Author Topic: Baratza Precisio...  (Read 1127 times)

BoldJava

Baratza Precisio...
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:41:36 PM »
takes the Virtuosa (40 pre-sets) and offers 11 micro-settings within each of those 40.  It will be interesting to see if it gets any traction in the 'presso community.  $279 at Clive Coffee.  Orphan Espresso gave it a thumbs up over at H=B.

From Baratza:

"Virtuoso Preciso
The Baratza Virtuoso Preciso will be available at Baratza resellers in limited supply September 29, 2010. Additional stock will be available the end of October.

Based on our most popular grinder, the Preciso adds extra precision and control to the great basic features of the Virtuoso. It retains the 40 grind adjustment steps of the Virtuoso, but a second micro adjustment lever further divides each of the 40 steps into 11 distinct settings. Smaller steps means you have more control over your espresso grind, enabling you to pull that perfect shot..."

Tex

Re: Baratza Precisio...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
I wonder if the Preciso does away with the plastic burr carriers?

tpijag

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
by kyle anderson on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Preciso burr carrier:

The Preciso burr carrier is made of the same fiberglass-reinforced injection molded thermal plastic as the Virtuoso burr carrier. This burr carrier sits on a three-point support for precise positioning. We have found the rigidity, stability and durability of this material to equal any cast metal alternatives. Please let me know if there are any further questions about this material or any other construction issues with the Preciso or Virtuoso.
Regards,
Kyle
www.baratza.com
kyle anderson

From thread here: http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/new-baratza-grinder-virtuoso-preciso-275-t12622.html

terry
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:11:56 PM by tpijag »

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
I wonder if Virtuoso owners could order a few Precisio 'replacement parts' to cook up an upgrade kit.

-Phil

Pyment

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »
Maybe B/mazzer will get one as an upgrade over his?

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »

Over a MACAP 4?  Not.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »

Over a MACAP 4?  Not.

B|Java

I actually don't understand the lure of the Preciso.  Realizing everyone's budgets are different, if I was looking for an espresso grinder and going to spend that kind of money I'd rather save up for new Macap or Compak, or go the used/replace burrs route.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »

Over a MACAP 4?  Not.

B|Java

I actually don't understand the lure of the Preciso.  Realizing everyone's budgets are different, if I was looking for an espresso grinder and going to spend that kind of money I'd rather save up for new Macap or Compak, or go the used/replace burrs route.

+1

If I didn't already have the last grinder I'll own, the Preciso & Vario would be a step in the right direction, but they'd never be the IT grinder for me.

GC7

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »

Over a MACAP 4?  Not.

B|Java

+2  I love my Virtuoso for brewed coffee. It produces a nice uniform grind at brew settings as seen under a microscope.  However, it fails with espresso for more then one reason.  It will never hold a candle to my Compak.

I also don't see the love affair with the Vario for espresso.  I will bet that they may start strong as far as grind quality but will break down in the long run.  Too much electronics for a machine of that build quality (or lack of build quality).

ecc

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
I know I shouldn't go here, but I have a Vario, the thing is super convenient; me using a commercial espresso grinder would be like using a panel truck to commute to an office job.

Lack of a doser and a short clean output path makes things a lot easier, (like weight dosing or frequent coffee switching) small footprint and no need to get another grinder out for the occasional french press or regular vacpot is a bonus.  There are also some features that work well in a low volume grinder that would be bad in a commercial situation, like the smaller ceramic low speed burrs, tiny hopper, the small footprint and relatively light weight. 

Reliability could be the final trade-off, which could end up making this grinder much more expensive. 

I warn you guys -  I am extremely susceptible to changing my opinion, and I would also be very likely to have a new set of rationalizations if the right price on a used Robur came up, so go easy on me!

Tex

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
I know I shouldn't go here, but I have a Vario, the thing is super convenient; me using a commercial espresso grinder would be like using a panel truck to commute to an office job.

Lack of a doser and a short clean output path makes things a lot easier, (like weight dosing or frequent coffee switching) small footprint and no need to get another grinder out for the occasional french press or regular vacpot is a bonus.  There are also some features that work well in a low volume grinder that would be bad in a commercial situation, like the smaller ceramic low speed burrs, tiny hopper, the small footprint and relatively light weight.  

Reliability could be the final trade-off, which could end up making this grinder much more expensive.  

I warn you guys -  I am extremely susceptible to changing my opinion, and I would also be very likely to have a new set of rationalizations if the right price on a used Robur came up, so go easy on me!

I've been toying with buying a Vario, but early versions of anything scare me. I'll give it time for the inevitable bugs to be found and resolved, then take another look.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:10:43 PM by Tex »

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 04:30:49 AM »
I've been using my new Vario for a couple of weeks now and I really like it a lot.  Pluses include:

-the number of grind settings (it's not stepless; but 230 choices gives me plenty of options).  The grind is actually noticeably different even when changing only one "micro" notch.

-the eveness of the grind -  I didn't scientifically measure but the particles seem to be the same size. 

-neatness; no mess on the counter, also no waste - what goes in is what comes out.  If I put in 17 grams, I get 17 grams out.

-consistent results, I've pulled some really good shots, had excellent pour over results, and good drip coffee all with one grinder.

- grinding directly into the portafilter is a nice option (adds to the neatness above).

- Sound - not a big deal to me, but the wife noticed that it grinds more quietly than Rocky.

-Presets are nice, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use them.  I tend to use different coffees for espresso and drip, and don't want to fill, unfill, refill, etc. when I change.  I've been measuring on a scale and putting the amount I want to grind right into the grinder.

- Footprint.  It fits nicely on my coffee counter and looks good.

The only negatives are really minor.  Putting the portafilter into the holder (it goes under a hook) and removing it is a little annoying.  Also not optimum because the portafilter for my Pavoni is a different size than the one in my Sylvia.  I may just remove the hook and hold the portafilter by hand.

I notice a little static when grinding into the container.  It's not a major, but I did need to brush out some grinds once or twice.

All in all, I think this is a great product and I would recommend it highly.
Bob Feuker

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:17:29 AM »
Review from the Uber Project

http://marco.ie/uberproject/