Author Topic: Tamper - Espro Calibrated Tamper, 58mm - Travel and Lottery  (Read 2983 times)

BoldJava

Tamper - Espro Calibrated Tamper, 58mm - Travel and Lottery
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:37 AM »
Buy a chance on the Espro Automatic Click Tamper, try it for a week, and "learn" 30 lbs and evaluate the item at the same time.  Pls post your impressions, thoughts, review after using it for a week.

It's always amateur hour when I have a tamper in hand. With Silvia's olive wood portafilter once again ready to go and the Yemenfest one week away, I bought a 58mm flat black calibrated tamper from Espro that 'clicks' when 30 lbs force is applied.  Join the raffle, ship around the country, try it out for a week.   Costs would be :

5 of us: $18.85
6 of us:  $15.76
7 of us:  $13.55
8 of us:  $11.90
9 of us: $10.61
10 of us:  $9.58

No money yet, please. You assume costs of shipping to next person.  Fewer than 5 of us?  I will just eat the costs and we ship it among ourselves and return it to me.

Who is in?  I will have someone select a random number at our YemenFest next Saturday, Feb 5th.

List:
BoldJava
ecc
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:44:25 PM by BoldJava »

GC7

Re: Tamper - Espro Calibrated Tamper, 58mm - Travel and Lottery
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:17:19 AM »
I love this tamper. It truly does give reliable and reproducible feedback about tamp pressure. It is also solid, well built and hefty. I highly recommend this product.  Like all Espro products it is not cheap but having used this product for about three years now I have no desire to spend more money on tampers.

I would also say that as a company, Espro makes really quality and inovative products.  I have both their 12 and 20 oz. torroid pitchers and latte art quality microfoam is as easy as can be to make using them.  They are literally idiot proof and I am living proof of this.  ;D

I'm tempted to get their new french press.

PS -  have no conection to the company except as a happy consumer.

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »

No more posts until you grab an Espro Press.  This is a must-have toy.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
I had the Espro tamper for a couple days.  It seemed like it was always clicking at 29#, and at the end of the 2nd day I checked it with a scale.  Yup, a lb. light, so back it went.  I can't have my tamps be a pound off, can I?

<BIG wink>
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »

B|Java

Why? Seems you're trying to codify espresso making, when everyone knows it's about taste and eye appeal. Maybe Shaun should step in and teach you some of his Zen & Art Of The Espresso? ;D

Mechanical tampers indeed, harumph!
 :laughing4:

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
ZZZZZZIIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!

"When you mess with da bull ... you get da horns."

Good note taking Robert.

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »

B|Java
This almost begs a highjacking.  But I'd never do that :angel:

GC7

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
I had the Espro tamper for a couple days.  It seemed like it was always clicking at 29#, and at the end of the 2nd day I checked it with a scale.  Yup, a lb. light, so back it went.  I can't have my tamps be a pound off, can I?

<BIG wink>

Peter

Can you please outline your scale calibration method?

<big wink back at you!>

GC7

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Why? Seems you're trying to codify espresso making, when everyone knows it's about taste and eye appeal. Maybe Shaun should step in and teach you some of his Zen & Art Of The Espresso? ;D

Tex - you and others poo pooing this tamper remainds me of a mistake made in a lab I used to work at at Stanford where we got some graduate cylinders that had no graduated markings on them to tell us the volume of liquid being measured.  They were worthless never the less we put our own silly markings on them all over the place while laughing and joking that any experienced scientist didn't need any stinkin markings on their cylinders to measure accurately.

This situation with the tamper is not dissimilar but obviously not as critical.  It's a great tamper.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »

Good note taking Robert.

B|Goat's phrase about a 'must-have toy' were referring to the Espro Press, their double-wall/double-screen press pot.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

Good note taking Robert.

B|Goat's phrase about a 'must-have toy' were referring to the Espro Press, their double-wall/double-screen press pot.

What, the ol' B|jacker hijacked his own thread? LOL!

Tex

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »

Tex - you and others poo pooing this tamper remainds me of a mistake made in a lab I used to work at at Stanford where we got some graduate cylinders that had no graduated markings on them to tell us the volume of liquid being measured.  They were worthless never the less we put our own silly markings on them all over the place while laughing and joking that any experienced scientist didn't need any stinkin markings on their cylinders to measure accurately.

This situation with the tamper is not dissimilar but obviously not as critical.  It's a great tamper.

I understand; there have always been those that measure and those that don't.

Tex

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »

B|Java
This almost begs a highjacking.  But I'd never do that :angel:

I should hope not; that would set a bad example for the noobs! Now, that makes at least two of us who'd never hijack a thread. If we could only get St. Peter to sign up, maybe we could set a trend for others to follow?

milowebailey

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
I like the look of those cone shaped urinals... that would look cool in my future man-cave bathroom.

GC7

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
"I understand; there have always been those that measure and those that don't"

Tex - that's exactly correct and we agree totally perhaps for the first time.

I measure.

If you contend that you don't then what's all this fuss you put up about tuning expresso machines for brew pressure and temperature.  ???    ::)  Why not just eyeball it? Who needs a PID? - All my engineer friends make a fuss to me about measuring and quantitation of results of experiments saying "close enough for biology".

Perhaps we need an espreso term - close enough for Tex  ;D

How's that for hijacking?  >:D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:51:06 AM by GC7 »