Author Topic: Quest M3 Roaster  (Read 8832 times)

ecc

Re: Quest M3 Roaster
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
Here is an image of the space saver duct, originally I thought I could use it to horizontally block the window opening snugly, (it adjusts in length) too much cold air was getting through my window board back into the intake of the roaster.
(EDIT: re-worded to make a little more sense)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:21:26 PM by ecc »

Offline Rob

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
Bingo......my thought process as well Bold Java. 

For me, the $200 is worth the year's warranty via Shrub, the transportation, the importing issues, the "pulling my hair out because they dropped my roaster in LAX and the manufacturer and I can't resolve..."  I went through that mental model before Shrub picked it up and decided I wouldn't be willing to put $1000 on the line to a foreign manufacturer/direct sale.

B|Java
[/quote]

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
You could just buy things with an American Express. They reverse the money back onto your card and then file a dispute with the other party versus almost all other card companies who file a dispute and might possibly give you your money back months down the road. The whole direct wiring of money into offshore accounts prior to companies making and shipping a product does weird me out a bit. Warranties are always a good thing too.

Igrind

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
I think the Quest M3 is probably next for me.  I know, cost per produced unit is high.  Some of us are plug and play types.  I am going to keep the Gene limping (fan and temp sensor on the way from Utah) and the Nesco dancing in the background.  The RK?  Well, March will see its fires rekindled.

So B|Java, did you spring for the M3 yet?  Very anxious to hear (or read) your reviews, when/if you pick one up.  Totally agree with the $200 peace of mind thing too.

petershek

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:21:55 AM »
Hello everyone!
I'm also a Quest M3 user and I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer last month and I'm still on the learning curve in controlling the machine.  Mine is with drum rotation speed control.  Before the M3 I used a heatgun/bread machine combination and the immediate difference I can find is the much stronger aroma coming out from the beans right after roasting.  With air roasters I feel that most of the volatile aromatic particles on the outer layer of the beans had been stripped off by hot air while drum roasters can retain much of these.

No doubt the M3 is very quiet and neatly designed with just a small footprint.  You must see the real Quest M3 to understand how well it's built and how intellectually it was designed on certain features.  The design philosophy was a roaster which can last forever with simple and common components that can be easily replaced by after-market components.  I also see lots of potential in modding the M3 to be controlled/monitored by PID or TC4, the Arduino shield developed by the guys over homeroaster.org.  I'm now roasting beans monitored by Artisan and TC4 connected to my Macbook.  I'll incorporate two relay switches into the M3 later for controlling the heater and the fan via TC4.

The manufacturer is also a very nice and responsible that I would highly recommend.  Initially, my machine arrived Hong Kong with a screw on its feet loosen off.  It caused the whole machine to come off from one side of its feet and sit on the power adjustment knob,  which eventually was crushed by its weight.  The drum axis was also bent to one side a little bit.  I emailed the manufacturer, sent him pictures and he agreed to replace all damaged parts for free, including paying both to-from shipping costs.  He finished repairing and sent back the M3 to me just one day after he had received it.  I consider the seller/manufacturer Mr. Yen is a very responsible person.  (I personally feel that at that small scale of business, he's much much much better than the grinder selling lab in the US which bears the same name for their grinder.  That lab can't even honor their delivery-within-one month promise after receiving payment, or even couldn't answer simple questions such as outer dimensions of its burr etc. :P)

Anyone need Mr. Yen's email for direct contact can pm me.  His English I guess is good enough to communicate.  ;D

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
I think the Quest M3 is probably next for me.  I know, cost per produced unit is high.  Some of us are plug and play types.  I am going to keep the Gene limping (fan and temp sensor on the way from Utah) and the Nesco dancing in the background.  The RK?  Well, March will see its fires rekindled.  I admire those of you that stride outside in 7* temps but I have decided not to join you.  I need 40* to play that game.

That is a long intro.  Reading a ton over at H-B and thought we might post here if you had experience on the Quest M3.  Please, no long explanations on why your system is more cost effective and superior -- we know that.  Post in a different thread.  Let's keep this on topic about the Quest M3.  And second, yes, we know it is overpriced.  Agreed.  

Just a thread from those that might have used one or are about to take the $1200 plunge.  I am beginning to save for it.

Quest M3:  http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/content/quest
H-B marathon thread - 35 pages and counting (Schulmann loves his): http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/another-airhead-drums-initial-impressions-of-quest-m3-t12502.html

BoldJava,
I'm really glad you started this thread. I do have a Hottop coming my way soon but truth be told I have started to save for a Quest. I read 'bout everything I could find over on HB, contacted the seller and checked out the videos on Sweet Marias. Not that I need to justify anything I purchase, but I figure since I roasted in cast iron for 10 years and another 4 on a popcorn popper, it would be kinda nice to have a slick set up , especially since all my other coffee shit is pretty tight. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

OO :icon_rr:
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Marshall_S

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 06:34:51 AM »
I have owned a Quest since mid-March and would like to share my experience with it.

First of - a quick summary of my home roasting experience.  I‘ve been home roasting for 4 years and have used popcorn poppers, a FreshRoast, heat gun,Gene Cafe and now the Quest. I roast mainly for myself - a pound or so a week at most.

I roasted with the Gene Cafe for the past 2 years and when the Quest became available at Sweet Maria’s I was ready to move up to a more professional grade roaster that would let me do profiling with greater control and precision.

The Quest more than fits the bill.  The only mods or add-ons I have done are the addition of 2 digital thermocouples - one for environmental temperature and one for drum or bean temperature.  I highly recommend both of these.

The ability to monitor both ET and BT is great and gives you all the control you could ask for.

The roaster is very quiet and first and second crack are easy to hear.

As far as smoke, I find it  to be very minimal.  I crack a window in my home and that’s it.  I’d say it’s on par with the Gene Cafe and is not a big deal.

Drum roasted coffee has a different taste than other methods and I’m still at the beginning of a long learning curve.  I know that my roasts are slowly improving as I experiment with different temperatures and fan speed.  It really is fun to roast with the Quest and it is capable of very good results in the cup.

One footnote: I did have a problem with my roaster and it was eventually resolved.  After reading the Home-Barista threads, I am convinced that my problem was very rare if not the first of its type.  The motor would seize after it cooled down and could only be started by hand turning the drum (not good).  I found Molly Yen to be extremely personable (and sympathetic) but his ability to understand and resolve my problem was limited by the language barrier.

Sweet Maria’s response was a different story.  I ended up sending the roaster back to them for a repair which eventually led to them replacing my unit with another brand new one.

My replacement unit has worked flawlessly and probably will for a long time to come.

With Sweet Maria’s in the loop, you have nothing to worry about re: any potential problems with the roaster.

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
BoldJava,
I'm really glad you started this thread...

I am squirreling away $10 a week.  Now with the Cremina anchored in, the Quest M3 will be my retirement gift to myself in two years.  Who knows what mods or new machines will come along in those two years.

B|Java

petershek

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »
BoldJava,
I'm really glad you started this thread...

I am squirreling away $10 a week.  Now with the Cremina anchored in, the Quest M3 will be my retirement gift to myself in two years.  Who knows what mods or new machines will come along in those two years.

B|Java

The earlier you buy, the earlier you get the joy.  >:D >:D >:D ;D

Tex

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
Why 200 grams? That'd work for a sample roaster but is too small for my needs. I seldom blend and go through ~1 lb of greens a week; almost always SO.

So where's the 1 lb consumer drum roaster?

ecc

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »
Why 200 grams? That'd work for a sample roaster but is too small for my needs. I seldom blend and go through ~1 lb of greens a week; almost always SO.

After a decent amount of experimentation, (and after some expert advice) I've settled to a 165g batch with this roaster.  You could charge a full half pound, but it limits the profiles you can use. I just run 8-12 small batches at a sitting, and enjoy the variety.  Convenient roasting inside is nicer than big charges.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Isn't that known as the Behmor?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
You cannot truly profile on a behmor though. What Tex wants costs about $5k-$8k :) . Even the Mini 500 supposedly does not hit it's 1lb noted 'capacity' and it costs $3k.

I think one of the problems with this is that reliable motors for anything that can run 24/7 are not cheap. Just for a reliable motor you would be looking at $500 dollars, then add a centrifugal blower that can handle the high air temps it will need to deal with for add $300-$500 (a fan with plastic in it would not work), if you want a cooling tray you need to add another blower which will run you another $300-$500 and another motor for $300-$500 to turn the agitators, now you need a 1/8" to 1/4 inch SS drum so add $80-$100, you still have to pay a skilled welder to make the frame and drum vanes with most master welders charging $40-$75 per hour and you still have to do 'finish' work on the roaster like paint and polish.

A high quality 1lb roaster would cost a manufacturer in the US so much money to make that I am sure they try to avoid it like wild fire. Not many people would pay a 'keystone' price double that of what the manufacturer sank into making the roaster. In a manufacturing business like that you need to at very least double your money with the low number of machines you would sell on a yearly basis. So, say they spend $2.5k-$4k making it you are now at your retail price of $5k-$8k.

The costs involved in such a small roaster are likely why most manufacturers avoid them altogether and just go with 1kg capacity being their smallest roaster. A consumer / small commercial roaster can better justify spending $5k-$8k on a 1kg or 2.2kg roaster than a 1lb.

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
I think one of the problems ...

A high quality 1lb roaster would cost a manufacturer in the US so much money to make ...

The costs involved in such a small roaster are likely why most manufacturers avoid them...

What the man said.  Thin margins, no cost efficiencies on the relatively small demand that exists.  If you are going to tie up capital, put it somewhere that yields an adequate return for risk involved.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:49:16 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
I think an M3 would be great to learn profile roasting on with the ability to manipulate heat and airflow on demand. I am sure you could upgrade stuff like the fan fairly easily to further manipulate the beans.