Author Topic: Bodum Santos Electric  (Read 909 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Bodum Santos Electric
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
Hello everyone:
My Bodum Santos 12 cup? electric vac pot after many years of faithful service is starting to give up the ghost.   I am looking for another one at the present time.
Currently I am looking at E bay and see them for 225 to 600 bucks  WTF??!!!  No way an electric pot is that much money, that is stupid rediculous insane!!   I got mine for 70 bucks back then.  Ok maybe I am being a cheap ass but crap, for 225 bucks I can get a nice entry level espresso machine, not a friggin kettle with an oil spout on the top!!

anyways... if anyone has any links or leads  where I might pick one up fairly reasonable, or is selling one, even refurb / used is fine, can you please post it or PM me.
Thank you.

Aaron

(the cheap curmudgeon has spoken)
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

Re: Bodum Santos Electric
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Is there a reason you want to stay with an electric vac pot? I ask because IMO they're not as good as the stove top & table top models I use. I have an electric Bodum Santos in the garage somewhere, a gift from a well-meaning relative. I also had a Black & Decker VB100, bought because America's Test Kitchen recommended it. I was never able to get the temp under control like I do with my Yama 5-cup tabletop or the Silex 12 cup vintage vac pots I use.

If you simply have to to have one, this is the lowest price I found: http://www.jamaicabluemountaincoffee.com/bodum-santos-coffee-maker/index.html?pn=0

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
The main advantage to the Bodum Electric is the sensor under the bottom.  It shuts off the heating element, and the coffee comes back down on it's own, so you can ignore it while it's doing its thing.

Look Jeffo; I used it's and its in the same sentecne (sic).   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
sweet.. I paid $6 for mine at the thrift store last week... I don't think it was ever used..  I think it makes great coffee, like peter said, some of the great in that cup is the "fire and forget" part of brewing..

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
I like the fire and forget thing a LOT.  Mainly I use it to heat the water for my swissgold (ok im a caveman shoot me), and no I don't want to buy an electric kettle because fairly often Ill be asked to make a pot of coffee and it does the trick just fine.

I let some descaler soak in it overnight and I think that is what caused it to start leaking a bit.  Got nice and shiny but well, I should have known better,  all that stuff was holding it together after all these years.  ;D

I do have a stove top vac pot though, I think it's an old cory from the 50's or so I picked up along the way.  it does a decent job, but sometimes I want good coffee with all the fiddling around.  The electric santos does that for me.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Pyment

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
for that price, I like the Newco AKH-TC.

I have the AKH-AP. I found a KitchenAid proline gold filter and use that with it. Does a bang up job.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/newco/akh-tc/p373104.aspx