Author Topic: Tamper - Espro Calibrated Tamper, 58mm - Travel and Lottery  (Read 2984 times)

Tex

Re: Tamper - Espro Calibrated Tamper, 58mm - Travel and Lottery
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I like the look of those cone shaped urinals... that would look cool in my future man-cave bathroom.

I always wanted to put some of that wall paper in the powder room, to see if I could startle guests?

Tex

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
"I understand; there have always been those that measure and those that don't"

Tex - that's exactly correct and we agree totally perhaps for the first time.

I measure.

If you contend that you don't then what's all this fuss you put up about tuning expresso machines for brew pressure and temperature.  ???    ::)  Why not just eyeball it? Who needs a PID? - All my engineer friends make a fuss to me about measuring and quantitation of results of experiments saying "close enough for biology".

Perhaps we need an espreso term - close enough for Tex  ;D

How's that for hijacking?  >:D

You really don't get the purpose of tamping do you? All tamping is doing is arranging even contact of the grounds in the puck. Once water hits the puck it expands to fill the grouphead, so the amount of pressure applied to the puck in its preparation is moot.

edited: While the amount of tamp pressure may be moot, it's still necessary to be consistent from shot to shot.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:01:04 AM by Tex »

GC7

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
Glad you edited Tex -

Consistency = measuring = better espresso

That tamper makes you consistent and more so then you could ever hope to be without the feedback. Same as the graduate cylinder for measuring liquids.  Measured calibrated markings are necessary for accuracy and consistency.

Tex

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Glad you edited Tex -

Consistency = measuring = better espresso

That tamper makes you consistent and more so then you could ever hope to be without the feedback. Same as the graduate cylinder for measuring liquids.  Measured calibrated markings are necessary for accuracy and consistency.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. " And baristas?

GC7

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. " And baristas?

If you belief that idiotic quote then your mind is really smaller than I thought it was.

How in the world you can preach tuning espresso machines and then come up with that quote speaks volumes.  ::)  You can't be that slow.

PS- I will not comment any further.  This is a great opportunity to try the Espro Tamper that B|Java has presented to members. Let those who wish to try it the chance to do so in peace.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:25:23 PM by GC7 »

Tex

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »

If you belief that idiotic quote then your mind is really smaller than I thought it was.

How in the world you can preach tuning espresso machines and then come up with that quote speaks volumes.  ::)  You can't be that slow.

PS- I will not comment any further.  This is a great opportunity to try the Espro Tamper that B|Java has presented to members. Let those who wish to try it the chance to do so in peace.

Too bad your curriculum didn't include English Lit, your might've been taught how to properly interpret that famous quote. ::)

Hint: The proper emphasis is on the 2nd word.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:48:44 PM by Tex »

EricBNC

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
I agree - people spend way too much time measuring this and that - the way I make espresso it's like trying a different kind of coffee every time.  Variety is the spice of life, so they say.

As to the tamper, I wish I could use a 58mm but my filter basket is too small.  I will enjoy reading what others think though - I believe Espro makes a 53mm too.

GC7

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
Too bad you don't even have the simple ability to interpret what is foolish and what is not.  ::)

Now leave this thread alone and let people get a chance to try this tamper.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »
Too bad you don't even have the simple ability to interpret what is foolish and what is not.  ::)

Now leave this thread alone and let people get a chance to try this tamper temper tantrum.

No sweat, I corrected your mistake. ;D

ecc

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »
Count me in!  Travel/lotteries obviously don't count against my temp toy timeout.

I practiced against a bathroom scale to get to 30lbs, but it was a long time ago.  It will be interesting to see where 30lbs is on an actual tamp, and how much the click jars the puck.

As far as the controversy goes, I personally doubt every variable is of equal importance, or needs to be carefully controlled/monitored.  On the other hand, it can be interesting, and unless it distracts from some other more crucial area, I can't see how it hurts. 

As a relative newbie, I am a little surprised how often some of the more experienced assume their espresso is already at the point of diminishing return.  As good as it gets may be self-fulfilling?

Tex

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Count me in!  Travel/lotteries obviously don't count against my temp toy timeout.

I practiced against a bathroom scale to get to 30lbs, but it was a long time ago.  It will be interesting to see where 30lbs is on an actual tamp, and how much the click jars the puck.

As far as the controversy goes, I personally doubt every variable is of equal importance, or needs to be carefully controlled/monitored.  On the other hand, it can be interesting, and unless it distracts from some other more crucial area, I can't see how it hurts.  

As a relative newbie, I am a little surprised how often some of the more experienced assume their espresso is already at the point of diminishing return.  As good as it gets may be self-fulfilling?

Not me; I just said no! ;D

No controversy, I just like things nice & tidy, everything in its place and accounted for. I also believe that after certain minimum standards are met, one takes happy accidents in stride.

Some of my best shots happened after I'd screwed something up - like yesterday when I dosed the filter with the proper amount of ground coffee then put it in the machine and pulled a shot; not realizing I'd neglected to tamp until the shot was ~60% done. Turned out I had a very nice cup of coffee even with the mistake.

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »
Count me in!  Travel/lotteries obviously don't count against my temp toy timeout.

Got it.

B|Java

EricBNC

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
I agree - people spend way too much time measuring this and that - the way I make espresso it's like trying a different kind of coffee every time.  Variety is the spice of life, so they say.

As to the tamper, I wish I could use a 58mm but my filter basket is too small.  I will enjoy reading what others think though - I believe Espro makes a 53mm too.
With all the self serving posts my desperate cry for help has gone unnoticed.  I do not even have a machine with a standard size 58mm portafilter. :-[
This site should hold me an intervention like that home make over show.  I can see it now - I roll on in the drive greeted by cameras, news crews, and a a spokesperson with a microphone leading me to the new espresso shrine in my house.  This Espro tamper (58mm) is there too in my dream. 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »

With all the self serving posts my desperate cry for help has gone unnoticed.  I do not even have a machine with a standard size 58mm portafilter. :-[
This site should hold me an intervention like that home make over show.  I can see it now - I roll on in the drive greeted by cameras, news crews, and a a spokesperson with a microphone leading me to the new espresso shrine in my house.  This Espro tamper (58mm) is there too in my dream. 

Count yourself fortunate that you don't use a 58mm PF.  53's have much better articulation of flavor, more depth and complexity.  ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »

Count yourself fortunate that you don't use a 58mm PF.  53's have much better articulation of flavor, more depth and complexity.  ;)
Not to mention the 53s are easier to apply consistent pressure.  The 58s are inconsistent at best. ;D