Author Topic: Closed: 2 units, LIDO-2,Traveling Road Show  (Read 39238 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Re: Closed: 2 units, LIDO-2,Traveling Road Show
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
I last sent it to Todd (ecc).
LMWDP #440

ecc

« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
Yup, sitting here in Corntown.  Mostly will be comparing it to version 1, which I liked a    lot.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
Is anyone out there able to compare it to the Hario MSS-1 Mini Mill?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »
Is anyone out there able to compare it to the Hario MSS-1 Mini Mill?

I assume that the Hario mini mill and the Skerton have the same burr set (though the mini mill is spring loaded).   

I have the Skerton and the Lido2.  There is no comparison in the grind quality.  The Skerton is very inconsistent in the grind size.  The Lido2 is much more consistent.  It is a case of getting just what you wish to pay.

Bassguy

« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
I'll echo that. I have a mini mill and whatever improvement there is from lido to lido 2 is miles away from the hario. Good if it's all you have, but rarely thought about with OE gear around.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Ok, so I just did a 14 gram / 225 gram batch of my Guatemala Acatenango Gesha in a little V60-01, ground on the Lido 2 at 18 notches out or 1-2 (1 revolution 2 notches) and poured over with my Tiamo pouring pitcher using just the hot water tap from the cooler with a 30 second bloom and 2:30 subsequent pour and this is a great cup. 

I'm celebrating the maintenance window being over, I get to shut down and go home.

I'm really liking this grinder.

Chris, do you think the Lido 2 is much of an improvement over the Kyocera CM-45? I'm using a Kyocera CM-45 when I'm travelling, and it only sees pourover use.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
Yes, traveling is when I use my Mini Mill, because it is small and light.  I have now moved it into my office when not traveling, but I do mostly impromptu pour overs with a Hario perma-filter.  Perhaps a Lido would make office coffee more enjoyable.  Hmm..

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Closed: 2 units, LIDO-2,Traveling Road Show
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »
So, I ground up some coffee for FP today in my lovely little mini mill.  Hmmmm, something is missing in the cup.   Maybe the Lido2 at work ain't such a bad idea.......
LMWDP #440

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
I consider the Lido 2 a significant improvement over the Kyocera CM-45 CF.  With the CM-45 CF, I get boulders when grinding for pour-over and when I try and use it for espresso the step size is too large to easily dial in, you go from too fast a flow at one setting and choking it at the next unless you mod your CM-45 CF or also vary the dose to compensate for the lack of granularity in grinds adjustment.

The Lido 2 grinds are much more consistent and the stepless grind size adjustment has a much more gradual adjustment, so a small move in the setting doesn't make such a large grind size change.

Thanks Chris, that's kinda what I expected.

I just finished taking a closer look at the grinder and based on the size https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgSltkPeT98 I don't think I would want to be travelling with the Lido 2 vs. the Kyocera. If I didn't own the Kyocera I would likely get the Lido 2, but with two Vario's on the kitchen counter I don't need a third grinder for the house.

BoldJava

« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
... I don't think I would want to be travelling with the Lido 2 ...

Great grinder but tall and 3.5#s.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Now, how come when I used it to grind 14g for espresso it took 3 times as long?   
LMWDP #440

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
... I don't think I would want to be travelling with the Lido 2 ...

Great grinder but tall and 3.5#s.
Yup, that is a counter grinder, and not a travel grinder.  Thank you for the comparison info!

ecc

« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
Shoot, I got held up in a meeting and will miss the post office cut off today.

Larry, I promise it will be in the mail to you tomorrow.

My impression?  I love the old version, and think I will stick to it. 

The new version is a little heavier, and doesn't seem to turn as comfortably as the version 1 did.  I do love the lack of shaking needed to feed the beans in, and the more aesthetic design is a big improvement in looks.  I thought the cruddy plastic on v1 made the catch jar slightly easier to lineup and screw on.  The adjustment ring is a huge improvement, but it was easy at first to mess up the setting unscrewing the wrong section trying to get the catch off.

I could get used to the new version without a problem, but don't see enough advantages of the clunky old version to upgrade.

PS: Thanks for the beans, sosha!  A nice fruity medium roast, they went through the Lido and into a pour-over nicely, and made a few bright shots for me as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:19:56 PM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
And a pic (maybe)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:13:48 PM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »