Author Topic: Chemistry Majors...  (Read 2587 times)

BoldJava

Chemistry Majors...
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:27 AM »
I had a mineral buildup in the Hario Buono kettle.  I took a packet of Dezcal and heated the solution up in the kettle.  One small packet for 26 oz is suggested.  That is what I used.  Mineral buildup is gone.

The results were a black-brown, tea-like color in the liquid.  Have I damaged the kettle (which I assume is an aluminum alloy)?  Dezcal is citric acid, aluminum salts, and sulfamic acid.  

I have rinsed it numerous times and washed with a gentle citric soap detergent.  Good to go?

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:31:44 AM by BoldJava »

GC7

Re: Chemistry Majors...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
Biochemistry not pure chemistry background - BUT

I think you should be fine. Aluminum based products as far as I recall get degraded by alkaline reactions - Your solution seems to be a stronger acidic solution (then standard citric acid descaler). Washed well I don't think anything toxic was created that could do you any harm though you may have degraded the wall of the kettle a bit. Use weak citric acid in the future. (Disclaimer of course that I can be ignorant of some unknown reaction - just ask Tex about my ignorance  :) )

As an aside I think you have an opening for a new profession - Bold/golfer

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/oct/26/golf-courses-employ-goats-maintenance/

Pasatiempo is a wonderful golf course by the way. I've seen goats at Lahinch in Ireland and Whistling Straits in Wisconsin as well.

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »

Pasatiempo is a wonderful golf course by the way. I've seen goats at Lahinch in Ireland and Whistling Straits in Wisconsin as well.

B|Golfer gets around, you know!

Tex

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
About the pot - the citric acid in the Dezcal will clean it down to shiny metal if it's aluminum. It may have other additives in it that caused it to oxidize. I'd just use plain citric acid if it was me. BTW: After the acid cleans the metal, aluminum oxide will form a protective layer that'll prevent pitting.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:43:14 PM by Tex »

Ray T

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
Just to be safe let Peter drink from it first  >:D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »

With friends like you, who needs enem...s?   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Ray T

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »

With friends like you, who needs enem...s?   ;D

Sorry could't resist  ;D

cfsheridan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »

Sayeth Peter: "Not bad."

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »

Sayeth Peter: "Not bad."

I'd give an 86. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

gt

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
Isn't the kettle stainless?

Tex

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:30 PM »

IIRC, citric acid will turn some stainless black. I've seen s/s filters completely blackened after soaking in citric acid solutions.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
I'm most definitely NOT a chemistry major, but that black stuff is due to a reaction called passivation, which is just a fancy word for the citric acid causing oxidation of the nickle and chromium in the stainless steel. At bit of trivia... in order for steel to be 'stainless' is must have at least 13% chromium. That's why the best cutlery is not stainless.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:07:47 PM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »

Correct.  I just looked it up.  I had assumed by how light it was that it was an aluminum alloy.

B|Java

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
any acid based cleaners are going to eat the steel or at least components out of it.  Given the cleaning agents you are using are comparatively mild, are not in super strength or sitting for a long time, it will probably be minimal.  For what its worth, any caustic / alkalii / basic.. based cleaners have the ability to do the same, especially on aluminum.

If your problem is scale buildup then yes an acid base is probably going to a bit better on it, if your problem is organic buildup ie grease / oils / gunk, then a alkaline base will probably work better for you.   For the non chemists out there, alkaline base is the opposite of the spectrum of acid based.

A powerful drain cleaner is mostly sulphuric acid,  a very strong acid base, the opposite of that spectrum would be to use Lye.  Both will tear up metals real good, especially aluminum.  Do not EVER mix them.

One thing I have found that works good is Sodium Carbonate, its mild enough not to tear stuff up yet will get grease and gunk out.   You can get a small 4-6 ounce bottle of the brand name 'brew rite' for about 4 bucks.  Or you can goto the pool cleaner isle and it's called Ph ADD by Aqua Chem and a quart bottle will cost about the same.  Same ingredient.

Rinse several times after cleaning and you should be fine.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

gt

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
I have very hard water and I've always used vinegar to clean all my coffee pots (glass and stainless) including my Hario kettle.  Any particular pluses or minuses for using vinegar?