Author Topic: Quest M3 Roaster  (Read 8833 times)

BoldJava

Quest M3 Roaster
« on: January 25, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
I think the Quest M3 is probably next for me.  I know, cost per produced unit is high.  Some of us are plug and play types.  I am going to keep the Gene limping (fan and temp sensor on the way from Utah) and the Nesco dancing in the background.  The RK?  Well, March will see its fires rekindled.  I admire those of you that stride outside in 7* temps but I have decided not to join you.  I need 40* to play that game.

That is a long intro.  Reading a ton over at H-B and thought we might post here if you had experience on the Quest M3.  Please, no long explanations on why your system is more cost effective and superior -- we know that.  Post in a different thread.  Let's keep this on topic about the Quest M3.  And second, yes, we know it is overpriced.  Agreed.  

Just a thread from those that might have used one or are about to take the $1200 plunge.  I am beginning to save for it.

Quest M3:  http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/content/quest
H-B marathon thread - 35 pages and counting (Schulmann loves his): http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/another-airhead-drums-initial-impressions-of-quest-m3-t12502.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:23:50 PM by BoldJava »

FinerGrind

Re: Quest M3 Roaster
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
I roasted on one and I liked everything about it.  But IMO it is truly a sample roaster, one you would use to roast small samples (which are sometimes limited to just a few grams), or to develop a roast profile on a coffee you've selected, then use your larger production roaster.  The trier is a wee little thing!

I want to read the links you've provided, because I think one is in my future as well.  I think it's well built and somewhat industrial (no safety features to prevent burns if you touch hot surfaces by accident) and it seemed responsive when ramping up the heat and having the bean respond.  But I would use it to sample roast because I think you would burn up a lot of time roasting enough to drink for a length of time.

GC7

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
I've read all the available discussions aswell.

I agree that for home use only this roaster appears to have most of the necessary tools to really profile a roast including the ability to monitor BT and ET.  EricS's couplings for this is something I would consider.

That said, I would like the ability to save profiles as with the hottop and have them repeated for subsequent use. The Quest can't do that I think without elaborate home mods. It also had some problems I believe with heating elements so voltage changes and/or pushing higher heat and loadscould lead to problems.  We've heard for  while that HotTop was upgrading and possibly making a 1 pound unit that might be worth waiting.

Nothing is perfect but the Quest could be the best option for serious home roasters. Good luck!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
Looks nice, but 120 grams?  I'd really like larger batches than that.  I'm only going to have one roaster so a 1/4lb unit would wear me out keeping up with our household consumption.

A one pound Hottop would make me happy.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »
... It also had some problems I believe with heating elements so voltage changes and/or pushing higher heat and loadscould lead to problems.  . .

I could be wrong but I recall reading that TOwen had them juice up the heating elements before he signed on with them.

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
Looks nice, but 120 grams? ...

That may be Shurb's recommendation.  I need to locate it but I think Schulmann is using 200-230 grams, which is what I do on the Gene.

B|Java

ecc

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
I got one for Xmas, still getting used to it.  (and the accompanying temporary coffee toy/greens budget timeout!) The batch size is pretty small, but it works perfectly for me; I prefer a bunch of little batches (5-10 at 200g) to a few big ones, and I needed a roaster that was housebroken.  I hooked up a vent out a window pretty easily, about the same roast smell as a dryer ducted Gene.

For a while I wanted a small commercial roaster, but realized that there is a lot of extra issues with install, location, warm-up time, cleaning, smoke, safety, fuel, etc. that goes along with the bigger batches.   What I really wanted was a super gene; high duty cycle back to back roasting ability, some airflow control for better body, smooth heater control, ability to stick a thermocouple in da beans, and some notion that the skills learned might transfer up to one of the bigger machines some day.

Pretty happy with it so far!

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
I prefer a bunch of little batches (5-10 at 200g) to a few big ones

Bingo.

I hooked up a vent out a window pretty easily, about the same roast smell as a dryer ducted Gene.

Got a pic or two?

For a while I wanted a small commercial roaster, but realized that there is a lot of extra issues with install, location, warm-up time, cleaning, smoke, safety, fuel, etc. that goes along with the bigger batches.   What I really wanted was a super gene; high duty cycle back to back roasting ability, some airflow control for better body, smooth heater control, ability to stick a thermocouple in da beans, and some notion that the skills learned might transfer up to one of the bigger machines some day.

Yes, yes and yes.

Back to back to back to back roasts.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:37:18 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
I prefer a bunch of little batches (5-10 at 200g) to a few big ones

Bingo.

I hooked up a vent out a window pretty easily, about the same roast smell as a dryer ducted Gene.

Got a pic or two?

Yes, yes and yes.

Back to back to back to back roasts.

B|Java

They use to be $1,000 before CoffeeShrub picked them up. You could go out on a limb and buy a chinese made 1-2kg commercial roaster for around $2,500 plus crating and shipping ;) . You should see if any of the companies will give you a price break on the floor models they bring to coffeefest.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:29:42 PM by Warrior372 »

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

They use to be $1,000 before CoffeeShrub picked them up. You could go out on a limb and buy a chinese made 1-2kg commercial roaster for around $2,500 plus crating and shipping ;) .

Long discussion around this on H-B.  (1)  Shrub didn't request an exclusive.  (2)  Manufacturer treats Shrub as exclusive.  (3)  Shrub didn't get enough of a markdown, etc.  Everyone on the thread knows a better way.  Easy to throw a post up but more difficult to execute.

For me, the $200 is worth the year's warranty via Shrub, the transportation, the importing issues, the "pulling my hair out because they dropped my roaster in LAX and the manufacturer and I can't resolve..."  I went through that mental model before Shrub picked it up and decided I wouldn't be willing to put $1000 on the line to a foreign manufacturer/direct sale.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
I was going to say that you sure have a lot invested in roasters!

You are getting into the $ range where a 1K roaster makes sense. I have mine on a heavy duty cart. I have a dedicated circuit for it. I just open the garage door (part way in winter)and have no special venting.

It will serve you for life with little further investment (gas/ electricity/ oil). With practice most can do 1/4 lb batches. 1/2-1 is a little easier.

I think the Quest M3 is probably next for me.

.... And second, yes, we know it is overpriced.  Agreed.  

Overpriced and not cost effective.

And mine is superior. ;D

ecc

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
Quest exhaust hack to a dryer vent, a little sheet metal, tin-snips, and tape:

ecc

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
You can't see it very well, the second picture attempts to show all the slits that I put in both pieces to make the hole right since I can't cut a decent circle.

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »

Quest exhaust hack to a dryer vent, a little sheet metal, tin-snips, and tape:

Thx for the quick response.  Trying to visualize this as I have never seen the machine close up.

Are you exhausting that to an outside vent or running a dryer hose out a window?  
How well is it working for you?  I vent via a dryer hose, window and a towel with the Gene.  Very minimal residual smoke odor within 2 hours.

Peter, could you Rube Goldberg this set-up for me if and when I buy it?

B|Java

ecc

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
Here is a better shot of the back of the roaster, the hack connects to the dryer vent in the background. 

I have a universal space saver box dryer vent velcro'd to the wall running straight up to the window, my roasting cart is fireproof but a little short...