Author Topic: Sono vs HT  (Read 1062 times)

AmishMenno

Sono vs HT
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
 Batch size was exactly why I sold my Sono and bought a Hottop. Funny thing is, I'm liking the coffee from the HT so much I'm roasting twice a week, which is more than the capacity of one batch on the Sono.
So maybe batch size wasn't the problem: Maybe the Sono just didn't roast that well? No slam intended - I'm serious.[/quote]

I have a HT and was thinking to go to the Sono but after reading this -- it sounds like I would be going backwards. So, I better look into an expensive drum roaster if I want to upgrade from the HT. Good to hear all the comments, good and not so good.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Sono vs HT
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
I've been trying to make this exact decision for purchase next month.

At this point I am about 99.9% sure I'm going with the HT for control over batch size.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
I've been trying to make this exact decision for purchase next month.

At this point I am about 99.9% sure I'm going with the HT for control over batch size.

??

The HT has a small batch size; I usually kept mine to <300grams. There is a lot of roast profile flexibility in the HT, and you can get some great roasts out of it. I didn't like the built-in safety switches and I didn't like the limitations in batch size.

If you like the great flexibility of the HT, can live with the safety "features", and the smallish batch sizes are OK for your needs, the the HT is a great buy! Oh, and compared to the Sonofresco or a UFO/CO, the HT is a bit of a pain to clean - especially if you have large hands and want to get into the roast chamber for a wipe down.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
I just put my Dyson at the chaff drawer opening and let 'er rip!  Once every month or so is enough to keep my HT plenty clean.  I open the drum perhaps once every few months, but more for fun than cleaning.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
When the beans drop, put them in a colander and then when the HT is in it's cooling cycle you can just lift it up and point the glass front up towards the sky and all the chaff will fall/blow out.