Author Topic: Full - Traveling Road Show: Orphan Espresso - Hand Grinder, OE LIDO  (Read 36370 times)

juker

Re: Full - Traveling Road Show: Orphan Espresso - Hand Grinder, OE LIDO
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »

Remember to always use the left hand rule for electron flow and the right hand rule for hole flow and you'll be fine.

Sure, unless you have two left hands... ;)

BoldJava

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2012, 06:01:48 AM »
Accessories.  Looks like a solder brush and a rubber strip.  The strip really comes in handy.  Use it as a landing/grounding strip, lean the grinder at a 70* angle and crank.

Note:  Guess the rubber strip is supposed to double as a way to grab and hold the shaft while unscrewing the handle.  Trust you will have more luck with that as Ray did than I had.

Ray T

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
Accessories.  Looks like a solder brush and a rubber strip.  The strip really comes in handy.  Use it as a landing/grounding strip, lean the grinder at a 70* angle and crank.

Note:  Guess the rubber strip is supposed to double as a way to grab and hold the shaft while unscrewing the handle.  Trust you will have more luck with that as Ray did than I had.

I had to use a soft cloth and vice grips to remove the handle before shipping to Yakster, I think the problem is the handle is aluminum, the threads in it are very rough feeling as you assemble it, also it needs a spacer to tighten up against instead of just bottoming out on the threads (about a 1/16" gap when tight).

Must have worked loose in shipping it to me Dave, no way other than tools to get it off.  Still a KEEPER

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Order soon, the waiting list may be longer than you expect. I was hoping mine would ship this week.

jbviau

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
This is becoming one well-traveled grinder! Wish I could join you at SCAA. Speaking of, here's an idea: maybe Doug and Barb could autograph the LIDO (or the bag)? ;) IIRC they're planning on attending.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
Chris, thanks for the review.  I also use a Kyocera CM-45 when I travel, so the comparison was especially helpful.  Vario is my home espresso grinder, so I am looking forward to your next review as well.  I think it getting harder to resist buying the Lido.

BoldJava

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:20 AM »
Let me see if I have the order correct, with changes agreed to by the parties.  This permits the GCBC Portland contingency to play with the LIDO.  After Portland, Larry (Milo) will ship to HC4U.

1. BoldJava
3. Ray T, paid
4. Yakster, paid
8. Milowebailey, paid
5. HeadChange4U, paid
6. JDibble/ScareYourPassenger, paid purchased one
7. John_F, paid
9. Ron L, paid
10. JasonG, paid
-----
2. JBViau, paid  (winner)

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
Bah, First week of April has passed and my grinder is still on hold. If you are thinking about ordering one then do it quick because I have a feeling the waiting list is quite long.

BoldJava

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:23 AM »
This is good news.  It suggests that the LIDO can manage espresso.  Thanks Chris.

Having used the LIDO, I would think it would be difficult to make micro changes on it as you could with a stepless.  My guess (and that is all it is) is that incremental changes would be more similar to using my stepped Macap. I am really impressed with the LIDO for those that want a lifetime hand grinder.  While pricey, it is a good value if you are in this for the long-term.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 06:10:57 AM »
FYI, they will be shipping grinders this weekend. It sounds like they are running into some parts availability issues.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
Prototype Lido gripper knob from the Will the modder; for tool less handle removal.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:45:07 AM by hankua »

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
I can attest, the dosing funnel is great and weighs an even 10 grams so you don't have to re-tare. I just had the Rwanda this evening and it really is a great shot after 4 days rest. I have an issue where I wait too long because i like to savor it and once it cools the shot tastes too bright:(

BoldJava

« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »
...I would want a knurled nut on the shaft to make removing the handle easier (though I really just have been leaving the handle on) and I would also now want a 53 mm OE dosing funnel or yogurt container to make it easier to dose the coffee from the jar into the basket without making a mess.

The OE dosing funnel is indispensable for me, using a doserless Macap.  Perfect product, coupled with a dissecting needle.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
I got my Lido yesterday. I am still getting it dialed into where I like for use in the Technivorm. It really is frustrating the handle can't be adjusted more easily. I decided to try a bit of teflon tape to see if it would work itself into the touch cut threads of the handle. It seems to work so far and I can unthread it by hand without tools. I will have to keep checking it and see if the solution holds up.

Mine had a bit of burr rub so I may attempt to re align it once I have a free moment.

milowebailey

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
I've used the Lido 3 days at work for pourovers and comparing it to the Pharos, my Trosser hand grinder, my grindripper and my hario I have to say the Lido rules. 

1) It grinds very consistently
2) It grinds fast
3) easy to clean
4) Easy to hold onto

Who gets it next?  PM me with an address.