Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73499 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »
[
Nope, I just saw a Cory pot on ebay with this kind of rod.  I would post the link, but it's too long.

If you have a link that is to long to post, try using Tiny URL.
Well, now I see how to use the URL button, so here is the raw link, and here is the TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/6s69u2

No, that is not the filter I posted.  That appears to be similar to a Silex with the metal base.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »
BoldJava is correct. It's the Silex Lox-In glass filter, my new favorite vac pot filter. It lets fewer fines through than my Cory rod does, it does not "bounce" like the Cory, and since it locks into the funnel like the cloth filter, you don't really have to be that careful when stirring the slurry. If you bump a Cory rod while stirring it can let a clump of grounds through.

Here's a close-up:

BoldJava

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2008, 08:12:24 AM »
OK, this rod came along with a bunch I bought.  Who made this one?

B|Java

I ran tap water thru the North globe with filter in, trying it both ways (one end is shorter than the other).  Water does seep thru.  My next step is to try it by boiling water on the stove, dropping the North globe and unknown filter on and see if water migrates north.  Think I will do this once my shipment arrives in case we have an <throat clears> accident.

Boom!

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 08:14:53 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
...My next step is to try it by boiling water on the stove, dropping the North globe and unknown filter on and see if water migrates north.  Think I will do this once my shipment arrives in case we have an <throat clears> accident.

Boom!

B|Java

No boom.  Curiosity got the best of me.  Worked beautifully, sipping a Sulawesi from it.  Two minute steep, just a tad of bouncing that can be heated regulated better next time.  A winner.

I am on a quest to figure out who made it and what year.  I do not believe it is a Cory, a Corning, or a Silex.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
Same experience with the cory rods (no stalls).  Part of that is improved technique--pulling back on the heat as the final water heads north.  Also, I started adding the coffee after all the water's up north, (mainly for taste--I think the temperature is more even then) which keeps the grounds away from the filter on the upward "whoosh".

This is identical to my experience.  No stalls, no bounce.  How?

^  Back off on the heat as the water heads north (this is earlier than I had been turning it down)
^  Add the coffee after all the water is north.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
No boom.  Curiosity got the best of me.  Worked beautifully, sipping a Sulawesi from it.  Two minute steep, just a tad of bouncing that can be heated regulated better next time.  A winner.

I am on a quest to figure out who made it and what year.  I do not believe it is a Cory, a Corning, or a Silex.

B|Java

It is a Polan, made in the late `40's by Polan Industries in Huntington, West Virginia.  Had a note from Brian Harris and here is a copy from his archives.  Mystery solved.

Not selling this one.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:49:41 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:43 AM »
Here is a little history on the vacpot for those who want to know the physics behind them... and history
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:58:10 PM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2008, 04:01:50 AM »
Corning rods - are out there as well.  5 ", smaller, but function perfectly.  You will see them listed as GE as well, but made by Corning.  Used first one this morning.  Weighs 50 gram while the Cory weighs 67 grams.  Rounded top, rather than the 4-pointed crown on a Cory.  Has 4 bubble protrusions on the middle of it to prevent it from rolling off the counter.

Patent is from 1933; unsure of the year of production.

B|Java

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:21:58 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »
This week, I roasted some Java Pancoer and some Yemen.  I cupped it from the Yama and had high expectations.  Was disappointed as it was virtually flat, lacking in body.  I cupped it again this afternoon in a gold filter/chemex pourover and it was excellent.

Interesting how just a few coffees fade in the vacuum pot when most of them step up and shine.

B|Java

jspain

« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »
Dave and others joining in the thread,
I know I have shared my story and you know I've roasted many years and enjoyed a quality cup for all those years but I wanted to add today that in all those 15 plus years the vac pot is the one thing that has made a giant leap in my love of coffee and all about it! B/J sold me my first vac pot a couple months ago and that brewing method has jolted me with the difference in the cup more than anything I have every experienced. I just roasted a batch of Santa Maria 48 hours ago and yesterday had a drip out of the technivorn and it was good, but this morning I vac potted a 5 cupper three times and NO COMPARISON! The vac RULES! The difference in the vac pot and all other methods I've ever tried is not comparable. Thanks Dave for the "Turn On!"
Now about your experience this morning, I've yet to have any variety be better in the drip over the Vac?????? I guess I'm just chatting to share my love for the vac and I'm looking to see if anyone has had your experience? Not me yet!  ;D Jim

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
Well, I finally scored a Silex vac pot with the Silex Lox-in glass filter.  I first tried the Lox-in on my Hario 3-cup, and it stalled.  The next time, I backed the grind from 1 to 2 on my Flying Eagle grinder, and it came down just fine.  The cup was richer than with the cloth filter.
Yesterday, I tried the 8-cup Silex stove-top, and assured my wife that the glass pot would not shatter on the stove (I was gritting my teeth the whole way).  As the water went up the tube, the top bowl popped out of the rubber gasket!!!  I pushed it back on and finished the brew.  When I took it off the stove and the coffee went back down, I tried to remove the top bowl, and, yes, the gasket stayed firmly in the lower pot.  I had to wait a few minutes for the coffee to cool enough to get my hand in and pull the gasket out.
So, here is the question:  How can I afix the gasket to the upper bowl?  Food-safe super-glue?  Nah...  Will it just stick to the upper bowl the longer I use it, or stick less to the lower pot?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

kuban111

« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
Hola Yasbean,

I happen to have one of those combos in my collection and maybe I can help.

I don't understand your problem with taking the top globe off, but if you can post a video or pic of your routine that would clear things up.
There is a cool way to simply getting the top globe off without taking the gasket off. But it would help me to see how you are removing the top off.

Also the Silex Vac pot is ok on direct flame but you?re going to need a wire diffuser thing if you've got an electric stove.
It?s also ok & safe to do the cold towel method with the Silex pot to speed up the draw process from north to south. I haven?t had a problem with glass chattering doing this for a year now.

BTW- Since I know you are a Hario fan like myself you might like to know that the guy's from the Barismo blog are now selling some Hario stuff in the U.S.

Let me know if I can help. ;D

Michael.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2008, 09:34:29 AM »
I guess I am not doing anything special.  Just as with a Hario table-top, I wait for the water to come to a near boil, then plop the top bowl down.  The problem is that the gasket seems to stay in the mouth of the pot more firmly than on the top bowl.  I will post a video in a few days, if this does not clarify.  How do you do things?

Why would I need a diffuser?  It seems to work just fine, although I did it only once.  I will have to work with the heat/timing, though.  (I sure do miss my gas stove!)  I think that, once we get settled in the new place and I unpack everything, I may just use my rack with alcohol jet/butane burner and do Silex on the table.  I just don't really like working coffee magic on a stove.

I have not heard of Barimo.  I will have to look for it.  I replaced my Hario tops at Avenue18 in Vancouver.  Great guys!  Again, getting used to this temporary kitchen has extracted a high price! 
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

kuban111

« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »
Hola Yasbean,

I found myself using my Pyrex  Vac pot today I know that it's not the Silex but I figure I'll post some photos of how I get the top globe of from the bottom.

Hope this helps for now.

It's all in the thumb action.

(diffuser)....I wasn't clear on what kind of stove , (electric or gas) you were using so that's why I wrote about the burner wire grid just in case.

BTW Senor B. Java that's the new glass rod that I got from you. I haven't tried it on the Hario V pot yet put I'm sure it will work out fine.

Thank You. :)

Michael

This is a the link for barismo
http://barismo.com/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:44:14 PM by kuban111 »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:46 PM »
There is a thread over at CG that shows how to use part of the Hario cloth filter mechanism (minus the cloth filter) and a piece cut from Swiss Gold filter to make a vac pot filter. I wouldn't waste a perfectly good Swiss Gold filter but it's still a neat design.

The thread also linked to this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9dYEbM8nMg[/youtube]

Another video with the coffee being brewed in a coffee shop, at the table (someone asked about this):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyLC-eJatGQ[/youtube]

One last video that would help the newbie vac pot user:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOCKbEj-vQ&feature=related
[/youtube]

I can say one thing: those table top butane burners make the water head north quick, fast, and in a hurry. I know that I normally use an 8 pot brewer with more water, but it takes much longer for my water to make it into the top section when brewed on the stove. I may have to rig up my Snow Peak backpacking stove and use it as a burner.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:25:17 PM by headchange4u »