Author Topic: Nuova Simonelli MCD65 Grinder - Clean and New Burrs  (Read 1996 times)

BoldJava

Nuova Simonelli MCD65 Grinder - Clean and New Burrs
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
I thought I would post this as a mini-project (for me it is a big deal).  This is the NS MCD65. They are rebadged Eurekas.  Made in Italy by http://www.eureka.co.it/.  The manufacturer is Conti Valerio, a northern Italian appliance manufacturer.  They also make La Marzocco grinders.

I am cleaning it up and deciding if it is going to be the new grinder or if the MACAP 4 keeps her place.  Real height issues - brother will cut it down and buff out the hopper at 4.5" for me.

The burrs really needed changing.  Thought I might post this thread and encourage fellow non-mechanically inclined folks to jump in there and tackle the project, when needed.

I washed all the exterior surfaces (no coffee contact points) with white grain vinegar.  There were tons of oil and splashes to clean up.  Where there were coffee contact points, heavy elbow grease and citrus detergent with multiple clean water/rag rinses.  It needed it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:45:01 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

Re: Nuova Simonelli MCD65
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
First thing I did was locate a source for new burrs.  Nuova Simonelli is not a popular grinder in North America.  Ended up locating the N Amer distributor near Seattle.  Talked to service and learned that the MCD65 really takes 64mm burrs.  Great.  That makes sense.  Burrs arrived with minor nicks.

I got nervous and called Chris Coffee and asked if all 64mm burrs were interchangeable.  No.

Me:  "Minor nicks in the machining.  Is this a problem?"  No, quite common actually.  He politely told me not to be quite so OCD (my expression).  This minor machining imperfection will not interfere with quality grind.

Downloaded a schematic and broke out the allen wrenches and screw drivers.  Took it down to the lower burr plate and cleaned.  In the lower left corner of the picture is the grind adjustment drive <?>.   It literally lowers and raises the plate for grind size as the plate is housed and mounted on top a very heavy motor, rated at 3 amps.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:48:48 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
Burrs were a bugger to get off.  They were on there tight, like when you go to take the flat off the car just to find out that a pneumatic gun bigger than all of Prussia was used to put the lugs back on.  I broke out the biggest screwdriver I own and got on top of the grinder to get my best leverage.  Off they came.

New lower burr, mounted on plate.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:37:02 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
Prior to the burr change out, I did a ton of grinding to compare the grinds retention between the MACAP 4 and the NS MCD65.  No comparison; Nuova Simonelli won hands down with less retention.

Here is the coffee exit -- there is just a straight drop through this exit, right down and into a snout.  More on that later but you can see the fin on the right of the shot.  There are four of these that carry the ground coffee to the exit.

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
Time for the top plate, into which the upper burr gets mounted.  Top plate on left, with the new upper burr mounted.  In the old set, the upper burr was much more worn.  I can't tell if that is natural or had someone changed out the bottom one and not the top?  Who knows.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:30:02 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
Doser?  No way.  I don't use enough espresso grind to justify it.  I love snouts.  This one has a bag clip on it.  This is a European model that sits in the corner deli and you weigh out your own 250 grams and grind away (large clip).

When I reattached this to the body, there continues to be some play in the snout.  I am wondering if that is designed that way to "wiggle out" the remainder of your grind.   I will ask Peter to look at it the next time he is here.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:45:28 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Top is reassembled with the grind dial back in place (nice porcelain - love it).  Very heavy, substantive dial.  Self locks.  Turns easily while the machine is on but it self-holds right in place once you release it.

Ready for the hopper and a grind or two.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:46:09 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »
Well, the grind is excellent and fluffy.  I am unsure if it will dislodge the Macap or not.  I am going to wait until the Silvia's portafilter handle comes back (in Pennsylvania for a repair).  With the espresso, I think I will better be able to judge the grind.  Right now, the grinds compare very well.

One of the grinders will have to go. I am closet-rooting for the Nuova Simonelli.  It is eye-candy.  I called a local industrial powder coater.   If the NS wins the grind-off, it will get a new powder coat after a plastic bead blasting. They have 200 colors and patterns on a palate from which to pick.  I have the schematics and have to figure out the electrical wiring to pull it apart and take the body in.  With powder coating, there is a 10-20 minute 400 degree drying phase so all electrical needs to come out.

The other thing I would do is have them blast the chrome plating and take that down to a flat presentation.  Time will tell.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:11:38 PM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Nice Job B|handy.... good lookin grinder.

BoldJava

Re: Nuova Simonelli MCD65 Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
The NS grinder really moves through the beans compared to the Macap.  I am not sure if that is burr size or motor size but zoooommm, there goes 60 grams.  

The stepless arrangement is appealing when it comes to espresso grind.  Let's see if that plays out.

B|Java

Ray T

Re: Nuova Simonelli MCD65 Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »
Great job Dave. Don't worry about the leftover screws, when I was doing appliance repair we called them pocket screws

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:07:09 PM »
Doser?  No way.  I don't use enough espresso grind to justify it.  I love snouts.  This one has a bag clip on it.  This is a European model that sits in the corner deli and you weigh out your own 250 grams and grind away (large clip).

When I reattached this to the body, there continues to be some play in the snout.  I am wondering if that is designed that way to "wiggle out" the remainder of your grind.   I will ask Peter to look at it the next time he is here.

Mine wiggles too.  I believe it is designed that way.

Roasting Realtor

Re: Nuova Simonelli MCD65 Grinder - Clean and New Burrs
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »
I picked one of these up on eBay a few years ago for $100 + shipping.  Not a thing wrong with it either.  Just got lucky.  And I love the chute vs doser.