Author Topic: Bunn's Trifecta  (Read 956 times)

BoldJava

Bunn's Trifecta
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:19 AM »
Wonder if anyone has tried a cup from Bunn's latest high-end machine, the Trifecta?  Next time we are in the Twin Cities, suggest a meet-up with the TC folks at the Dunn Bros lab for a cup:

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2010/12/dunn_brothers_c.php

That pulsing/agitation is all adjustable.  Machine runs $3300:

Bunn Trifecta

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Bunn's Trifecta
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:21 AM »
Nice but still just a really expensive Aeropress IMHO.

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »

Jason, one is down at Java Coffee.  Close to you?  http://javabrewingco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=68  I can see you walking in with your scarred Aeroplasticy, doing a head2head by HeadChange4.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:04:13 AM by BoldJava »

Stubbie

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »

At least it's a 1/3rd of the price of the other Aeropress imitator The Clover (RIP) :)

-Stubbie

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
I did try a cup from it at Coffee Fest.  Cool looking gadget, but not practical and I found nothing standout about the cup.  Realize that bunn did not have another prep to compare the cup with, so maybe they didn't have great coffee to begin with.  It's not a Clover by any stretch.

Cleaning looked to be sort of a PITA too.

If I were going to spend $3300... I think there a much better things to spend it on.

You could buy an Aeropress, a Coava Kone, & Chemex and a Hario cone and probably get as good or better cup and have enough money left to get a killer grinder too.

FinerGrind

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:40:58 AM »
That was 1:40 extraction time w/25g coffee (at what grind I wonder?) and 12oz water.  For the AeroPress, I've settled on 215g of water ('bout 8oz), 14g of med-fine ground coffee at a 45 sec dwell (steep) time and 10 sec. plunge (Tim Wendeboe method). I still feel that's a high coffee to water ratio but I save on time when making coffee back to back. I wonder if the per cup methods are using more coffee per cup than other brew methods?

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »

At least it's a 1/3rd of the price of the other Aeropress imitator The Clover (RIP) :)

-Stubbie

I knew when SBUX bought Clover it was just to keep it out of other's hands -- strictly a business ploy.  I understand it but it pizzes me off.  They haven't done JackSquat with it since acquiring it.

B|Java