Author Topic: Roto Roaster on eBay  (Read 979 times)

Tex

Re: Roto Roaster on eBay
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
Well, it's in Canada, so I'm naturally skeptical of the items legitimacy. ;D

But for that price what can you lose? If nothing else you can relist it on eBay, knowing that some sucker buyer wants it. :-X

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
That seems to be the same roasting process that my Alpenrost uses.  The roasts are very good on the Alpenrost ... and if it is similar you will not be disappointed ... especially for that price IMHO.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

dcmusichound

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »
Reminds me of roto-rooter. I'm guessing there is no fan and so no cooling component. That would have to happen after the beans were removed.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
Reminds me of roto-rooter. I'm guessing there is no fan and so no cooling component. That would have to happen after the beans were removed.

The Alpenrost does have a cool down function however I put them in steel pans after to bring them to room temperature really fast and thereby stopping the roast.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
There is a thread on this very item on CoffeeGeek right now. The consensus is that it is a waste of money. It does not have sufficient energy to roast coffee.  Lots of bad feedback about it as a coffee roaster on other eBay listings, including a description of taking over 75 minutes to roast a small amount of coffee.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
That's pretty cheap...  I'm tempted to grab one just to see how poorly it really functions.  It doesn't appear to have the cojones to roast coffee, but I bet it would work for okay for garlic...   If I try it out I could add it to the list of other crappy roasters I regularly disparage... 

As for cooling, with any roaster I am going to remove the beans immediately and cool them externally so the cool-down time is not dependent on cooling the roaster as well.  Of course I'd be running any recommended cooling cycle on the roaster, but without the beans present.

Tex

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
There is a thread on this very item on CoffeeGeek right now. The consensus is that it is a waste of money. It does not have sufficient energy to roast coffee.  Lots of bad feedback about it as a coffee roaster on other eBay listings, including a description of taking over 75 minutes to roast a small amount of coffee.

If the only problem is an under-powered heat source, then get the roaster! That's the easiest and cheapest thing to fix.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
That's pretty cheap...  I'm tempted to grab one just to see how poorly it really functions.  It doesn't appear to have the cojones to roast coffee, but I bet it would work for okay for garlic...   If I try it out I could add it to the list of other crappy roasters I regularly disparage... 

As for cooling, with any roaster I am going to remove the beans immediately and cool them externally so the cool-down time is not dependent on cooling the roaster as well.  Of course I'd be running any recommended cooling cycle on the roaster, but without the beans present.

Think Hatch chilies!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »

If the only problem is an under-powered heat source, then get the roaster! That's the easiest and cheapest thing to fix.

If I recall correctly, this unit is only 500 watts.  Upping the heat source within the existing configuration has quite the chance of everything bursting into flame, I'll bet.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA