Tex suggests.  If you feel his approach is worth a try, use a thermometer and on each successive pot, use water that is one degree hotter.  Find out for yourself at what temp life becomes interesting.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:29:08 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:20 AM »
I've had trouble if I overfill the bottom bowl. It happens when you add the cold upper bowl with its cold glass.

I'll admit that I always overfill. :-[

jspain

« Reply #448 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »
I use my vac pot every morning. I set the bottom, with water, on the burner and let it come up to temp with a setting on 5 out of 10. I take my shower, fill the wood burner, come upstairs and add the top. Once the water rises I turn the temp down to 3 and brew! never had a problem....... until a couple days ago I was "attending my operation with the top on with the setting at 7" and the phone rang. I forgot it was on and it overflowed and the bottom broke!  :(

Thank goodness a spare was in the shop and production continues each morning....... Moral of the story, "Don't answer the phone!"  jim  >:D

Tex

« Reply #449 on: February 09, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »
I forgot to mention that I turn the butane burner to low when ~75% of the water has been pushed up the tube.

I was taught my technique by grandma, who used one of my Silex since it was given to her as a wedding gift 70(ish) years ago. She warned us often to never overfill the lower chamber, or we'd get a dangerous eruption of water.