Author Topic: Swissmar Alpenröast  (Read 4849 times)

milowebailey

Re: Swissmar Alpenröast
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
MP

I remember there are adjustments that can be made on the alp... mine never needed them, but yours may

Hi Adam,
I answered this question for Bob Trancho on the Homeroast list,it's in the digest version, Vol 1 #1080 45 messages, Message:45. Subject: +Alp adjustments/cleaning?
I c,c,& pasted a few of my answers to his question  below...

I gave detailed instructions on how to adjust the roast time frame window on an Alp, (even without a volt/ohm meter), but you are some what limited without one!  Before you start, do you have a multi-meter? (volt-ohm meter), you can't properly adjust the roaster without one, & do you have the earlier Version 1.0, or the newer model, Version 1.1? 1.1 has a white sticker on the bottom of the roaster.  To open up the Alp, lay the Alp down on it's back, hinges on the table. You'll need a security torx bit(T-10) to take the panel off to access the printed circuit board. Also needed is a 5/64" hex key to adjust Vr1(variable resistor, potentiometer). Vr1 is the 2nd hole, center right hand side of the board.

The Vr is 1000 ohm,*DO NOT PLUG IN*, take a resistance measurement from the center terminal point & the bottom point on the PCB printed circuit board.Lower resistance, higher current to the heater P=E x I  (P=E squared divided by R, resistance). On my Alp resistance is 578 ohms, they're different because of manufacturing tolerances/variables in electronic components, heating elements,etc.

The potentiometer Vr1 adjusts through an arc of about 270 degrees, 0 ohms to 1000 ohms. You'll be adjusting counterclockwise & the pot is very sensitive to adjustments,so you'll have to make SMALL adjustments, like the #'s on a clock face. When the hex key is in the pot hole, wherever the key is pointing to (example 10:00am), move the key counterclockwise,to 9:30am,9:00am,etc. Assemble the Alp & test the roast time with a test roast. That's the best you'll be able to do without a multimeter,borrow one or buy one, they can be fairly cheap, & this way you won't waste green by making unknown adjustments. You may get lucky & hit it spot on with the procedure I've just described though!  {:-D

Roast time frame window start & end times, #'s 1-15, starts at 16.35 mins & increases incredimentally every 15 secs per #, to 20.05 mins. Get a timer/stopwatch & time a roast. Adjust the roast window to the middle of the roast time frame window,to #8 approx 18.20 mins for start of 2nd crack. This isn't chisled in stone..., you can adjust the window for start of 2nd hotter or cooler, to your own personal preference.{:-)

I personally adjust the roast time frame setting at approximately the middle of this window, #8 (18.20 mins),(the factory setting) for the start of 2nd crack.
One unit I was working on,1st crack was at 10.45 mins & 2nd at 13.00 mins, a 28% shorter roast cycle.

*P.S.* (I've added this in) --> If your roast is at say #15 (20.05 mins),& you want to adjust to roast time frame window #8 (18.20 mins),in secs this is 1,205 & 1,100. 1100 divided by 1205 = .913, 91.3%. 100% -91.3% =8.7%. Vr1 does not adjust in a linear fasion so I call it approx 10% . Whatever your resistance measurement on Vr1 is you'll bring the resistance down counterclock wise this 10%, say
from 900 ohms - 10% or 810, 800 ohms. 2nd crack should now be within #8 (18.20 mins). The difference between #8 to #12 is exactly +1 min,[4,15 sec roast #'s.(60 secs)], & 8 to #4 is exactly -1 min,[4,15 sec roast #'s.(60 secs)]. As you can see, adjustment is very sensitive/finicky to adjust to the stock roast time frame window #8. All the Alps I worked on could be brought back to factory spec (#8).
The condition of some of these roasters were beyond belief... burnt black inside,
{:-O  no cleaning whatsoever, & they were brought back to a "factory refurbished" level for resale. I had no scorching or tipping of the control bean I'm using, Swissmar's Columbian Estate (not estate by the way!!) This machine was roasting very hot & was adjusted accordingly to the proper time frame roast window (#8).

I'm doing repair & service refurbishing work as an interm off premises sub-contractor for (Canada) Swissmar (Swissmar Imports Ltd) 35 East Beaver Creek Rd., Unit 6  Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada L4B 1B3  1-(905)-764-1121. The(USA) Swissmar Imports Inc  6391 Walmore Road Niagara Falls, NY. 14304 1-87-SWISSMAR (1-877-947-7627) warehouse is where all the US roasters are shipped to for warranty work/replacement. All the roasters are then shipped to the Canadian address. Believe you/me, there's enough of them! Heat is regulated by a thermocouple attached to the heating element, proper adjustment of potentiometer/variable resistor (Vr1),& by the ambient air temperature correction sensor on Ver 1.1.

The thermocouple is spotwelded to the left front section of the heating element, under the stainless retaining clamp & has no bearing on being defective, or gunked up with dust/chaff/goo and limiting the roast somehow. The heating element,if viewed in a darked room, will *GLOW* orange & all particulate matter is burned off. The thermal fuse & thermostat are also not affected by particulate matter.You say you keep it clean, is the stainless reflector on the lid, inside the roast chamber clean & shiny? The Alp relys on & needs these reflective surfaces to help it roast evenly & consistently. The Alp is also weight sensitive..., are you weighing 8oz roasts to 225-227 grams?

CraigA is a moderator on coffeegeek... contact him if you are unsure what to do.

milowebailey

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 08:46:54 AM »
More on the adjustment

Vr1 is adjusting the heating element hotter so roasting is faster/quicker, & you use a lower roast time frame #.
Lower resistance, higher current to the heater P=E x I  (P=E squared divided by R, resistance), shorter roast time (hotter element) i.e. a lower roast # on the timer. Higher resistance, less current., longer roast time (cooler element), your roast #15.

I can make an Alp roast as fast as 13 minutes for start of 2nd crack,

here is the thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/6348?LastView=1280331169&Page=4

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »
Thanks Larry ... I'll let the taste be my guide.

I'll see what the beans taste like before I attempt any hack on it.

So far so good. 

I'm giving it a thorough cleaning right now.  Taking all the oils off the metal inside and then going to blow it with a fan in the back yard.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2010, 05:58:46 AM »
MP

I did still have the manual for the Alp... I scanned it in this morning.  Even in French for you canooks ;D

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:35:17 AM by milowebailey »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »
MP

I did still have the manual for the Alp... I scanned it in the morning.  Even in French for you canooks ;D

Larry ... you are a gentleman, scholar, and a friend.

:wav:
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:27 AM »
So what is the update on the Alpenrost?  How is it working?  Did you get some other coffee for it other than the 10 year old vacuum-packed stuff? 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
So what is the update on the Alpenrost?  How is it working?  Did you get some other coffee for it other than the 10 year old vacuum-packed stuff? 

I must admit the Alpenrost works very well.  The coffee that came with it I did not prefer at their recommended 10 setting ... too close to a Charbucks roast.  I tried it at a 4 setting and it is very good (seen first crack but does not get to second).  It is especially good for caps.

The roaster provides a nice even roast and being a drum roaster it is great for espresso as the beans taste sweeter.  One roast on the Alpenrost is equivalent to 3 roasts on the Freshroast +8. The beans always have a nice shine to them.  I am surprised at how quiet it is being a drum roaster. 

I do still have a great stash from buying beans here and other places.

I will have to say that it is the best $100 I have spent on coffee related gear and the the 18 pounds of coffee thrown in I am very pleased with this transaction.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »
I know that I will never go back from a drum roast. 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 05:31:17 AM »
I know that I will never go back from a drum roast. 

For sure ... once you go down the drum rabbit hole ... you never go back!

:o
lp, 7-Ski