Author Topic: VBM Double Boiler  (Read 944 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
VBM Double Boiler
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »
I have been playing with my VBM Domobar Super Double Boiler for about a year now.  When I first received it, the OPV was set to 11.4 bar indicated.  Within a few days, I dug right in and adjusted the OPV to 10 indicated (estimating 9 bars in the PF).  I also wrote to the dealer from whom I bought the machine, asking why the OPV was set so high, if the general consensus was that the ideal pressure is around 9 bars.  A week later, I received a message forwarded from a VBM engineer in Italy, who said that "11-12 is the standard in Europe."

Over the months, I started wondering whether I should not have played with it at the factory-set pressure a bit longer before adjusting it.  Finally, a few weeks ago, I went back in to reset the pressure.  I worked on a cold machine, with both boilers off, setting it to 11.5 bar.  When I began pulling shots, the pressure went up to 12 bars.  I did notice the flavors to be on the bitter side.  Today, I went back and set it to 10.9 bar on a fully heated machine.  What are your experiences?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Tex

Re: VBM Double Boiler
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
I have been playing with my VBM Domobar Super Double Boiler for about a year now.  When I first received it, the OPV was set to 11.4 bar indicated.  Within a few days, I dug right in and adjusted the OPV to 10 indicated (estimating 9 bars in the PF).  I also wrote to the dealer from whom I bought the machine, asking why the OPV was set so high, if the general consensus was that the ideal pressure is around 9 bars.  A week later, I received a message forwarded from a VBM engineer in Italy, who said that "11-12 is the standard in Europe."

Over the months, I started wondering whether I should not have played with it at the factory-set pressure a bit longer before adjusting it.  Finally, a few weeks ago, I went back in to reset the pressure.  I worked on a cold machine, with both boilers off, setting it to 11.5 bar.  When I began pulling shots, the pressure went up to 12 bars.  I did notice the flavors to be on the bitter side.  Today, I went back and set it to 10.9 bar on a fully heated machine.  What are your experiences?

Illy E.S.E. is so pervasive in Europe that most companies adjust their consumer/prosumer machines to 11 bar minimum.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: VBM Double Boiler
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
Illy E.S.E. is so pervasive in Europe that most companies adjust their consumer/prosumer machines to 11 bar minimum.

I did not know the VBMs have an E.S.E. PF.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac