Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73599 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #540 on: November 08, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
I saw the Pebo too... $25, what a bargain...  and I popped out their spring-loaded filter to look at the neck of the upper globe.  It would be hard to say just by looking, but my guess is that a glass rod would work fine.  That said, it won't hurt to use it as is and get a feel for it the way it's designed, and then try a rod.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Dipping my toes in the vacpot pool, took advantage of the Bodum and JC Penney's divorce resulting
in 70% reduction of retail pricing.  I just purchased the newest iterration of the Bodum Santos, renamed the
Bodum Pebo.  At least that's what I have been able to find.  I am interested in anyone's reviews of the Santos/Pebo,
and if you have switched out the plastic filter for a glass rod, and if yes, what make and or model of glass rod.
I'm sure Peter and B|Java will answer all your questions. I have enjoyed a vac pot EVERY day since they got my issues resolved (except when traveling). The coffee from both the Yama 5 cup / 8 cup rarely disappoints. When it does, it is because I messed up - let the temps get too high.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:14:23 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
I'm sure Peter and B|Java will answer all your questions. I have enjoyed a vac pot EVERY day since they got my issues resolved (except when traveling). The coffee from both the Yama 5 cup / 8 cup rarely disappoints. When it does, it is because I messed up, let the temps get too high.

No, Rich asked me yesterday and I suggested he post back here.  I have never used a Bodum vacpot.  I grabbed two off JCP but will be eBay'ing them when the current glut thins so I don't want to run a pot of coffee thru it.  After lunch I will open one up and see how the variety of rods fit.

B|Java

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »
Ok ! That is why when I checked JCP there were no vacpots left for sale.  :(

pShoe

« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
The Pebo makes great coffee, but it's missing the clarity I'm looking for. I have a cloth filter assembly on the way. I hope it eliminates the small amount of fines the plastic filter lets through.

I'm also working on a stand, so I can use a butane burner. It needs some work.

pShoe

« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
I'm planning on storing the cloth filter like my nel drip (in a bag stored in the fridge), but wanted to get the general storing procedure from some of you guys. BTW, no fines in the bottom of the cup using the cloth filter, success.

So how do you store your cloth filter and do you take it off the assembly when storing it?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:26:24 AM by pShoe »

jspain

« Reply #546 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:39 AM »
I prefer the cory rod. I believe it results in superior flavor in the cup. However if you stick with the cloth filter there is nothing wrong with leaving the filter on the assembly.

BoldJava

« Reply #547 on: November 13, 2013, 04:59:52 AM »
I'm planning on storing the cloth filter like my nel drip (in a bag stored in the fridge), but wanted to get the general storing procedure from some of you guys. . .

Like Jim, I use the glass rods.  I think I used the cloth for two cycles and tossed it.  Your refrig approach is the most common approach I read from those who use cloth.

pShoe

« Reply #548 on: November 13, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »
I have a few cloths. It was a noticeable improvement from the plastic filter. I'll have to revisit the glass filter option when I'm on my last cloth filter. Thanks!

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
I'm sure Peter and B|Java will answer all your questions. I have enjoyed a vac pot EVERY day since they got my issues resolved (except when traveling). The coffee from both the Yama 5 cup / 8 cup rarely disappoints. When it does, it is because I messed up, let the temps get too high.

No, Rich asked me yesterday and I suggested he post back here.  I have never used a Bodum vacpot.  I grabbed two off JCP but will be eBay'ing them when the current glut thins so I don't want to run a pot of coffee thru it.  After lunch I will open one up and see how the variety of rods fit.

B|Java

Well, inquiring minds want to know.  Were you able to test fit your inventory of glass rods? 
Was there one you felt was a better fit for the Pebo?  Do you have enough of an inventory to sell one or two?

Buehler?  Buehler?

BoldJava

« Reply #550 on: December 04, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »

... After lunch I will open one up and see how the variety of rods fit.

B|Java

Well, inquiring minds want to know.  Were you able to test fit your inventory of glass rods? 
Was there one you felt was a better fit for the Pebo?  Do you have enough of an inventory to sell one or two?

Buehler?  Buehler?

Long lunch, what can I tell you.  Retirement is a leisurely approach to food.

Thanks for reminder.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:48:42 AM by BoldJava »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #551 on: December 04, 2013, 07:10:34 AM »
I attempted the Yama last weekend but I got a bitter cup. So, it looks like I need to refine my technique some more.

I measured the temp of the water up top and it was around 204F but the water seemed to take longer to be pulled south. I may try with the cloth filter instead of the glass rod to see if it changes anything.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #552 on: December 04, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Wow - I never saw my water above 195 in the top bowl before. I'm pretty sure the rare "off" vac pots I've had occur when I let the water get too hot.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #553 on: December 04, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
I use around 198.*  Best is 195-205.*

http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/1thebasics.html

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #554 on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
So, in these two attempts I tried two different methods to get the water to top and get it to the right temperature. Turning down the heat gradually to lower the speed at which it traveled upward and letting it move upward and letting it coast down in temperature. I wanted to hover around the 205 according to the thermometer when the flame was set just low enough to maintain the pressure.

How do you control the temperature in a vac pot?