Author Topic: Chemistry Majors...  (Read 2585 times)

GC7

Re: Chemistry Majors...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »
Vinegar is mainly citric acid in dilute form (a few % to slightly more).  You are fine.

We have well water that is hard and I take my Pina kettle and clean it in 5% solution of citric acid every couple of months. It's good as new after treatment.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
^^^^ Uh, no.  Vinegar is dilute acetic acid.

I knew that 30 year old masters in chemistry would come in handy some day.

I myself use a citric acid solution to clean my espresso and coffee gear.  I bought a five pound bag of powdered citric acid at a soap-making store a couple of decades ago, and I still have a couple of pounds left. Cheap, easy and works well.  Be sure to rinse thoroughly when you are done, and you are good to go.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:49:41 PM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

GC7

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »
Oops - my bad.  Sorry you're right.

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
Oops - my bad.  Sorry you're right.

Hey, I majored in business -- they both have -tics in them.  Close enough.

B|Java

GC7

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »
B|golfer - As an engineer I work with tells me all the time with a grin on his face -"close enough for biology".  It's what I get for posting before thinking.

Tex

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »
^^^^ Uh, no.  Vinegar is dilute acetic acid.

I knew that 30 year old masters in chemistry would come in handy some day.

I myself use a citric acid solution to clean my espresso and coffee gear.  I bought a five pound bag of powdered citric acid at a soap-making store a couple of decades ago, and I still have a couple of pounds left. Cheap, easy and works well.  Be sure to rinse thoroughly when you are done, and you are good to go.   

Here's where I get my citric acid - usually 2 lbs at a time. It's also a good place to buy bulk spices if you've got friends to split bulk orders?

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 03:33:45 AM »
Hario Buono kettle + C6H8O7 = Bad News

Let's just say Peter wasn't available and that left me as guinea goat.  First pot from the sparkling clean Hario kettle is ... ahm....not nice.  I washed it twice, boiled about 4 pots through it, rinsed it numerous times.  

Holy cannoli.  I'm headed to the kitchen to brew a vacpot.  Mercy.  Where is that magic clip that Peter engineered?  Braun taking over.

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:35:37 AM by BoldJava »

GC7

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:22 AM »
Hard to believe mild citric acid will ruin your kettle. 

Did you taste the water alone after boiling in the kettle?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:58 AM »
Holy cannoli.  I'm headed to the kitchen to brew a vacpot.  Mercy.  Where is that magic clip that Peter engineered?  Braun taking over.

B|Java

I have a SS water kettle with a wonderful spout, that came from a local restaurant supply store, you could have it for cheap.  As nice as that was in its day, the magic clip works better.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
Situation resolved.  The residual taste disappeared after 7 days of boiling a pot and pouring out the water.  Back in action.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »

I have a SS water kettle with a wonderful spout, that came from a local restaurant supply store, you could have it for cheap. 

Thanks for the offer but hang on to it.  It will come in handy when you have that AARP high tea next spring at your house.

B|Java

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
When I went to descale my VBM, I was told by a distributor to use Dezcal, and not citric acid.  He did not explain why.  It seems that they are almost the same, but Dezcal has a few extra goodies in there.  Any explinations?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
When I went to descale my VBM, I was told by a distributor to use Dezcal, and not citric acid.  He did not explain why.  It seems that they are almost the same, but Dezcal has a few extra goodies in there.  Any explinations?

The only difference is that 20oz of Dezcal is $13 dollars and 20lbs of Citric Acid is $20 dollars. I restore old espresso machines and have never had a problem with Citric Acid. I am guessing the distributor just wanted to make a few bucks off of you.

Tex

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
When I went to descale my VBM, I was told by a distributor to use Dezcal, and not citric acid.  He did not explain why.  It seems that they are almost the same, but Dezcal has a few extra goodies in there.  Any explinations?

The only difference is that 20oz of Dezcal is $13 dollars and 20lbs of Citric Acid is $20 dollars. I restore old espresso machines and have never had a problem with Citric Acid. I am guessing the distributor just wanted to make a few bucks off of you.

+1

BTW: Where are you getting citric acid so cheaply? I buy mine here: http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/20550/search/Citric_Acid,_%28Sour_Salt%29.html?SEARCH=3&WORDS=ascorbic%20acid&orig=30&PAGE=0&_ssess_=ec5fcc515cb3ff3119576a837418f83d
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:27:14 PM by Tex »