Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73637 times)

RobertL

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
This mornings brew was much better! I went with 40 grams and turned the flame down very low as the water was going up top. Two minute steep time and about ninety seconds to drain. I never got the whoosh when draining I think I stirred too much or my grind was to fine. But the coffee was great, todays brew was a blend of left overs from my last roasts. 28g Romance Blend, 6g El Sal Orange Bourbon and 6g Brazil Organic Fazenda Colina

BoldJava

« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
... But the coffee was great, todays brew was ...

Welcome to the Club's club.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
This mornings brew was much better! I went with 40 grams and turned the flame down very low as the water was going up top. Two minute steep time and about ninety seconds to drain. I never got the whoosh when draining I think I stirred too much or my grind was to fine. But the coffee was great, todays brew was a blend of left overs from my last roasts. 28g Romance Blend, 6g El Sal Orange Bourbon and 6g Brazil Organic Fazenda Colina

If I know it's going into vac pots only, I'll shoot for a City+ roast to minimize any bitterness. I've found that roast level is critical for vac pots, more so than any other method.

RobertL

« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I roasted some El Sal San Juan Bosco from Klatch Yesterday to a nice city+. When its ready I'll give it a try in the vac pot.

BoldJava

« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2011, 04:11:26 AM »
For those of you who have yet to "come over" to the vacpot.  Why we have fallen for the vacpot is presented here.  He calls the YouTube, "An Afternoon Meditation..."

Afternoon Coffee Meditation with the Yama Siphon

BoldJava

« Reply #470 on: December 20, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
Never have stalls. Ever.  Had one today and haven't a clue what caused it.  Regardless, despite attempts at gentle wiggles, the rod wasn't going to budge so I just left it alone on a cool back burner. The <<bad boy>> was locked. Two hours later, it was half drawn down.  Came home from work and it was all down, drained.

Moral of the story?  Avoid implosions.  Leave the pot alone.

BoldJava

« Reply #471 on: December 21, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
It's those B|Poocher dark roasts that stall 'em every time ::)

FC JBM.  The rod was really dancing when I put it in -- impatience on my part creted the dilemma.  I own that. 

B|Java

chef glenn

« Reply #472 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone!
Been awhile..saw the vacpot thread and thought why not?
I am interested in buying a couple vacpots or top peices, the last
3 out of 4 on the "bay came smashed, got refunded on one but the other two..
who knows? So anyone here have anything they want to move along? (BJ or anyone else?)
Thanks Chef (Retired!) Glenn

BoldJava

« Reply #473 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone!
Been awhile..saw the vacpot thread and thought why not?
I am interested in buying a couple vacpots or top peices, the last
3 out of 4 on the "bay came smashed, got refunded on one but the other two..
who knows? So anyone here have anything they want to move along? (BJ or anyone else?)
Thanks Chef (Retired!) Glenn

Let me scour the basement this afternoon.  I keep the Yamas (5- and 8-cups) busy in the daily lineup.

RobertL

« Reply #474 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
If B|Java doesn't have what you are looking for check Orphan Espresso they sell parts for vintage vac pots. If you don't find the parts you are looking for they also sell new Yama 5 cups for $28.50 not a bad price at all.

BoldJava

« Reply #475 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
If B|Java doesn't have what you are looking for check Orphan Espresso they sell parts for vintage vac pots. If you don't find the parts you are looking for they also sell new Yama 5 cups for $28.50 not a bad price at all.

I only have the vintage unused Cory pot that I don't want to part with -- I would suggest a new Yama.  Grab a glass rod and you are golden.

B|Java

RobertL

« Reply #476 on: January 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
While we are talking vac pots has anyone tried one of these filters from OE?

jspain

« Reply #477 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

I only have the vintage unused Cory pot that I don't want to part with -- I would suggest a new Yama.  Grab a glass rod and you are golden.

B|Java

I have a couple extra cory rods if anyone nees one...... my cost,  jim

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #478 on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Friend gave me a Silex to add to the collection.  Silex Lox-in rod was mine already and works a treat.  Had a gasket leak between the funnel and gasket, would Dow 111 work to seal this?  Gasket looks fine.

Check Orphan...I recall at some point Doug had some replacment rubber gaskets. Dunno about 111.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #479 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
Anyone have a spare glass rod that will work with the Yama cnt-5?