Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73625 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #450 on: February 09, 2011, 07:08:13 AM »
I was taught my technique by grandma, who used one of my Silex since it was given to her as a wedding gift 70(ish) years ago. She warned us often to never overfill the lower chamber, or we'd get a dangerous eruption of water.

I'll bet she was making frou-frou.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
I was taught my technique by grandma, who used one of my Silex since it was given to her as a wedding gift 70(ish) years ago. She warned us often to never overfill the lower chamber, or we'd get a dangerous eruption of water.

With Maxwell House .... mmmmmm ;D

Tex

« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:01 AM »

You bet your bippy; she was making Cajun-style cafe au laite, and doing so with fresh-roasted beans for most of her life. Grandpa owned a country store/gas station in Humble, Texas (one of my all-time oxy morons!), and had what looked like one of the old time Royal peanut/coffee roasters (besides coffee he also sold fresh roasted goobers).

Grandma gave my mom & dad a Silex for a wedding present (late 30's) that they never used - only a modern aluminum percolator was good enough for them!

I used to spend most of my summers helping at the store, but was never allowed to use the roaster - that had to wait until a few years ago when I began home roasting. They had a double-decker Silex vac pot setup in the store that I wish I had now - it could make two pots at a time on the lower burners and keep two warm on the top burners.

Coffee was free to everyone who came in the store; her beignets & donuts were a nickel each, and she was always busy frying fresh ones. She's the one who taught me what good coffee was supposed to taste like. I could never get past the first sip with the  stuff mom used to make! :icon_puke_l:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:59:33 AM by Tex »

BoldJava

« Reply #453 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:54 AM »
Had to add this toy.  I have never seen this porcelain vacpot filter.  Must have been a short-lived product.  Grabbed it off eBay and will see if it needs to be fitted with cotton filter or if it works 'nude' once it arrives.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
Take a look at this vac pot.

1) I'll bet the bottom pot cracks after the first few uses because of the glass handle that's attached to the pot (different expansion rates).

2) Look at the funny little spout on the side. I'm assuming that's a stopper behind the pot? Maybe if the brew stalls one could apply a little mouth-suction to move things along?

There may be an underground market for this. It's got the makings of a killer bong!

johnlp

« Reply #455 on: June 30, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
I have a porcelain filter I use with my Silex K2 vacpot. I use it as is, no cloth filter. It does a good job, but I prefer a glass rod. You don't have to worry about bumping the filter when wetting the grounds, which is a plus. Clean up is easy enough. The K2 is a little small for a glass rod, making it difficult to get the coffee submerged without bumping the rod. So, I just use the porcelain filter and it works fine. Good luck with your new filter.

RobertL

« Reply #456 on: July 13, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »
After reading this thread I had to pull the trigger on a stovetop Yama 5 cup.

Tex

« Reply #457 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »

You know what they say, "Once you go vac, you'll never go back!" ;D

jspain

« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »

My 8 cup Yama is my main brewing method! Nothing like a good vac pot! No it's not espresso, but a good cup of vac pot coffee is the best brewing method for a "good cup of coffee!" IMHO

Tex

« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »

My 8 cup Yama is my main brewing method! Nothing like a good vac pot! No it's not espresso, but a good cup of vac pot coffee is the best brewing method for a "good cup of coffee!" IMHO

I'd rate the AP & FP slightly ahead of the vac pot for complexity of flavor, but it's certainly capable of producing a great cup of coffee.

RobertL

« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
My first experiment today with the vac pot didn't go well. During my steep time I left the heat too high and the water up top reach boiling point. Lesson learned, I'll give it a try again tomorrow with less heat after the water goes up top. I also think I used too little coffee I follow SM's suggestion of 32 grams for a five cup. I think I remeber reading here that most people had settled on 38 grams but I will go back through the thread and check that.

BoldJava

« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
My first experiment today with the vac pot didn't go well. During my steep time I left the heat too high and the water up top reach boiling point. Lesson learned, I'll give it a try again tomorrow with less heat after the water goes up top. I also think I used too little coffee I follow SM's suggestion of 32 grams for a five cup. I think I remeber reading here that most people had settled on 38 grams but I will go back through the thread and check that.

38-40 gr, slightly finer than a drip or pourover.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #462 on: July 15, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
This is how I use my 5-cup vac pot.
2011-05-12: How I use a Yami vaccum coffee maker to brew a perfect cup of coffee

I don't claim to be a vac pot exspurt, but I like what I make.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:36:51 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
That's a great video Tex!

Couple thoughts; the 90sec. extraction period would've been a great time to tell some jokes about northerners in general, or Milo.  You don't look at all like someone who would purloin a Sonofresco. 

;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
That's a great video Tex!

Couple thoughts; the 90sec. extraction period would've been a great time to tell some jokes about northerners in general, or Milo.  You don't look at all like someone who would purloin a Sonofresco.  

;D
Thanks Peter, but what it needs is someone signing in a small window.

I tried to get Mrs T to step in & tell some of her German jokes, but seeing as how they have no sense of humor that translates to English, it would've been a disaster. Maybe next time I'll put one of my cats up there to do some tricks?