Author Topic: Silvia is Injured  (Read 1700 times)

BoldJava

Silvia is Injured
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:27:56 AM »
Hit and Run?  Not sure.

Never have dropped it. Suggestions of repair?  Still functions.  More a matter of "oh cwap..."  May need to commission Kris, ModelMaker to fix me up down the road.  Olive wood.

Edit:  Connected with Cannonfodder over at H-B and a remake is pending. (Dec 4)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:23:54 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Silvia is Injured
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:54:06 AM »
Maybe the change of the season caused the wood to crack. That was a beautiful PF handle. I guess you could fill it in with woody putty, but I don't think it would ever look the same. Look on the bright side; at least the crack is on the bottom. When it's in use you'll never see it.

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:14:49 AM »
.... Look on the bright side; at least the crack is on the bottom. When it's in use you'll never see it.

I see it in my sleeping dreams.

B|OverlyCarefulDave

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:13 AM »
Looks more like changing of seasons caused wood to dry / shrink and seperate.  If it was dropped there'd be an impact mark and area of that damage.  YOu can fix it with some woodworking glue and a clamp.  Get the glue down in there and clamp the thing gently together again, if you do it right the split will be almost invisible.  Let it set a good day to dry thoroughly, and then if any glue is seeped up / out that you didnt wipe off when wet, carefully get it off.  Id then Poly U or otherwise seal it then help keep it from splitting again possibly.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
ouch! that was a beautiful handle too. :(

a couple of possible things may have happened here. Since I'm assuming you have not put it in the dishwasher, it's not that.
it could be from too thin of a sealer on there allowing moisture in. Stress from clamping the handle in place to pull shots
or
It could be (and looks like) a natural crack since it looks like it's originating from a knot area, aggravated by the above possibilities. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is replace it. You could try putty but with the temp changes from pulling the shot will be enough to cause that putty to pop out after a little while.
I would recommend to continue trying to contact the original woodworker. if that doesn't work out, contact me, I'll take care of you.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:02:15 AM »
Hit and Run?  Not sure.

Never have dropped it.  The woodworker doesn't respond to emails.  Suggestions of repair?  Still functions.  More a matter of "oh cwap..."  May need to commission Kris, ModelMaker to fix me up down the road.  Olive wood.

:o :o :o

What a shame ... such a beautiful piece of wood like that.

:(
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »
B|ofgoodcheer

It's possibly the heat from the machine and drying of the wood.  If it was turned a little to green, the added add heat and time it will cause it to crack.

As for repair..... here is what I'd try.  Take the wood off the portafilter.  Go find a bottle of Gorilla glue and a clamp that will clamp it together.  make sure you protect the handle from the clamp with a cloth, pieces of wood etc.  Glue it by forcing some glue in the crack.  Once dry take a knife and carefully remove the excess glue (gorilla will push out foam l-like excess from the crack).  Then sand lightly and apply a few coats of Polyurethane finish, sanding between coats.  

If done correctly you will never be able to tell.

Oh, BTW, don't get the glue on you hands... it leaves black stains that will have to wear off.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:03:53 AM by milowebailey »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »
Your best bet?

Commission the 86th St. Slacker to fix it up.  I gots da glue, da clamp, an' I just bought da polyurethane.

Since you only use it on the weekends, I could take care of it during the week, and by the next weekend you'd be back in business.  We have to take care of the Czarina.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 09:13:54 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions and sympathy (grins).  Gracious offer on your part Peter.

For now, I will mull it over.  Down the road, I might well commission ModelMaker into activity.  Just an aside, the woodworker put a "Danish" finish on it or some term I can't mentally dredge up.  It has an extremely hard, smooth, glazed texture.  

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:41:47 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions and sympathy (grins).  Gracious offer on your part Peter.

For now, I will mull it over.  Down the road, I might well commission ModelMaker into activity.  Just an aside, the woodworker put a "Danish" finish on it or some term I can't mentally dredge up.  It has an extremely hard, smooth, glazed texture.  

B|Java

If you're not up to pulling the trigger yourself just let me know. I hate seeing a fine machine suffer!

GC7

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »

B|Java
Sorry to see that happen to such a beautifully crafted portafilter handle. Wood will do that sometimes.  We are building a new home and I was hoping to get a set like yours including portafilter handle and steam and hot water knobs that matches our kitchen cabinet choice of Cherry wood with an amaretto finish and java glaze. Given the lack of response from the woodworker I'm reluctant to go ahead with it. The finished product is stunning however.
Good luck with the fix!

Tex

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »

B|Java
Sorry to see that happen to such a beautifully crafted portafilter handle. Wood will do that sometimes.  We are building a new home and I was hoping to get a set like yours including portafilter handle and steam and hot water knobs that matches our kitchen cabinet choice of Cherry wood with an amaretto finish and java glaze. Given the lack of response from the woodworker I'm reluctant to go ahead with it. The finished product is stunning however.
Good luck with the fix!

A local wood carver has laid up some laminate which he'll use to make the portafilter handles for my latest rebuild. They're laminated to eliminate splitting plus he guarantees they'll look great (he uses the same technique to make wood baskets). I believe he's using cherry, olive, and a black wood that's not ebony. I think he's also making new tops for my grinder's bean hopper and doser.

He asked me to look at his espresso machine, and when I refused payment he offered to do this for free. Nice guy!

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »
Be of good cheer.  I have connected with the woodworker.  (H-B's PM system - I may well have screwed that up).

Ms Silvia's p/f is boxed and on its way to Pennsylvania for a re-make.  Once we connected, he gladly offered to redo it. (1st post edited to reflect that). Hopefully Ms Silvia will be off the injured reserve list in time for Czarinita Christmas visit.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:22:40 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 05:57:53 AM »
Here's wishing Sylvia's PF a quick and painless recovery.

:occasion14:
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

GC7

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
Be of good cheer.  I have connected with the woodworker.  (H-B's PM system - I may well have screwed that up).

Ms Silvia's p/f is boxed and on its way to Pennsylvania for a re-make.  Once we connected, he gladly offered to redo it. (1st post edited to reflect that). Hopefully Ms Silvia will be off the injured reserve list in time for Czarinita Christmas visit.

B|Java

Excellent - that thread over on HB has some of the most beautiful woodwork I have seen. I'm glad yours will be fixed.